Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-13-2018, 12:40 PM   #16
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
And finally released v1.0.0 .

Mainly making sure Mark 7 devices are handled correctly, and tweaking a few things for KOReader & KFMon .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 06:58 PM   #17
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Released v1.2.0 .

This one adds a major feature: displaying images! Most common formats should be handled, and you can adjust the exact positioning in all kinds of crazy ways .

As usual, for best results, properly dithered PNGs are your friend .

If you have access to ImageMagick v7, my current rescale + letterbox + grayscale + dither pass of choice looks something like this:

Code:
convert input.png -colorspace Lab -filter LanczosSharp -distort Resize 1080x1429 -colorspace sRGB -background black -gravity center -extent 1080x1429! -grayscale Rec709Luminance -colorspace sRGB -dither Riemersma -remap eink_cmap.gif -quality 75 png:out.png
1080x1429 being the effective resolution of an H2O .

With the cmap attached here.

EDIT:

An approximately 10 times faster alternative, if you *really* need on-device processing:
Code:
convert input.png -filter LanczosSharp -resize 1080x1429 -background black -gravity center -extent '1080x1429!' -colorspace Gray -dither Riemersma -remap eink_cmap.gif -quality 75 png:out.png
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	eink_cmap.gif
Views:	640
Size:	377 Bytes
ID:	165109  

Last edited by NiLuJe; 02-12-2019 at 07:57 PM. Reason: Create true Grayscale PNGs, instead of Indexed RGB (speedier rendering in FBInk ;)).
Old 07-21-2018, 01:26 PM   #18
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Released v1.2.5 .

Expands on the image display feature of v1.2.0 by adding proper transparency support (i.e., if you feed it an image with an alpha channel, it'll do the right thing with it) .

You can opt to disable this via a flag, because it comes with a bit of a performance penalty .
Old 08-02-2018, 04:31 PM   #19
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Released v1.2.6 .

A few code cleanups & tweaks, and a fix for potentially broken behavior at high font scaling values.
Old 08-15-2018, 02:07 PM   #20
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Released v1.3.0 .

This one comes with a crapload of changes .

I won't rehash the changelog, but, basically, everything's faster, we've got some new fonts to play with (c.f., attached screenshots), and there's even more control over image & text positioning.

This is also the first real introduction of the button_scan thingy we've talked about in the kobo-rclone thread, but that'll be the subject of a dedicated thread later tonight .

And, just for shit'n giggles, there's now a linux target to bypass a few eInk specific checks, so that you can use this on any kind of Linux fb without spurious warnings (c.f., a snapshot from my desktop's EFI framebuffer ).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	blocks.png
Views:	528
Size:	4.4 KB
ID:	165611   Click image for larger version

Name:	scientifica.png
Views:	553
Size:	9.9 KB
ID:	165612   Click image for larger version

Name:	artwiz.png
Views:	544
Size:	5.7 KB
ID:	165613   Click image for larger version

Name:	orp.png
Views:	564
Size:	4.4 KB
ID:	165614   Click image for larger version

Name:	leggie.png
Views:	581
Size:	4.2 KB
ID:	165615   Click image for larger version

Name:	efifb.png
Views:	549
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	165617  

Last edited by NiLuJe; 08-15-2018 at 03:59 PM.
Old 08-16-2018, 08:34 PM   #21
NiLuJe
BLAM!

And released v1.4.0, a bit earlier than I initially planned, because there was a stupid build issue in 1.3.0 that basically broke this Kobo package... (thanks to @codex-hex for the heads up).

Which means you get the performance improvement in text rendering a bit early, as well as the pixel-perfect text positioning options .
Old 08-17-2018, 12:31 AM   #22
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
For those who want a Go wrapper, I have just updated go-fbink to support FBInk 1.4.0
sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 02:38 PM   #23
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Released v1.4.1 .

With a few fixes to the X/Y offset features that got in a bit too early in the rushed 1.4.0 release .
Also stdin handling on the CLI tool, and lowercase glyphs in the block font .

And in Kobo-land, button_scan *should* now work neaaaarly everywhere (the H2O²r1 is still out, while the Aura Edition 2 *might* work, at least the original hardware revision).
Old 09-02-2018, 06:32 PM   #24
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Released v1.5.0 .

Adds support for custom pen colors (both fg & bg), as well as drawing progress bars!
Old 09-02-2018, 07:46 PM   #25
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Released v1.5.0 .

Adds support for custom pen colors (both fg & bg), as well as drawing progress bars!
Hmm. Progress bars could be useful...

Anyway. go-fbink has been updated again to 1.5.0. Although I haven't tested it, so YMMV...
sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 05:50 PM   #26
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Released v1.6.1 .

Minor bugfixes around the progressbar feature, but mainly in Kindle-land .
Old 09-07-2018, 01:15 PM   #27
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Released v1.6.2 .

Some more tweaks/fixes related to progress bars .
Old 09-19-2018, 12:45 PM   #28
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Released v1.7.0 .

A bunch of changes in this one, most notably one trying to make row 0 more usable, in particular when there's empty vertical space left (i.e., when we can't fit a final line on screen because its height is larger than the space left).

In the same vein, this one finally honors the crazy viewport on the H2O, with its 11 top pixels hidden behind the bezel.
I'm fairly sure the same sort of thing should apply to the Aura, and possibly the H2O², but I'd need an fbgrab screenshot of Nickel to confirm that.

There's also a bunch of new stuff around button_scan handling that @sherman will make use of .
Old 09-19-2018, 03:25 PM   #29
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
In the same vein, this one finally honors the crazy viewport on the H2O, with its 11 top pixels hidden behind the bezel.
More like 9¾ on my H2O. When there is an all black image I always see a white stripe at the top since that part usually always stays white.

But that might be because I had it opened up and all and things might have shifted around a little.

It's just impossible to handle. In a picture viewer it might make sense to just draw-repeat the first line of the picture into the top area just in case it's peeking out for someone else too
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 03:53 PM   #30
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@frostschutz: Yeah, even on my unopened one, the fit of the top edge of the bezel/IR array is atrocious :/.

11px is the value Nickel itself blacks out, to avoid any possible nitpicking on that front (i.e., I shift the blame to Kobo ;p).

That works out fine on my end, I can maaaaaybe see one or two of those if I look at it at a reaaally shallow angle (like, err, when it's sitting next to the keyboard during tests ;p). . But then you start to see fairly weird crap everywhere at that angle, plus the reflections off the IR casing .

In any case, that fudging around is togglable, to restore the previous behavior .

----

EDIT: Stupid idea of the night: one could use the nightmode hack as a skeleton on which to base something to forcibly black out those pixels in Nickel: interpose updates w/ top=11 & height=1429, and possibly add a bit of targeted memset if Nickel also skips writing to those entirely, and not just refreshes .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 09-19-2018 at 04:04 PM.