Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 11-26-2010, 07:29 PM   #1
Klim Chugunkin
Enthusiast
Klim Chugunkin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Klim Chugunkin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Klim Chugunkin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Klim Chugunkin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Klim Chugunkin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Klim Chugunkin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Klim Chugunkin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Klim Chugunkin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Klim Chugunkin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Klim Chugunkin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Klim Chugunkin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: V3+, PRS-350
US 902 price increase

Why was the price of 902 raised by $20?

http://shop.pocketbookreader.com/Poc...3.qscstrfrnt06

I guess 902 goes into "no buy" category for me now.
Klim Chugunkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 07:34 PM   #2
speedtouch
eBook Newbie
speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
They raised the prices on the IQ as well. They used to be $139, but now are $149. I wonder what's going on...
speedtouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2010, 12:51 AM   #3
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Could be currency adjustments, could be "market pricing", as auto dealers call it.
The former could be due to the ongoing "Quantitative easing" that is pumping new dollars into the US economy or the ever so slight increase in the chinese currency, the latter due to higher than expected demand at launch.
Your guess is as good as any.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 01:57 AM   #4
CalvinL
Enthusiast
CalvinL has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CalvinL has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CalvinL has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CalvinL has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CalvinL has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook
Come on, don't do that...
It's thanksgiving.
It's christmas...
CalvinL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 03:05 AM   #5
Hypernova
Hyperreader
Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Current: Boox Leaf2 (broken) Past: H2O, Kindle PW1, DXG;Pocketbook 360
Dulin's Books still have it at 299.99

Maybe I should hurry up and pull the trigger...
Hypernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2010, 10:37 AM   #6
K-Thom
The one and only
K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: yup!
Calm down, guys'n'gals, in Germany the IQ e.g. is at 159.- EUR which is currently 210.- US$ (taxes included), and the 902 is at 329.- EUR which is 435.- US$.

So enjoy your 149.- respectively your 319.- ... .

Last edited by K-Thom; 11-28-2010 at 10:41 AM.
K-Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 08:43 PM   #7
Hypernova
Hyperreader
Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Thom View Post
Calm down, guys'n'gals, in Germany the IQ e.g. is at 159.- EUR which is currently 210.- US$ (taxes included), and the 902 is at 329.- EUR which is 435.- US$.

So enjoy your 149.- respectively your 319.- ... .
But it was annouced that it would be $299. Now we see price increase with no notice (I think) at all. I would hope, with a couple representatives visit this forum, that we would hear about it before. Or at the very least some explanations why.

I've said many good things about PocketBook to anyone who ask about an e-reader. However, with everything that happened with 901/2/3 releases, I'm slowly becoming a regular, indifferent customer.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:49 AM   #8
Klim Chugunkin
Enthusiast
Klim Chugunkin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Klim Chugunkin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Klim Chugunkin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Klim Chugunkin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Klim Chugunkin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Klim Chugunkin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Klim Chugunkin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Klim Chugunkin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Klim Chugunkin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Klim Chugunkin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Klim Chugunkin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

On the www.the-ebook.org forum I asked pocketbook representatives why the price was suddenly raised. Their answer was "due to various reasons but mainly because our russian and european customers complained about too low prices in US compared to Europe."

I highly doubt they would lower the prices in Europe if american customers complained about too high prices in Europe.

I was really interested in 902, but now I am not going to get involved with this kind of company.

P.S. From that same forum it turns out none of the new pocketbook devices is really working the way they are supposed too. They knew it, but decided to put them on the market before the holiday shopping season. Plenty of people, who installed their new firmware have bricked readers and now are waiting for a new firmware to bring it back to life.

Last edited by Klim Chugunkin; 11-29-2010 at 08:53 AM.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:25 AM   #9
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
I can tell you the reason I had not raised my price yet. I had not realized anyone else had done so. I have been thinking about doing so for awhile because, quite frankly, the margin I am left with at a $299 retail is so slim I may not be able to pay my wonderful new Oregon tax rate. With the others now at a higher retail I can safely increase my margin slightly and not lose all my sales to the others.

I dont want to do it before I have shipped the first batch so I will probably hold off until I have them in hand on Wednesday. But I dont see any way around it that will keep my business afloat.

The 902 will still be significantly cheaper than the Kindle DX and the least expensive 9.7" eink based reader on the market.

Mind you its not PocketBook the company that has raised the retail price. They still suggest $299 and havent raised my cost. I wish I could afford to keep it at that price. I just can't. If you'd like to blame someone feel free to blame the state of Oregon and their new business tax rates.

-Charlie Dulin
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 01:36 PM   #10
Hypernova
Hyperreader

@Klim Thanks for the info Klim. Now I really have to think hard about it.

@Charlie I really appreciate your info on that. Thank you. So basically PocketBook give you a hard one on MSRP since the beginning. I'm assuming if I place order sometime today, it would still be 299.99?

Now what to do
Old 11-29-2010, 02:58 PM   #11
speedtouch
eBook Newbie
speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Who would have ever thought tax increases make prices rise and business suffer! (sarcasm)
speedtouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 07:36 PM   #12
K-Thom
The one and only
K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: yup!
Now that is consumers' power (kind of ...).

We did indeed protest against the price difference between Europe and the US - with the goal of getting lower prices in Europe, not with the US prices being increased ...
K-Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 11:27 PM   #13
Klim Chugunkin
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Thom View Post
Now that is consumers' power (kind of ...).

We did indeed protest against the price difference between Europe and the US - with the goal of getting lower prices in Europe, not with the US prices being increased ...
I wish it could work the other way around.

On the other hand, I would not hesitate to trade low prices on consumer electronics for affordable health care.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:06 AM   #14
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klim Chugunkin View Post
... but mainly because our russian and european customers complained about too low prices in US compared to Europe.
Well, we - the customers-living-outside-USA - have been complaining about outrageous price differences for ages. Not with the aim to rise prices for our American comrades, but with the aim of getting fair prices ourselves.
I could understand higher price in Europe if the $%^&#!!! device was manufactured in USA. But with devices that are made by Ukrainian company and manufactured in China?!?

Until recently, the only answer we - the customers-living-outside-USA - ever got was like,
- You have better health-care (well, perhaps my health-care is *cheaper*, but I am not sure it is better ;-) And do not dare to talk to Ukrainians about better health-care )
- You have better infrastructure that requires more taxes
- You have higher VAT (ignoring the fact that even considering the 20% VAT the difference is still outrageous)
- Everybody else bends European customers over the barrel, so why shouldn't we?

Then came Amazon and their K3.

This is not about display that has a teeny bit better contrast. This is about the same price Amazon has for American, European, Australian (!!!), Japanese customers and everyone else.
(not that they do not charge outrageous $2 surcharge for every single e-book sold through the Kindle, even if it is WiFi-only model, but I am ranting about prices of readers at the moment)
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 06:15 AM   #15
Hypernova
Hyperreader

Well I understand the complain people outside the US has (I'm Thai myself, but studying in the US now), and certainly agree with you.

I love my PB360 and every little thing it can do that the Kindle doesn't allowed. I actually feel kind of cool not using the Kindle, but I'm seriously thinking of going to the dark side for DXG this time. Duokan for Kindle, with its support for ePub and such, help a lot on this as well.