Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-15-2021, 12:02 PM   #16
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
It definitely looks like it has an "oranger" orange screen.
I hope the Libra has that "oranger" orange screen.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 04:37 PM   #17
mezzanine
Groupie
mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KA1, Clara, Aura HD
Im always skeptical of comparison photos, but the side-by-side of dark mode in the last picture reveals a dramatic difference in the black levels between the two devices, as the author suggests. Surprising, as the difference appears more significant than the 15% e-ink states in their marketing.
mezzanine is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2021, 04:53 PM   #18
mezzanine
Groupie
mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KA1, Clara, Aura HD
I was curious whether the increased contrast would be visible in standard black-on-white mode and it appears as though the Libra 2 text is bolder in the same way as when one increases font weight. Positive news for someone who was doubtful there would be any easily perceivable difference between the Carta screens we are used to and the new, 1200 variant.

Now Im annoyed the new Paperwhite didnt adopt the new screen. I find the Libra 2 more compelling than the Sage, even though Im far more predisposed to want the Sage. Of course they raised the price on the Libra 2 despite the increased competition from the new Paperwhite.

If I was Kobo, Id have come up with a 7 inch Clara HD model to compete with the new Paperwhite and dropped the Libra altogether.
mezzanine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 12:27 AM   #19
Almamida
Guru
Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage - Kindle PW5 & Voyage - iPad Pro M1 12.9
I have to say that I’m impressed by this Survitamined Libra2 on the paper. Would be curious to see how both compare.
I might buy one in December if I stop by Zurich.
Almamida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 07:05 AM   #20
supermighty
Groupie
supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libre 2
I'm really curious about the Tolino Vision 6 and the Libra 2.

Generally it's much harder to swap out a SoC (system on chip) than it is ram. So the ram difference seems normal, but different cpu speeds would mean it's also probably a different mainboard.

I would assume it's the same case for both, but with space and mount points for two different mainboards. That or the spec of 1Ghz for the Libra 2 is wrong.
supermighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2021, 02:21 PM   #21
kyôdai
Zealot
kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by mezzanine View Post
If I was Kobo, Id have come up with a 7 inch Clara HD model to compete with the new Paperwhite and dropped the Libra altogether.
I would guess the Libra 2 and the Sage have been in development / production well before the new Paperwhite was announced. The announcements were only 2 weeks apart, so there really was no time for Kobo to react, yet.

I don't think it will be a threat for Tolino though.

Tolino already has a much more aggressive pricing strategy. While the Vision 5 has an MSRP of €179, the market price is usually around €130 and even dipped below €100 a couple of times in recent month.

So if anything, Amazon is catching up to Tolino with the new Paperwhite, not the other way around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermighty View Post
That or the spec of 1Ghz for the Libra 2 is wrong.
It does seem strange, that Kobo is using the quad-core CPU for all their new devices (Elipsa, Sage, Vision 6) except the Libra 2. Maybe it is because of the pandemic, that they could not get enough of the quad-core chips?

I don't think it will be a problem though. The Libra's performance was fine and it is not geared towards note-taking or PDF files like the Elipsa or Sage.

The Vision 6 on the other hand is running Android and Tolino has been known for performance issues these last couple of years. So it should profit a lot more from the more powerful chip than the Libra 2 would.
kyôdai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 03:47 PM   #22
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanplan View Post
Two things of note:
1. I think that the unspecified 1ghz CPU for the Libra 2 is just an error, otherwise the device would just be a screen refresh in a different body.
2. Thalia (and the other stores) sell audiobooks so I'd imagine that this information is just incomplete. They even provide their competitor model for an audiobook subscription.
Didn't the Aura One and Forma use the same SoC? Most Kobos for like the past 5 years? My guess is Android 8.1 needs more power to run well than Kobo's Linux OS and that necessitated beefier hardware. Seems like this is a mash up of the Sage and Libra 2. Sage internals with Libra 2 body (and Bluetooth antenna removed to save 60 cents).
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 08:57 AM   #23
rantanplan
Fanatic
rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite (2021), Boox Note Air 2+, Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrik View Post
Is if feasable to install android apps on Tolinos?
Sure, the Vision 6 will use Android 8.1 and you can install other apps via debug menu.
rantanplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 10:51 AM   #24
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Wow, big noticeable difference in black especially with dark mode. I'm excited for the new Carta screen
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 01:09 PM   #25
Krios
Zealot
Krios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five words

Device: Bookeen Odyssey FrontLight 2, Pocketbook Inkpad 3, Kobo Libra 2
Frontlight at lower brightness also seems to be more even this time, at least to me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Displayvergleich_TolinoVision5_vs_TolinoVision6_Geringe-Farbtemperatur.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	200.2 KB
ID:	189687  

Last edited by Krios; 10-18-2021 at 01:17 PM.
Krios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 12:40 PM   #26
kyôdai
Zealot
kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
In addition to the standard sleep-covers, Tolino also releases a couple of special covers with a more colourful design.

These 6 covers are available for the Vision 6 (and should also fit the Libra 2):

-> Green Stiches
-> Reindeer
-> Wine Red
-> Blue / Yellow
-> Antracite
-> Cotton Red
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	41503634_null_xl.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	306.8 KB
ID:	189783   Click image for larger version

Name:	41503635_null_xl.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	140.6 KB
ID:	189784   Click image for larger version

Name:	tolino-vision-6-schutztasche-in-lederoptik-farbe-3.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	486.1 KB
ID:	189785   Click image for larger version

Name:	tolino-vision-6-schutztasche-in-lederoptik-farbe-32.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	266.0 KB
ID:	189786   Click image for larger version

Name:	6c2d2f3a605d541f1b3a79b3eef320296fffd608-00-00.jpeg
Views:	200
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	189787   Click image for larger version

Name:	a3ab4251d476a355e9a3152b6920af2211ea152a-00-00.jpeg
Views:	191
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	189788  
kyôdai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 03:49 PM   #27
Mel_anie
Mel_anie began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Transfer calibre (Mac) -> Tolino Vision 6

Hi everyone.
I'm thinking about getting the Vision 6, but as for the fact I have read the posting of "papierlos-lesen", I'm concerned about not being able to use calibre anymore to transfer my ebooks to the Vision 6. In the posting it is stated, that the new Vision uses the MTP-protocol and it won't work with calibre on a Mac. The calibre manual, on the other hand, states MTP as a possible protocol to use with an Android device.
Has anyone experience with this issue: using the Tolino Vision 6 with calibre on a Mac? Anyone who had a device to test before the upcoming release tomorrow?
Thank you so much and best regards, Melanie
Mel_anie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 04:10 PM   #28
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel_anie View Post
Hi everyone.
I'm thinking about getting the Vision 6, but as for the fact I have read the posting of "papierlos-lesen", I'm concerned about not being able to use calibre anymore to transfer my ebooks to the Vision 6. In the posting it is stated, that the new Vision uses the MTP-protocol and it won't work with calibre on a Mac. The calibre manual, on the other hand, states MTP as a possible protocol to use with an Android device.
Has anyone experience with this issue: using the Tolino Vision 6 with calibre on a Mac? Anyone who had a device to test before the upcoming release tomorrow?
I haven't used a Vision 6 with an M1 Mac but I have used my Lenovo Android tablet with one and MTP, at least for the Tab M8 FHD, does work so unless Kobo did something very strange with the Vision 6's implementation of Android, it should work.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 01:57 AM   #29
rantanplan
Fanatic
rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite (2021), Boox Note Air 2+, Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel_anie View Post
Hi everyone.
I'll test that tomorrow / Thursday, depending when I have the time for it.
rantanplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 03:09 AM   #30
Mel_anie
Mel_anie began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanplan View Post
I'll test that tomorrow / Thursday, depending when I have the time for it.
Have you had the time to check?
Mel_anie is offline   Reply With Quote