Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 01-30-2011, 09:21 PM   #1
nulall
nulall began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Nook Crashes on Loading Tables in Converted EPUB

I have a book that I needed to convert from HTML to EPUB, but was having a problem with the tables in the document being too wide. I looked into it and figured out that the problem was that the tables were set to fixed widths in the HTML code. I removed the fixed width stuff so that the tables could adjust to the display size. The resultant document works perfectly on the Calibre ebook viewer (I used caliber for the HTML --> EPUB conversion), but now my Nook chokes on the document and jumps back to my library any time I try to view a page with a table. If I linearize the table in Calibre's conversion settings I don't have to worry about my Nook crashing, but then the tables become somewhat useless. Does anyone have any suggestions?
nulall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:33 AM   #2
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
WHen you say you removed the fixed length stuff, do you mean you just removed it or did you replace it with % specifications? If not, I think you should do that and it might help the Nook format the tables.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2011, 01:43 AM   #3
nulall
nulall began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAH View Post
WHen you say you removed the fixed length stuff, do you mean you just removed it or did you replace it with % specifications? If not, I think you should do that and it might help the Nook format the tables.
i removed it entirely. i'll try the replacement, i guess with 100% width settings, but i'm not sure what to do for the height, so i'll probably leave that out and see what happens.
nulall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:58 AM   #4
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
When I said "fixed length," I really meant "width," so yes, try using width="nn%" specs in the table and see if that helps. I understand that it is better if you carefully make the numbers add up to 100%. For example, if you have a 3 column table, on the 3 TD statements, specify width= statements that add up to 100 (e.g. 20, 20, 60).

Certainly worth a try.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote