Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: If simple life extension technology were available, how long would you want to live?
Not for me. I prefer Nature's way. 9 29.03%
100 years 1 3.23%
150 years 2 6.45%
200 years 0 0%
Less than 500 yesrs 1 3.23%
As long as could get the technology to work! 18 58.06%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-11-2021, 10:42 AM   #31
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Interesting that the two highest categories are "as long as possible" and "nature's way". Not very many picked a specific number of years.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 10:43 AM   #32
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I'm too late to vote, but I'm certainly in the As Long As Possible category.

I'm not sure I understand the "Not for me. I prefer Nature's way" crowd.
I feel like I've been around a long time already. And based on family history I probably have another 30 years to go. I just don't feel a need to extend that.
Advert
Old 10-11-2021, 11:27 AM   #33
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
I feel like I've been around a long time already. And based on family history I probably have another 30 years to go. I just don't feel a need to extend that.
Hmm... I wonder if you'll feel the same way in 25 years time?

I've enjoyed my time so far and, if I remain in good health, I can't see why I'd want it to stop after some arbitrary number of years.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 01:39 PM   #34
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Hmm... I wonder if you'll feel the same way in 25 years time?

I've enjoyed my time so far and, if I remain in good health, I can't see why I'd want it to stop after some arbitrary number of years.
I feel the same as you, but my sister feels like 4691mls does. So I guess people are just as different in this as in everything else.

Edit: My grandmother (died when 85) and father (died when almost 80) were more in my crowd than my sister's in this respect. My granny was ill with cancer for the last 4 years of her life, but she didn't want to die until the very end. I don't know how my mother (84) feels, as she has had progressive dementia for several years, which is pretty advanced by now (she no longer knows who my sister is and speaks very little in general. She still recognizes me. But for the most part she dwells in her own tiny bubble).

Last edited by Sirtel; 10-11-2021 at 01:55 PM.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 01:59 PM   #35
4691mls
Wizard

I've had relatives who lived into at least their late 80's (and one or two into their 90's) and they all eventually got to a point where they would say they were tired and ready to go, even if they didn't have a terminal illness like cancer.
Advert
Old 10-11-2021, 02:44 PM   #36
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
I hope everybody enjoyed the thought problem.
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 04:17 PM   #37
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
30+ years of Pain No thanks take me Now or could have taken me decades ago! But I expect my life span will go into my 90s sigh well 30 years of More pain ugh
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 04:49 PM   #38
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
30+ years of Pain No thanks take me Now or could have taken me decades ago! But I expect my life span will go into my 90s sigh well 30 years of More pain ugh
I'm sorry to hear that you're in pain.

But the question assumes the life extension comes with good health, which would include being free from chronic pain.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 09:46 PM   #39
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Pain free thats a joke... they have the means now but refuse to use it!
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 12:22 AM   #40
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
> As long as could get the technology to work!

This one is scary. It might lead to premature passing. I fear technology has already passed me.
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 07:45 AM   #41
ryuji35
Zealot
ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PPW5 Signature, Kobo Libra 2, Samsung Tab S6 Lite
This might sound morbid but I look forward to death. This world is just so messed up that only people who are rich can really maximize what life can offer. Forget religion, most of the time, money is the answer. And I hate that.
ryuji35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 03:22 AM   #42
timebug
Ancient Sage
timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Reader
I am old enough to accept what might be around the corner at any time from now; but purely sentimentally, to see my family grow up and their own children grow up, I would not mind a slight extension!
timebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 11:35 AM   #43
arjaybe
Wizard
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
It occurs to me that one's nose and ears continue to grow throughout one's life. We might need to invent some new social norms to accommodate that.
arjaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2023, 01:06 PM   #44
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And the research keeps rolling.

General review.

https://joshmitteldorf.scienceblog.c...tion/#comments

Actual research paper (from Nature).

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-023-39370-5
Old 08-14-2023, 01:18 PM   #45
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer

On the original research that started this poll; Young pig blood fractions called E5 (which do contain the EVs from the above post) led to a 10-20 percent increased lifespan in the test rats (versus controls); and rejuvenated the rats as well. Similar tests by another group using mice and neonatal mouse plasma also show rejuvenation effects, but was not carried to aging death.)

Waiting for the preprint - any time now.