Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-10-2013, 01:42 PM   #1
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Problems with Kobo Books customer service

I've been buying from them for a long time, and I've never had this happen before, so I'm scratching my head and wondering if anyone else has had the same experience.

I purchased an ebook two weeks ago that was clearly marked readable on ereaders - but after paying for it, was not provided with a download link. I emailed CS and got a reply of 'no, there's no link, but it's available on all the platforms listed.' Which it isn't, so I sent them a screenshot of the page showing the 'readable on ereaders' icon.

Several days passed, I got a 'we have to kick it up to another department if you want a refund' email. More than a week has passed since then with no refund, but the book has disappeared from my library.

I've never been treated this way by Kobo - I really do not know what to make of it. Especially with the loss of Books On Board, this makes me mad as there are few other options for buying ePubs anymore.

I hope this is just a fluke, but I'm afraid it's not. I'm leery of buying from vendors who ignore legitimate complaints and do not give refunds.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 01:58 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Under eBook information does it say;

Download options: Adobe DRM EPUB or
Download options:EPUB (DRM-Free) or
Download options: Adobe DRM PDF?

That's the only way I know of to assure that there will be a file you can download (besides a kePub into their software or on their readers).

I believe when they say the book readable on ereaders they're referring to being able to download a kePub version to a Kobo eReader, although I could be wrong.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2013, 03:37 PM   #3
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
You can read it on the Android Kobo app. I bought a book like that and that is the only way I could read it.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 05:14 PM   #4
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
You can read it on the Android Kobo app. I bought a book like that and that is the only way I could read it.
I can't now because they removed the book from my library - and still didn't give me a refund.

I hate to read on a tablet - I can't go more than 20 minutes at a time before my eyes start hurting.

There aren't any download options because the book is not downloadable - but Kobo doesn't tell you what the download options, if any, are until AFTER you've bought the book.

Here's the book's page

Do you see any info that would let you know the book is not downloadable?

Here's another book - can you tell from this what formats are available, or if they're downloadable?
Old 07-10-2013, 06:04 PM   #5
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
The second book does have "Download options: Adobe DRM EPUB" on the right side under " eBook Information". It also has desktop and tablet under READ THIS ON:. I've never looked for this before and I can see how it would be easy to miss.

Since you don't have the book in your library anymore, hopefully you will get your refund.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2013, 07:18 PM   #6
khalleron
Kate

I've reloaded the page and I'm not seeing what you're seeing. All I see on the right hand side are ads for Kobo's ereaders.

So after scratching my head for awhile, I reloaded it in IE (I normally use Chrome), and lo and behold - there it is.

They seriously need to fix that. That information, as well as the Goodreads reviews, is completely missing in Chrome.

So I also reloaded the original one, and although it doesn't list any download options, it still says it's readable on Kobo and other 'select' ereaders.

Try looking at the site in Chrome and see how completely different it is. That's just wrong.

Last edited by khalleron; 07-10-2013 at 07:21 PM.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:54 PM   #7
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
I just tried Chrome on my Nexus 7 and everything shows up. I agree the "read this on ereaders" is very misleading.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:56 PM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
Here's the book's page

Do you see any info that would let you know the book is not downloadable?
Yes, no download options are listed under eBook Information like they are for most books.

Quote:
Here's another book - can you tell from this what formats are available, or if they're downloadable?
Yes, it has "Download options: Adobe DRM EPUB"

It is a crappy setup. Their website has always left a lot to be desired, so I don't know that anything will change anytime soon.

The confusing thing with the Pinkwater book is that others have it available in ePub, so why not Kobo.
https://ebookstore.sony.com/ebook/da...00000000836876
https://play.google.com/store/books/...DNCX1BIb29DIl0.

FWIW, I'm using Chrome on Win7

Last edited by AnemicOak; 07-10-2013 at 08:03 PM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:01 PM   #9
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Kate, are you by any chance using an ad blocker plugin in Chrome? I ask because I recently noticed entire sections of some web sites not showing up, and I traced it to the ad blocker I'm using. I think some sites are using code for certain blocks of text / pictures that is the same as or similar to that used to display ads.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:02 PM   #10
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
Kate, are you by any chance using an ad blocker plugin in Chrome? I ask because I recently noticed entire sections of some web sites not showing up, and I traced it to the ad blocker I'm using. I think some sites are using code for certain blocks of text / pictures that is the same as or similar to that used to display ads.
I'm using it and I can still see the info but it could be another plugin interfering with it.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:27 AM   #11
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
There is something weird with "Bushman Lives!". The area for "Read This On!" shows eReaders / Kobo Arc / Android / iPhone / iPad.

The second book "Seeing a Large Cat" lists Desktop / eReaders / Tablets / Kobo Vox / Kobo Arc / Android / iPhone.

So "Bushman Lives" is not supported on Kobo Arc / Desktop.

Weird!
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 04:07 AM   #12
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Just to let you know, I'm using Chrome (well, Chromium), Ghostery and AdBlock and I can see all the details on the kobobooks pages.

Khalleron, I hope you'll get a refund soon.
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 05:54 AM   #13
jmilica
Banned
jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Kindle PW
I can also see all the options in Chrome, but I never looked for this information. I assumed - obviously stupidly - that all the books will be downloadable. So thank you for pointing this out and hopefully you'll get refund soon.
jmilica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 06:11 AM   #14
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Problems with Kobo Books customer service

I had a similar problem a while ago and when I emailed Kobo CS they replied back saying they'll escalate the problem to the Tier X team for investigation. They just kept escalating and it took almost 3 weeks when I finally figured out the issue myself and have emailed them to tell them my findings, they emailed me thanking me and that they're glad that everything is resolved. This was my first and last time buying an ebook from Kobo.

When I asked for a refund before figuring out what the problem was they declined saying that it shows in their system that it has already been bought. But I hope you get a refund.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:40 AM   #15
khalleron
Kate

I did turn AdBlock off to see if that was the problem, but the page didn't change. I've also looked at it on two different computers and I see them both the same.

That is so weird, that everyone else seems to be able to see it, but I cannot.

I've given up on Kobo doing anything about it and have filed a dispute on the charge on my credit card.

Thanks for everyone's input.