Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 04-27-2009, 04:04 PM   #1
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Kindle PID from Mobi PID - can anyone do it?

What we really need is a generator that will create a 'valid' Kindle PID from a Mobi PID - or even better, from a WinXP processor ID/serial number - so that we can register it for downloading Kindle ebooks. I can't afford to shell out for a Kindle or even an iPhone/iPod Touch, and Amazon doesn't seem too eager to sell Kindle ebooks without the customer FIRST shelling out for these two expensive items.

Anybody up to this?

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 04:14 PM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Amazon obviously know the serial number (& so PID) of all the Kindles that they've sold. So you can't generate a fake Kindle Serial Number/PID.

For the iPhone/iPod they generate the PID from the UDID which is available through iTunes. I very much doubt that Apple have supplied Amazon with a complete list of UDIDs of devices that have downloaded the Kindle App for iPhone/iPod, so I suppose it should be possible to generate a fake UDID and use that.

Of course, if Amazon find out, their Terms and Conditions allow them to close your account without notice, cutting off access to all your purchased ebooks. I wouldn't bother myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
What we really need is a generator that will create a 'valid' Kindle PID from a Mobi PID - or even better, from a WinXP processor ID/serial number - so that we can register it for downloading Kindle ebooks. I can't afford to shell out for a Kindle or even an iPhone/iPod Touch, and Amazon doesn't seem too eager to sell Kindle ebooks without the customer FIRST shelling out for these two expensive items.

Anybody up to this?

Derek
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2009, 04:42 PM   #3
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Amazon obviously know the serial number (& so PID) of all the Kindles that they've sold. So you can't generate a fake Kindle Serial Number/PID.

For the iPhone/iPod they generate the PID from the UDID which is available through iTunes. I very much doubt that Apple have supplied Amazon with a complete list of UDIDs of devices that have downloaded the Kindle App for iPhone/iPod, so I suppose it should be possible to generate a fake UDID and use that.

Of course, if Amazon find out, their Terms and Conditions allow them to close your account without notice, cutting off access to all your purchased ebooks. I wouldn't bother myself.
Given that (currently) several titles are ONLY available in Kindle format, it is a valid question. (Although I've heard rumors that Phoenix Pick has finally decided to release in more formats than just Kindle - HOORAY, I'll be able to read my L Neil Smith faves in ebook format!)

Yes, I broke down and just bought a 1stGen iPod Touch on eBay for $75. Gonna get me a UDID and PID real soon now. And, yes, I'm gonna break each and every Kindle ebook I buy down to Mobi format as soon as I buy them.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote