Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 02-06-2011, 02:49 PM   #1
WillRead
WillRead began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook 902
Exclamation PocketBook 902 Brick

I'm about to find out what type of company PocketBook USA is. My PocketBook 902 is less than 2 months old and is dead. I will be contacting support tomorrow to see how helpful they are. This, I find, is the litmus test of a company: any company will happily sell you their products, but will they stand behind them when you have a problem?

For example, I had an HP laptop die, and when I contacted HP support, they confirmed a diagnosis of a dead motherboard, and shipped me an empty carton & a prepaid shipping label. All I had to do was package up the computer and place a call to have it picked up. HP took care of everything else. It cost me nothing. So while I was disappointed to have a dead computer, I was impressed with how simple and painless the repair proved to be. They kept my loyalty. We'll see how PocketBook does.

As for my PocketBook problem, I tried installing the new firmware (2.0.4). I printed out the instructions to make sure I would have no problems. I started the install 18 hours ago, and here is what my screen now says:
-----------------------------
Firmware update
swupdate version Oct 19 2010.16:41:51
Searching for update image...
Updating from SD card...
Device serial number: EPxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Checking update image...
Image is OK
Press center key to start update
Unknown image type: s
Running update code...
Running update code...

cramfs updating ok
-----------------------

The thing is quite dead. The power button does nothing. Pocking a paper clip into to reset buttons does nothing. The green power light was on all night, but now that I've unplugged it, that too is now dead. Nothing does nothing. It's dead.

So now I will find out how PocketBook does. Will they stand behind their products & customers, or will they treat me like a leper? I'll let you know.
WillRead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 03:26 PM   #2
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillRead View Post
The thing is quite dead. The power button does nothing. Pocking a paper clip into to reset buttons does nothing. The green power light was on all night, but now that I've unplugged it, that too is now dead. Nothing does nothing. It's dead.
Try disconnecting the battery (and of course connecting it back) before you send it.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 04:18 PM   #3
MmavisO
Seeker
MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Asus TF, PB 360, Jetbook Lite
I've had quite good experiences with PB support. One Saturday when I called, I even talked to the president of NA operations! I live near one of their two stores, and after I explained the problem I was having, she told me to bring my IQ in to the store, and to have them call her if there was any problems exchanging it. There weren't; they just asked me what color I wanted. They had even taken back units that didn't have Bluetooth because there was a misunderstanding in the beginning about whether Bluetooth is possible on the IQ--it isn't, but a few had been sold with the understanding that it was. They took 'em back with no question or problem. My experience has been that their customer service is what it should be--painless.
MmavisO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 04:49 PM   #4
WillRead
WillRead began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook 902
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
Try disconnecting the battery (and of course connecting it back) before you send it.
kacir, you are indeed a wizard! I did as you suggested and it continued the update, and is now back to normal.

Thanks a whole bunch!

Looks like I won't find out about PocketBook's customer relations quite yet.
WillRead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 05:06 PM   #5
troll05
Harmless idiot
troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB622, Nexus7, Sony PRS 350, Tolino und nur noch wenig toter Baum:(
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillRead View Post
Looks like I won't find out about PocketBook's customer relations quite yet.
That's fine, but I guess you will find out that your PB will die with nearly every new update.

I had the same phemomenon now five or six times in different stages of updating, but after calling my support the first time I now wait a maximum of 2 minutes without action, the I press the reset button and after that the update always continued. So maybe it was the long time so your device switched to keylock without showing (I heard it can happen without the symbol showing up)

Best luck for the future, and keep
troll05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 05:33 AM   #6
Bonex
Connoisseur
Bonex began at the beginning.

Device: KDXG, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura HD
It's happening to me too now!!!
I'm SO ANGRY!
I tried to install this firmware because the dictionary in Adobe Reader doesn't work correctly, but something now tells me it was a bad idea.
I'm trying to remove the back panel to take the battery out...

EDIT:
It worked. When I turned the reader back on, the update process continued. Sorry for the angry post.
But I'm thinking to return to the old firmware. Not only the dictionary with pdf's isn't working, but it is now worse with epubs!! Now I have to wait for the reader to search and display every word I move on while reaching for the word I need. Now imagine if the word you want is at the top of the page... Ah... and the virtual keyboard is slower too...

Last edited by Bonex; 02-21-2011 at 06:41 AM.
Bonex is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
customer, firmware, pocketbook, support