Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-09-2011, 08:24 AM   #1
Janette55
Connoisseur
Janette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it is

Device: Sony 900
transfer calibre to new computer ?

Okay, dumb questions, but want to make sure.

My old computer was dying. Didn't want to wait until it totally died and then lose everything so we bought me a new computer (valentine, mother's day and birthday gift, LOL).

I am not sure about transfering Calibre to my new one. I know that I could just download and start all over but I will lose everything I had on my old computer (right?).
I know that the books are on my ereader (Sony 900), but the info about them that I have on Calibre will be lost also, right?

If it is transfered does that affect Calibre and the books I have on it?

I had been working on the DRM aspect, was going to see if it would work when computer started to die.

I had bought some books from diesel and downloaded them, then some problems and it is saying they have been downloaded, (I goofed on the ascm (?) and it won't let me download again) will I be able to re-download them to my new computer and start over with Calibre and fix the ADE problem I was having?

If I lose the books I won't care, bought some cheap ones to check out, total of $ 7 dollars. One was epub and other two said adobe. They are in the ADE library or whatever it is but they won't transfer to Calibre, it sames something about ascm, not sure of what that is all about.

Anyhow, not sure what to do about old and new computer and Calibre

Computer expert where hubby works says he can transfer from old computer to new one. And I bought a backup system to add to new computer.

I am the perfect example of the idiot who hits a button accidently, never knows which one, and in trying to fix it get lost and does even more harm.
so am asking the experts before I do anything.

(am a member under a different name, but can't remember name, which email address used or password, so am starting over again)
Janette55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:35 AM   #2
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
The troubble with copying Calibre to the new PC is that most software are rather finky about where there data files are and get rather upset if they do not place them there themselves. The way that I advise people to acomplish this is via PCMover http://www.laplink.com/pcmover/. Once the software is moved to the new PC it will not know that anything has been done to it and work like nothing ever happened to it. You will need to move all of your data files and eletronic books, leave behind all of those settings and operating system files - the new PC will need its own not the older ones.

I also advise people when using electronic books to buy an external hard drive and keep all of your electronic books on the external drive so if this sort of thing happends to you again and you need to repalce the PC all you do is to plug in the drive.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2011, 08:52 AM   #3
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Actually, I think the newest version of Calibre is much more friendly to pre-existing libraries. I believe you can simply tell it "go look here for the files" and it'll populate the program. I upgraded to Win7 a little while ago and just copied my Calibre library over and pointed it to that directory. I haven't noticed any problems yet.

You might want to drop by the Calibre forum (or a mod can move this) and ask Kovid himself.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 09:45 AM   #4
Janette55
Connoisseur
Janette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it is

Device: Sony 900
Thanks, I will go to the Calibre forum and see what they have to say.
Janette55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:27 AM   #5
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Use Dropbox. Put the Calibre library folder in the Dropbox folder and once you install Calibre on your new PC you can simply sync with Dropbox and your new Calibre installation will look like your old one.

Be sure when you install Calibre and go through the setup you indicate the right location for the library folder.

I've used Dropbox and Calibre with three PCs and several Android devices and my Kindle to retrieve books from my library and in the case of the PCs to install my entire library on different PCs.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2011, 11:39 AM   #6
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
Thanks TallMom. I was wondering about an easy way of syncing between my mac at home & my pc at work.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 03:40 PM   #7
lebleaux
lebleaux began at the beginning.

Device: none
This is an easy problem to solve. I use a product called Allway Sync (there is a free version) to sync my Calibre library to another disk attached to a small NAS box for backup purposes. I found that I could install Calibre on another machine, point it at the network drive and I had access to the library plus any Calibre customisations such as extra columns. Should be very simple to do this between two computers as long as they can see each other on a network of some description.
lebleaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 03:46 PM   #8
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Great idea Tall Mom. You are using drop box the way I use an external hard drive. Only difference that I can see is that drop box rents space above a certain point per month, thus you have a monthly bill. With an external drive you buy it once, I recommend a one terabyte drive for probably $90 these days and you have all the space you could need. However I do see where the drop box is a better idea for a small number of files for a limited time.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 09:28 PM   #9
Fayth
Zealot
Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.

Device: Sony PRS 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
Great idea Tall Mom. You are using drop box the way I use an external hard drive. Only difference that I can see is that drop box rents space above a certain point per month, thus you have a monthly bill. With an external drive you buy it once, I recommend a one terabyte drive for probably $90 these days and you have all the space you could need. However I do see where the drop box is a better idea for a small number of files for a limited time.
True, but the advantage of Dropbox is that if you ever lose your external/main hard drive, you also have it stored in the cloud. In addition to not having to carry an external hard drive around.
Fayth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:25 PM   #10
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I use Dropbox to access my Calibre library, videos, photos, and assorted documents when I'm away from home. Dropbox offers a free account but for a fee you can have up to 50GB.

Since you can access Dropbox through a web browser it makes it very easy to set up and use. I can also RDP into my server for the same files but Dropbox is simply more convenient. Plus, I really like how Dropbox automatically syncs the files.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 02:23 PM   #11
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by queentess View Post
I upgraded to Win7 a little while ago and just copied my Calibre library over and pointed it to that directory. I haven't noticed any problems yet.
I just got a new Win 7 Laptop and did exactly this. No problems.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote