Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-20-2011, 04:22 PM   #1
drgrittani
drgrittani began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Unable to load Kobo ereader with any non-DRM epubs using ADE or Calibre or Windows

I have a original kobo (non-Wifi) purchased May last year that will only load content purchased from the kobo book store and loaded with the kobo desktop app.

I have non-DRM'd epubs that I have been trying to load with the three solutions above, but none of them work. Both Calibre and Windows Explorer copy over the files, and I can see the files through Windows Explorer on the device, but when I disconnect the kobo usb cable the books don't show up, I just have the 100 free ebooks and the ones I've purchased through the kobo bookstore.

When I try to do it with ADE I just get a message saying ioError.

I have been flailing about on this issue for days searching the forms, resetting, deleting stuff, etc. I just want to get the basic drag and drop Windows Explorer method working first, then I will try Calibre, as I have had some issues with Calibre screwing up some other things. The kobo firmware has been upgraded to version 1.8.3. I have the issues with that reported by others, that is, all books show Open, and I can't hide the 100 pre-loaded books. That doesn't bother me as much as not being able to load all my non-DRM'd epubs.

Any help is much appreciated, but I have searched and tried lots of stuff already suggested on the forums.

Last edited by drgrittani; 01-23-2011 at 10:05 AM.
drgrittani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 11:41 AM   #2
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Almost all of the books on my reader, except for the preloads, are DRM free ePUB, sideloaded through Calibre. I'm hearing that drag'n'drop is not working as reliably. you do have to have the books in the root directory, and I notice that Calibre has the files themselves inside of folders (which in Calibre world have the author's name as the file name).

It may be worth duplicating that scheme with the drag'n'drop files. I'll be interested to see how this goes for you.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2011, 12:03 PM   #3
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
With my original Kobo I ran into books that wouldn't load. Unzipping them, i found they had huge css stylesheet files with repetitious styles. I either got updated versions or read them on other readers... It seems unlikely that all your books have that problem, but I suppose it's possible. I haven't tried those evil books now that I have updated my Kobo, so I don't know if the problem has been fixed.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 10:26 AM   #4
drgrittani
drgrittani began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Thanks for the suggestions. I've tried using folders and putting epubs in the root, neither works. I'm not an epub/css expert and don't care to be, so I won't be looking into that. My nook loads all my epubs regardless of type. My wife's kobo, the one with these problems, does not. When the $99 US refurbished nooks went on sale before Christmas, I bought 3, one for my in-laws, and one for each of my older daughters. Although heavier, so far the nooks have proven to be rock solid in comparison to the kobo.

But I would be happy to have other suggestions to try. I suspect this is a corrupted sqlite db on the kobo but don't know if I want to dive into that mess either.
drgrittani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 05:16 PM   #5
KjellM
Connoisseur
KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kobo, Glo HD, Aura ONE
The first thing to check is that the Date and Time in the Kobo is set correctly. Go to Menu/Settings. There have been many reports of issues when the Date and Time are wrong.
KjellM is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2011, 08:52 PM   #6
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
You could also use a memory stick. Thats what I for all the old classics so they don't clog up my device when I'm not reading them.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote