Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 11-22-2012, 12:07 PM   #1
phossler
Wizard
phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Am I using @font-face correctly?

I'm not getting the formatting I was expecting

Using this HTML

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="no"?>
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN"
  "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd">

<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<head>
  <title></title>
  <link href="../Styles/Garamond.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
  <link href="../Styles/epub.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
</head>

<body>
  <p>none text text text text text text text text</p>

<p class="brush">brush text text text text text</p>

<p class="fancy">fancy no tags text text<br /></p>

<p class="fancy"><i>fancy w/ i tag text text</i></p>

<p class="fancyi">fancyi text text</p>
</body>
</html>

and this CSS

Code:
@font-face {
    font-family: 'Script';
    font-weight: normal;
    font-style: normal;
    src: url('../Fonts/Brush Script MT Italic.ttf');
}
@font-face {
    font-family: 'Garamond';
    src: url('../Fonts/Garamond.ttf');
}

@font-face {
    font-family: 'Garamond Bold';
    font-weight: bold;
    src: url('\..\Fonts\Garamond Bold.ttf');
}

@font-face {
    font-family: 'Garamond Italic';
    font-style: italic;
    src: url('..\Fonts\Garamond Italic.ttf');
}

p.fancy {
	font-family:'Garamond',serif;
	font-size: 4em;
}

p.fancyi {
	font-family:'Garamond Italic',serif;
}

p.brush {
	font-family:'Script',serif;
}
1. the class="fancyi" seems to display in Arial in Sigil and un-italic in ADE

2. to get the italic, I had to use <i> tags

Screen shots attached

Is this the way CSS / Sigil / epubs / ADE are supposed to work?

I feel I'm doing some wrong.

I thought I was following

http://web.sigil.googlecode.com/git/...bed_fonts.html

Thanks

Paul
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Displayed in Sigil.JPG
Views:	417
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	96647   Click image for larger version

Name:	Displayed in ADE.JPG
Views:	583
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	96648  
Attached Files
File Type: epub test font.epub (420.3 KB, 204 views)
phossler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 12:25 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Garmond is the font family
Then there is an @font for each stroke-weight combination that links the font source

Code:
@font-face {
    src: url('../Fonts/Garamond.ttf');
}

@font-face {
    src: url('\..\Fonts\Garamond Bold.ttf');
}

@font-face {
    font-family: 'Garamond ;
    font-style: italic;
    src: url('..\Fonts\Garamond Italic.ttf');
}
The usage refers to the Family: 'Garmond'
the weight and style will then select which (matching) Family member to use (the weight and style values must match the @ font)

In your example, you just have 2 Familys
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 02:20 PM   #3
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Just a reminder that Sigil will show up the basic font face, but won't show the variations such as italic. If correctly done, they will show up in the device.

For checking that, use Reader for PC or some other similar software for your device.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:33 PM   #4
phossler
Wizard
phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@theducks -- thanks -- that sorted it out for me as far as the epub version is concerned

I was trying to follow the tutorial:

which had an example

Quote:
Add a definition of the font, e.g.:

@font-face {
font-family: 'MyFont'; <===================???
src: url(MyFont.ttf);
}

@font-face {
font-family: 'MyFontBold'; <=================???
src: url(MyFontBold.ttf);
}

and I mis-understood that 'font-family' part

@mrducks -- thanks for the reminder, I use Adobe Digital Editions to check epubs and Kindle Previewer (not Kindle for PC) to see how well Calibre converted it to mobi or azw3

Thanks again

Paul
Old 11-22-2012, 09:51 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by phossler View Post
@theducks -- thanks -- that sorted it out for me as far as the epub version is concerned

I was trying to follow the tutorial:

which had an example

and I mis-understood that 'font-family' part

@mrducks -- thanks for the reminder, I use Adobe Digital Editions to check epubs and Kindle Previewer (not Kindle for PC) to see how well Calibre converted it to mobi or azw3

Thanks again

Paul
I believe that is in error (or it could be just a different way)
I like declaring a single family, then using the variations, knowing they will have the same look.
You would NOT declare Brush to be part of the Garmond, it has atotal different look.

My PEz (Adobe) is my check
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:06 AM   #6
phossler
Wizard

Well, the 'theducks way' has the great advantage of working, and the 'different way' in the tutorial does not (at least the way I was doing it)

(The Brush ttf was easy to not mess up since there were no style or weight options) so only single font-family)

Then once I realized that I needed to 1) make a AZW3 file, AND 2) turn [Use Publisher Fonts] on in the Touch, everything works 100% as expected / wanted / hoped for

Paul
Old 11-28-2012, 04:58 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Just a quick note about Garamond...

It's too light for eink screens. When I've seen it used, I've replaced it with the semibold version. But the better solution is to find a better font that works with an eink screen. Also, another issue with Garamond is that the ration of lower case to upper case is not all that good so it leaves a lot of white space between the lines.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:54 PM   #8
phossler
Wizard

@JSWolf -- You're right about Garamond being a little too light (but it looks so pretty) .

The dead tree version of the book was in Garamond so I just carried along with it

The Touch doesn't have the contrast I'd like as it is

Are there 'standard' recommendations for highly readable fonts for the KT? I really prefer serif fonts for reading.

I'm just converting / fixing / reformatting PD books for personal reading, so the only person I have to please is myself.

Paul
Old 11-29-2012, 09:19 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have a modified (made darker) version of Charis SIL that is very readable on an eink screen. Plus the height of the uppercase to lowercase is very good. Here's the link to download. Also, there are smallcap versions too.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?64cse2dshispx08

Last edited by JSWolf; 02-03-2013 at 06:16 PM.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:50 PM   #10
phossler
Wizard

Thanks -- at first glance it seems like it'll will be very readable

I usually use Bookman as my workhorse font, but it's got eink issues also

Some of the books I'm Sigil-izing have sub and super scripts, and the Charis seems like it will help there also.

Paul
Old 11-29-2012, 09:53 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by phossler View Post
Thanks -- at first glance it seems like it'll will be very readable

I usually use Bookman as my workhorse font, but it's got eink issues also

Some of the books I'm Sigil-izing have sub and super scripts, and the Charis seems like it will help there also.

Paul
It is very readable. I've been using it for some time now and I like the way it displays.

Happy to help.
Old 11-30-2012, 03:31 PM   #12
signum
Zealot
signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: none
I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned in this thread yet. The original post shows four @font-face declarations. The first two look just fine. The fourth one uses backslashes in the “url” line instead of forward slashes. Forward slashes are preferred, but the backslashes might work the same anyway. I'd still change them to forward slashes.

The third declaration begins with a backslash as the first character of the url. Assuming that the backslash works the same as the forward slash, this will take you to the directory of all directories, the top level of the entire filesystem (aka disk). Remove that leading backslash and the declaration for “bold” will have a much better chance of working when you get around to testing it. Also change the backslashes to forward slashes while you're there.
signum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:38 PM   #13
phossler
Wizard

@signum -- I did fix them in the CSS and you're right -- it did work much better.

I had a number of other issues with my CSS; some i found myself and other the people here helped me with

Paul