Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-24-2013, 08:51 AM   #1
bla
E bookworm
bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T1,Android Tablet, I phone
More T1 issues

Normally I just use dropbox to get new non drm books onto the reader, the other day I needed to plug the reader in to copy some books to the pc, I plugged it in selected "data transfer mode) and used windoze (XP) explorer to copy the books to the pc then I unplugged it and went to the home screen... I noticed the double arrows circling in the status bar... I didn't pay much heed.. I figured it was just reloading the books list (I have about a 1000 books loaded) but after 10 minutes the status bar still showed the double arrows.. it didn't seem to affect the operation of the device finally I had to do a soft reset to clear it... somewhat intriqued I plugged the reader in to the pc again and copied some more stuff to my pc... when I unplugged I got the same thing happening had to do a soft reset... I have a bog-standard gateway laptop running windoze XP home edition, PC reader is disabled...I have calibre installed but it was not running.. got me scratching my head as to why doing a copy from the reader would trigger this activity and what is it doing? it's not a big deal to me .. I rarely plug the reader into the pc just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this?
bla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:12 AM   #2
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Did you copy a large quantity of books over? It can be a few minutes for the arrows in the status bar to circle when you copy a large quantity. It's basically incorporating them into the database structure, I think. 10 minutes sounds like a long time though.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:30 AM   #3
bla
E bookworm
bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No actually in one case I just copied ONE book from the Download folder to my pc.. still sat "loading" I also have my books list set up for title not covers so it doesn't have to reload all those thumbnails... I am only guessing that any folder activity , even a simple copy operation must trigger a complete refresh of the contents that would be ok but thenit seems to get stuck at some point... I can download new books from dropbox without any of this happening.. as I said it's no big deal I will just avoid plugging the device in except to update the firmware or when I really need to
Old 02-24-2013, 11:33 AM   #4
bla
E bookworm

Plus note that I am copying the book FROM the device to my pc so there is no actual change to the contents of the reader
Old 02-24-2013, 12:48 PM   #5
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Did you actually EJECT the device? Your post said unplugged. Sometimes just pulling the USB cord from the computer or the device without actually ejecting it causes problems.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:56 PM   #6
bla
E bookworm

No I didn't "eject" the concepts of "mount" dismount"... Eject" etc are foreign to windoze XP home edition.. I did make sure that all copy operations were complete
Old 02-24-2013, 02:35 PM   #7
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Are you certain about that bla, that doesn't sound right? Safely ejecting/removing something connected via USB is not something that's dependant on which version of Windows you are running? I used to run Windows XP Home and don't remember that... though I do have a rotten memory, so excuse me if I'm wrong!

Even if the USB icon doesn't appear on the taskbar, you should still be able to go into windows explorer and find the device connected via USB and right click there to choose to eject it.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 03:36 PM   #8
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bla View Post
No I didn't "eject" the concepts of "mount" dismount"... Eject" etc are foreign to windoze XP home edition.. I did make sure that all copy operations were complete
You're wrong on that. You still have to eject the reader or any other device for that matter before just pulling the plug. You screwed up the reader by not doing so.

It's been a while since I've used XP so I had to look it up but you do have to eject/Safely Remove Hardware and here's a Microsoft link to show you how.

Safely Remove Hardware on Windows XP

And here's a YouTube video showing how to add them to the taskbar

Fixing Taskbar to Show Safe Removal Icon

Or barring any of that, just go to Windows Explorer, find the drive, right click and select eject as l_macd already stated.

Last edited by Shopaholic; 02-24-2013 at 03:41 PM.
Old 02-24-2013, 03:43 PM   #9
VelvetElvis
Addict
VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Fire HD8, Asus, Sony (T1, PRS-300), Kobo (Glo, Touch, Wireless)
Quote:
"Safely remove hardware.." is there for a good reason, and it has nothing to do with the version of XP you're running.

A couple of years ago, back in my XP days, I did some volunteer database development for a regional hospital. The copy dialog closed after the copy completed. I copied all the db files to my thumb drive, and later on, pulled the stick and drove the 35 miles to the hospital. Couldn't load the database. Learned my lesson. Cached writes will bite you some day if you don't eject.
VelvetElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:25 PM   #10
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Plus note that I am copying the book FROM the device to my pc so there is no actual change to the contents of the reader
Sorry. I misread your post. I agree with the others to make sure that you always safely eject your reader before disconnecting the USB cable. On my Mac I have to eject two items: both the Reader and Setup as separate "disks".
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:32 PM   #11
bla
E bookworm

I was being a bit facetious about windoze... my point was that windoze does not have that facility built in.. when you install a cd/dvd drive thatfunctionality is supplied by the hardware drivers not windoze.. with usb drives/devices there is no eject function in the context menu there is a "safely remove hardware function that does a similar thing... flushing the buffers etc this is not normally a problem with usb devices as they do not use the same type of data buffering as regular drives... it's no matter I very much doubt that this is the cause of the T1 issues...
Old 02-24-2013, 07:50 PM   #12
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!

It may not be officially labelled as Eject but Safely Remove Hardware is the same thing and yes it will cause issues when you don't eject or safely remove the reader properly from the computer. Ejecting/Safely Removing is built in as part of Windows not the device.

The same thing happened to me once with my T1 when I just pulled the plug.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:00 AM   #13
Ashjuk
Fanatic
Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 600/650
Whilst I agree it is always best practice to eject a USB device if you can, it is actually strictly not necessary as long as you have got write caching turned off and the device is not being actively written to at the time.

Personally I never eject any of my USB drives - either flash or hard disk - and so far I've never had a problem. I just leave sufficient time after any file create/move/copy operations and then just pull it out.
Ashjuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:34 PM   #14
bla
E bookworm

I made sure the simple copy procedure was complete.. I have a suspicion that something else is going on when windoze accesses the device... no matter I shall avoid plugging it in unless absolutely necessary.. I had a look at the running processes on the laptop but there was nothing there that seemed strange.. ah well
Old 02-25-2013, 03:48 PM   #15
luvduchovny
Zealot
luvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melon

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500, PRS-600, PRS-650, PRS-T1, PRS-T3
Anytime you plug in a usb device on the bottom right corner of the taskbar there is a funky icon that you and right-click and choose eject. Sometimes when you have the reader plugged in and select eject it may say it can't do it. (This happens even with Windows 8 which is what I am using at home). Sometimes I give it a few minutes and try again and it will let me eject the device. I don't know if it is sony and windows doing some behind the scenes talking to each other or what. I do know if I say screw it and unplug I get a nasty message on my reader saying I didn't disconnect correctly and that it stopped charging the reader. So far it hasn't screwed up anything but I'm sure one day when I get tired and unplug it without doing the eject thing that it will get huffy and screw something up.
luvduchovny is offline   Reply With Quote