Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-24-2020, 10:54 AM   #1
zoomiest
zoomiest began at the beginning.

Device: Pixel 3a
Calibre not opening on Kali Linux

Calibre was not opening on the KDE menu.
On the command line, I get the following output:

$ calibre
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/calibre", line 20, in <module>
sys.exit(calibre())
File "/usr/lib/calibre/calibre/gui_launch.py", line 73, in calibre
main(args)
File "/usr/lib/calibre/calibre/gui2/main.py", line 509, in main
app, opts, args = init_qt(args)
File "/usr/lib/calibre/calibre/gui2/main.py", line 122, in init_qt
app = Application(args, override_program_name=override, windows_app_uid=MAIN_APP_UID)
File "/usr/lib/calibre/calibre/gui2/__init__.py", line 885, in __init__
from calibre_extensions import progress_indicator
ImportError: /usr/lib/calibre/calibre/plugins/progress_indicator.so: undefined symbol: _Py_FatalErrorFunc

How can I resolve this?
zoomiest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 11:01 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Uninstall the distro provided calibre and install the official calibre binaries from https://calibre-ebook.com/download_linux
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 12:04 PM   #3
zoomiest
zoomiest began at the beginning.

Device: Pixel 3a
it worked perfectly, Kovid.
1. Many thanks for the quick, effective help, today.
2. Many more thanks for building and developing this amazing eBook Management system!
zoomiest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 02:51 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Linux suppositories are useless for Calibre.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 04:02 PM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Everything depends on the maintainer and how they approach their repository. I believe you'd find that eschwartz takes care to avoid issues in his archlinux ports.

Last edited by PeterT; 11-24-2020 at 06:03 PM.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 04:39 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
"particulate repository" is that a PC term for a 'sandbox'
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 06:06 PM   #7
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
"particulate repository" is that a PC term for a 'sandbox'
Editted to correct typo (The joys of having had multiple eye drops, laser treatment on my right eye's retina, not wearing contacts while eyes recover, and typing on a phone).
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 10:21 PM   #8
kcarscadden
Zealot
kcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavens

Device: iPad Air 5, Samsung Galaxy S20 FE
I agree with PeterT's endorsement of eschwartz's maintenance of Calibre on Arch Linux and its derivative Manjaro Linux. I've had no problems with it after installing on a Raspberry Pi 4.
kcarscadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 10:43 PM   #9
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Note that I only maintain it on Arch Linux, and only provide support to users on Arch Linux.

Arch Linux ARM will autobuild it for various ARM architectures, which should work fairly speedily. As this is merely CPU porting, no issues should be anticipated.

Manjaro is more or less "Arch, but a week or two slow, plus custom kernels you could have gotten from the AUR" because apparently getting Arch bugs a week later than everyone else, and the fix a week later too, is considered a form of stability. Admittedly I am obviously biased, but, personally, I do not believe this provides a strong value add...
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 01:00 AM   #10
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Linux suppositories are useless for Calibre.
I'd be afraid to use a Linux suppository...
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 07:28 PM   #11
kcarscadden
Zealot
kcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavens

Device: iPad Air 5, Samsung Galaxy S20 FE
eschwartz, you do sound a little biased! , I expect with good reason.

I am newish to Linux, and found Manjaro much easier to install. I expect after this experience, I would now be in a better position to try Arch Linux again sometime soon.
kcarscadden is offline   Reply With Quote