Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 11-28-2011, 03:10 AM   #1
tttny
tttny began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch 1st Gen
Stanza/Calibre Problems with 1st gen iPod Touch

Greetings!

I'm trying to transfer a book from an iMac (running Mac OS 10.6.8) to a First Generation iPod Touch, running OS 3.1.3. Stanza is loaded on the iPod Touch, and seems to work; I can download and read books from Gutenberg and Book Glutton

The book in question ("On Hallowed Ground," by James McPherson), is a library download from the NY Public Library in acsm format. Of course it is protected by DRM, but the NYPL epub help page says that I can download the book to an iPod Touch using Adobe Digital Editions (ADE).

ADE is supposed to recognize my device and display it in the left sidebar. It doesn't do this, but it does launch and display the book. In addition, it created epub files for the book in ~Documents/Digital Editions. I've imported these epub files into Calibre, but I can't get them to open on my device in Stanza.

I've tried the Content Server. In the Stanza App running on my device I carefully created a calibre book source, using the IP address http://[local wifi address]:8080/stanza. I try to load calibre as a book source. After "Loading ..." for a while, I get a catalog error ("timed out") with "Catalog is Empty" in the background.

So I tried email, creating a gmail book source. Using Calibre I emailed the epub file to my gmail account. Switching to Firefox, I logged in to my gmail account and confirmed that that the epub file had arrived. But when I press on the gmail source in Stanza, instead of being prompted to enter my gmail login and password, I get the message "Catalog is Empty."

It's been a long time since I've spent so long trying to troubleshoot a computer/device issue with so little luck.

Note that I'm restricted to running OS 3.1.3 on my 1st Gen iPod, a vintage of hardware (4 years old) and software (2 years old) that by internet standards is aged. Perhaps the moral is "stop complaining and buy a new device." But since the Stanza App runs on my iPod, it should work, or else present a conspicuous message as to any functions which aren't supported. grrrrrr. (pardon my frustration!)

Thanks in advance.

Tom
P.S. My apologies to any who may have read substantially the same message on the stanza/getsatisfaction forum. No one has replied there.

Last edited by tttny; 11-28-2011 at 03:11 AM. Reason: added missing quote
tttny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:26 AM   #2
lilith12
lilith12 began at the beginning.

Device: ipod
I have the same problem!i've tried everything i found online (typing url,etc) but no use.is this a problem only for 1st gen ipod touch?
lilith12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2012, 08:31 AM   #3
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I did not think that Stanza supported the type of DRM used by Iibrary books?
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:01 AM   #4
lilith12

hello!
not sure what you meant but it's also a problem accessing the calibre server when i type http://<ip add>:8787/stanza in my IE browser. :S
Old 04-05-2012, 09:39 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilith12 View Post
hello!
not sure what you meant but it's also a problem accessing the calibre server when i type http://<ip add>:8787/stanza in my IE browser. :S
Step1: go to Preferences: share over the net configuration.
Start the server if not running. ( Was it supposed to be running already?)
Press the Test server button. (NB That uses the local Host IP that is valid only on your machine) Does that work?
If not, a firewall may be blocking port <your port> or program Calibre.exe

Step2: Try the IP:<your port> assigned to your system, from your system using IE or other browser.

Step3: try the same IP: port from another device on your LAN
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2012, 11:50 AM   #6
lilith12

thanks for your response!

the test server thing works fine (and my content server is on )

but when i try to replace the address in IE with my IP (as dictated by ipconfig /all) it's unable to access the calibre page.