Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-31-2018, 01:42 PM   #211
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
I've had a good June, 12 books completed totaling just over 4000 pages. I passed the 1/2 way point in my goal on the first so I am in really good shape right now.
I need to read 2,500 pages/month to meet my goal. I had a great June with over 4,800 pages read, my highest ever page total in a month.

July on the other hand stunk, less than 1,800 pages, only 70% of average. At least June made up for it.

Then August came...

I will finish August with over 5,500 pages read and 19 books completed both of which shatter my previous monthly highs.

I'm now on target for over 40,000 pages this year which is highly unlikely but even if I have only average months from here on out I will end up with 36,000 pages this year.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 01:55 PM   #212
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
August was a good month. 16 books read and only 6 bought!

My TBR is still up on the year, but if I can do half as well in September, I'll be pleased.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2018, 02:29 PM   #213
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
For me, too, August was a good month. I've read 10 book, 3733 pages, which is just over 200 pages above average. This is great because I was almost 600 pages behind average. I'm not sure if I can make it up; yes I'm going away for a week in November, but we're also getting two kittens and I'm not sure how conductive that is going to be for my reading challenge.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 11:48 AM   #214
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I abandoned my challenges months ago, as they just weren't happening this year. I'll have to do much better next year, as my topic challenges are really the point.

What is starting to get interesting is that I'm currently on track to hit 150 books and over 50,000 pages read, neither of which I've managed before. My benchmark goal of 120 was always just to keep a check in case my reading fell off too drastically, but 150 was always out of reach. The number of pages read is in part to keep it real; shorter books need to be offset by longer ones.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 01:05 PM   #215
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I abandoned my challenges months ago, as they just weren't happening this year. I'll have to do much better next year, as my topic challenges are really the point.

What is starting to get interesting is that I'm currently on track to hit 150 books and over 50,000 pages read, neither of which I've managed before. My benchmark goal of 120 was always just to keep a check in case my reading fell off too drastically, but 150 was always out of reach. The number of pages read is in part to keep it real; shorter books need to be offset by longer ones.
Too bad about the challenges, but 150 books! That's some going. I'm on 98 and am on track for my highest total since I started recording my reading in 2011 (110 books). Because of my travelling, I have a lot less reading time now, but that's balanced off by more time to listen to audiobooks. I managed to listen to the whole of Sleeping Beauties by Stephen and Owen King in a little over a week and that's 25 hours plus of listening. So I'm thinking maybe 130 books this year?
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2018, 02:50 PM   #216
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
August was a wash for the TBR, but I am doing well on my goal of 100 books - I'm at 77 now. My budget goal continues to be blown, but until Audible has their annual destroy-the-budget sale around Thanksgiving, I think I'll do well. Audiobookstand.com is now closed so I won't have any more $4 audio CDs tempting me.

I'm trying better to work in magazines into my regular reading schedule again. My goal was 15 this year, but so far 3. Granted, Asimov's magazine is now a double issue every time, but I still should be further ahead.

I have 14 of 45 books/audiobooks from 2010/2011 done. Some of the audiobooks are pretty long, like Pandora's Star (36 hours), so unlikely I will get the remaining 31 done before the end of the year. I only have 3 left from 2010, so at least I should get that year finished off.

So, I will just continue on and hopefully get a little more reading in this month than last.

Last edited by Tarana; 09-26-2018 at 12:43 PM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 03:01 PM   #217
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
Reading my 32nd book so my (low) goal will be met. With 4 more months in the year I could read another 10-15 books most likely, depending on their length. I could probably shoot for 45 books total.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 07:47 AM   #218
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Who here is on track to reach their goals? I am well past my pages to read goal, however I am going to need to look at if I will reach the number of books goal.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 09:22 AM   #219
Loves2Read4Fun
Loves2Read4Fun knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Loves2Read4Fun knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Loves2Read4Fun knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Loves2Read4Fun knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Loves2Read4Fun knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Loves2Read4Fun knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Loves2Read4Fun knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Loves2Read4Fun knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Loves2Read4Fun knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Loves2Read4Fun knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Loves2Read4Fun knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kobo Aura One
My goal was 30 books and I am currently at 49. This is the most I've ever read in a year!!
Loves2Read4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 11:25 AM   #220
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
I set my goal a thousand pages above my average pages/year but still managed to finish it on Saturday. It's been a good year.

Right now I am on paces for over 40,000 pages even though my previous yearly average was less than 29,000. It's going to make setting next year's goal interesting.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 12:04 PM   #221
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
At this point, I'm doing better than last year, read 46 books so far for my challenge goal of 52. Also have read one fantasy book each month for my fantasy challenge, although a couple were novellas. Since I'm reading first books in a series for my fantasy challenge, it helps sometimes to read a novella first then decide on the first book.
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 02:46 PM   #222
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I'm 9 books ahead for my 100 books a year goals. And I'm just about on track, just a teeny tiny ahead, on my 40000 pages goal. I'm not sure I'm going to make the latter one, because I know in November and December I always read less than in most other months. On the other hand, I'm going away for a week in November, so that might make up for that a bit.

I've only got two more books for my ABC challenge and only three books to reach my series goal, one of which I should finish this week. So those goals will be reached.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 03:01 PM   #223
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
I think I'm right on track... can't do the math right now, LOL.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 07:02 AM   #224
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I've totally blown my TBR target, thanks to some cheap omnibuses in August (I count the individual books, so my 5 purchases ended up being a net gain of 29 books), but I think I'm ok for the rest of my goals.

I might make 100 books again, which would be a great result given that I dropped my daily short story.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 08:05 AM   #225
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Heh, participating in the two book clubs here has shot my TBR more than anything.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote