Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

View Poll Results: Are you satisfied with the Kindle's newspaper reading experience ?
Yes 8 44.44%
Yes but I'd like GUI improvements 4 22.22%
No 3 16.67%
Don't know 3 16.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-15-2008, 10:44 AM   #1
Kremo
Kremo began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Librie + Nokia N70
Reading newspapers on a Kindle

Hi guys,

I'd like to buy a Kindle to read... not books, but newspapers and magazines.

Is there someone so kind(le) to post some snapshots of the user experience when reading i.e. the WSJ or Forbes ?

Thanks a lot

Kremo
Kremo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 11:40 AM   #2
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
No pics, but for what it's worth, the only thing I tried was Time magazine, and it was a disaster. I could live with the lack of pictures or graphics, but navigating through it was weird and very annoying. After the two free issues, I canceled it. Even at $1.99 a month, it was not worth it.
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 12:03 PM   #3
Kremo

Thanks.
Do you know if the lack of pictures and graphics is a Time's issue or a general Kindle's one ? (at least for what's related to Magazines/Newspapers). In other words: do u know if newspapers have pictures and graphics ?
Old 02-15-2008, 12:35 PM   #4
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kremo View Post
Thanks.
Do you know if the lack of pictures and graphics is a Time's issue or a general Kindle's one ? (at least for what's related to Magazines/Newspapers). In other words: do u know if newspapers have pictures and graphics ?
No, but go to the papers' site on Amazon and read the user reviews. I did that after the Time fiasco, and found most of them rated it pretty low for the reasons I found.
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 01:09 PM   #5
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
I read the Washington Post and the New York Times daily, and the Nation weekly and the Atlantic Monthly.... er.. monthly.

The periodical option was actually a big part in me choosing the Kindle and I've been very happy with it. There are, as mentioned, few pictures most the time but it kind of changes from issue to issue. Hopefully, in the future they will make better efforts in this regard. But that being said, I find it to be absolutely amazing and reading the papers every morning is a favorite part of my day.

I'd do the following... order a Kindle, see how you like it (because, ultimately, hands on experience is really the only way to evaluate the thing. I researched the hell out of it and until I had it in hand I had no idea regarding what kind of device I was getting) and if you don't like it, return it. Amazon has a 30 day return policy on the device.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 01:12 PM   #6
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
The only pictures I've seen are on blogs and most of the time they aren't very good.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 03:07 PM   #7
sheureka
sheureka is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle
I read the NYTimes every morning and have found it very easy to navigate and find the article and sections I'm really interested in. Here are a few pics - they aren't very good but do show you some of the options available. - sheureka
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0384 [800x600].JPG
Views:	1821
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	10414   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0387 [800x600].JPG
Views:	2211
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	10415   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0386 [800x600].JPG
Views:	2075
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	10416  
sheureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 10:53 AM   #8
Kremo

Thanks a lot Sheureka, and Gideon and KlondikeGeoff too.

Based on Sheureka's pics, It seems that the reading experience is easy even if quite different from the traditional "paper-based" one. In other words: the ePaper version of a newspaper is different not only because of the "medium" but also because of the layout.

I wonder if and when is available a paper-like version of newspapers on epaper devices... think about having a (smaller) 1st page version of the NYT, like you may see on true paper, and then being able to "click"/touch an article to read it at a comfortable font size...

Anyhow... just "dreaming". I think I'll go for Gideon suggestion.

THanks
Old 02-18-2008, 11:25 AM   #9
Kremo

I'd like to get some (more) quick answer... so I've just added a quick poll to this post.
Kremo
Old 02-18-2008, 02:35 PM   #10
xianfox
Ebook Addict
xianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it is

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
The lack of photos is likely due to licensing issues from AP and Reuters. The company I work for publishes a bi-weekly magazine. I generate .mobi and .lit for each issue without images due to the high cost AP wants for licensing those images for electronic distribution. Until emagazines and enewspapers begin generating significant revenue I wouldn't look for images to be included in these publications.
xianfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 02:54 PM   #11
bwit
Huh?
bwit doesn't litterbwit doesn't litterbwit doesn't litter

Device: Amazon Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by xianfox View Post
The lack of photos is likely due to licensing issues from AP and Reuters. The company I work for publishes a bi-weekly magazine. I generate .mobi and .lit for each issue without images due to the high cost AP wants for licensing those images for electronic distribution. Until emagazines and enewspapers begin generating significant revenue I wouldn't look for images to be included in these publications.
I suspect you are right. I subscribe to Reader's Digest on the Kindle and there are a fair number of images in each issue. Of course, I also subscribe to Fortune and I don't think I've ever seen a single image in it.

Bob
bwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 04:08 PM   #12
radleyp
Evangelist
radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle Global, iphone4, ipad
Kremo, one further note: the NYTimes publishes a mobile edition (mobile.nytimes.com) as does the WallStreetJournal (their version is still in beta, just go to wsj.com) intended for phones. Using the Kindle's browser I have accessed them (they are free) and find that they format well and include a few pictures: the content appears to be the same as the version provided by Amazon. The only real difference is that they have to be read while you are connected, content is not downloaded onto the Kindle.
radleyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 05:13 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by xianfox View Post
Catch-22. They won't generate enough revenue to include the photos and because the photos aren't there, the reading experience won't be all that good.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 05:39 PM   #14
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
I don't own a Kindle but I made some comments this last fall about electronic editions of the NYTimes that I should correct. I had said then that the web page articles appeared to be abridged versions of the more complete daily newsprint versions and speculated therefore that the Kindle version is likely abridged, too. So I recently signed up for a free trial of the full electronic edition of the NYTimes (which is an exact copy of each page of the newsprint edition) and compared it to the web page articles. I found no differences at all for the many articles that I compared. So aside from fewer advertisements and photos the Kindle edition of the NYTimes just might be the complete version of that paper.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 05:48 PM   #15
radleyp
Evangelist
radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle Global, iphone4, ipad
My experience is that all the main articles are there, but I cannot swear that absolutely all the articles are. If the NYT does eliminate some content, I don't see the basis for the choices: I did compare the Book Review (my favorite section of the NYT) and I can assure you that every single article in the print version was reproduced. Has anyone here done a comparison? Yes, there are far fewer pictures, but somehow that does not bother me. You are right that every article is exactly the same as in the print version. And consider the price: $13.99 a month, where 4 Sunday newsprint copies cost $18 today! And remember, the mobile version is free!
radleyp is offline   Reply With Quote