Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Sunrise

Notices

Old 03-07-2006, 08:04 AM   #1
gomby
gomby began at the beginning.

Device: Tungsten E2
Banned!

I tried out Sunrise XP yesterday to download some sites (well, actually I downloaded their RSS feed). Today my network is banned from Slashdot. Other sites has no problems.

From Slashdot information page:

Either your network or ip address has been banned from Slashdot

...due to script flooding that originated from your network or ip address -- or this IP might have been used to post comments designed to break web browser rendering. Or you crawled us with a rude robot, especially one that doesn't understand RFCs very well.

Can someone inform me about Sunrise XP behavior when crawling a site? Perhaps I made mistakes as well. I tried out configurations to get the best performance ( I use an old computer) and reload each time I change a setting. And Slashdot was the guinea pig for the tweaking.
Old 03-07-2006, 08:23 AM   #2
Jaapjan
Avid reader
Jaapjan doesn't litterJaapjan doesn't litter

Device: HTC Touch Diamond, iLiad Book Edition
Using a major/large site for 'guinea pigging' is never a good idea, regardless of what you are doing. And if you have no choice, being very careful is always a good thing.

I think slashdot did not like your repeated attempts at crawling the same set of pages? Perhaps you can send them an email and explain what you were trying to do.
Advert
Old 03-07-2006, 09:00 AM   #3
gomby

I chose Slashdot exactly because it is a major site (they will have a big bandwidth, and can withstand some crawling). Well, stupid, perhaps I should try our internal website instead--but then I won't get real-world performance example. I am using my office network.

Actually I was already trying to be careful. I chose "update only if source has changed" Maybe that option didn't help to download.

For information I was trying to find what the best settings for link depth when following links in a site. It seems link depth of 1 is optimal for my computer (and my network).
Old 03-07-2006, 09:05 AM   #4
gomby

I have just found a post from 2003 that had a similar problem with Slashdot from iSilo section<a href="https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=330">here </a>. Seems a recurrent problem.
Old 03-07-2006, 09:08 AM   #5
jlogday
jlogday began at the beginning.

Device: Treo 650
Slashdot has a FAQ about accessing their RSS feeds and what will get you banned:
http://slashdot.org/faq/accounts.shtml#ac1050

Basically, don't hit the RSS more than once every 30 minutes. And yes, even if you use the "update only if source has changed" option, it will still hit the RSS to see if it has changed.
Advert
Old 03-07-2006, 09:22 AM   #6
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
Sunrise XP uses up to two simultaneous connections per server, as recommended by the HTTP spec.

E-mail Slashdot to explain and they'll probably unban you.
Old 03-07-2006, 10:23 AM   #7
Chaos
Evangelist
Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Assorted older devices
I suggest you don't hit Slashdot directly (RSS or otherwise) for reading on a PDA due to it's tendancy to ban. Look at Avantslash, for example.

I've got AvantSlash setup here, and you can use it if you want... Just don't hit it too hard, either, please. (Once, maybe twice a day max, please - it's just an old PII sitting in my basement, after all, with only about 60 kb/s upload. Also you'll probably want to set it to stay on the same server, or else it will pull all the offsite links as well. I could turn the links off, but I figured *someone* might actually want them on.)

Last edited by Chaos; 03-30-2006 at 12:11 AM. Reason: Corrected my avantslash setup url
Old 03-08-2006, 04:05 AM   #8
gomby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurens
Sunrise XP uses up to two simultaneous connections per server, as recommended by the HTTP spec.

E-mail Slashdot to explain and they'll probably unban you.
Hmm, the problem must be because I load the RSS feed too often then.
Anyway, thanks for all the replies. They are useful. I'll e-mail them soon.

Last edited by gomby; 03-08-2006 at 04:08 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 03-15-2006, 11:45 AM   #9
halr9000
halr9000 began at the beginning.

Device: Sprint/Audiovox PPC-6700
You may also want to try Alterslash's rss feed.

Note that you'll automatically get unbanned after a period of time, but I don't know what that time is.