Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-10-2009, 07:59 PM   #16
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Roughly speaking, he wants to know how many pages there are in a book before he purchases it. Something the ebook stores should include in the listing. He feels it is unreasonable to pay $25 for a 75 page book - I think - but that might just be a mistake on my part.

I'm sure Vcat or Zelda, or any number of others, can set us straight....
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 08:12 PM   #17
EricGagne
Connoisseur
EricGagne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.EricGagne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.EricGagne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by pholy View Post
Roughly speaking, he wants to know how many pages there are in a book before he purchases it. Something the ebook stores should include in the listing. He feels it is unreasonable to pay $25 for a 75 page book - I think - but that might just be a mistake on my part.

I'm sure Vcat or Zelda, or any number of others, can set us straight....
We posted almost at the same time. Check the post just before yours, I translated my original one but you got it summed up pretty well.

When you check real books on Amazon, Chapters and others they usually tell you the number of pages, there's no reason this information should not be there for eBooks.
EricGagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2009, 12:47 AM   #18
frozennorth
Evangelist
frozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Onyx Boox RIP, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Libra
I think a word count would be more accurate. Page count is variable depending on the font size. I noticed some pb have rather large margins also. Some smaller ebook sellers are already including this info.
frozennorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 09:27 AM   #19
cassle
Enthusiast
cassle began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500, iPhone
owh!! yes, I bet it's too less pages (means less pleasure time too) for 25 bucks!!!

by the way.. I've visited jelis.ca and I think they don't accept paypal right?
cassle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 09:32 AM   #20
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassle View Post
I've visited jelis.ca and I think they don't accept paypal right?
That's what it says on the site (see étape 3 - mode de paiement)... only credit cards.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2009, 11:24 AM   #21
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricGagne View Post
Ooopppss ! Sorry, I didn't realize I posted in French in an English forum.

What I said is one thing I noticed and don't like is that informations about the books don't include the number of pages.

Just 2 days ago I bought a book on Mobipocket only to realize after that I paid way too much for a book of only 75 pages.

I think ebook stores should include that information, I think it's reasonable to know how much reading time a book will give you before paying 25$ for it.

Everyone who buys ebooks online should complain to their stores if the number of pages isn't specified.
Page count is a poor measure for eBooks. How do you count? eBook pages?, paper book pages? Which edition? What size screen? What font size? mobipocket does not even know the number of pages but counts as it goes. While I think it is reasonable to know the size of the book I do not agree that page count is the way to go. Character count, word count or something based on these values can be useful. For example FBreader uses 2048 bytes as a page and computes values based on that. ADE ePUB computes pages based on 1024 characters (which may be multibyte).

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 11:58 AM   #22
Casca
Casca began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505
How about English Canada?

It's great that Sony has signed a deal for French language e-books in Canada, but it would nice if they signed a similar deal with a provider for English Canada. While it is true that the Sony store allows purchases from Canada too many books I've wanted aren't available for purchase outside the U.S. Also, their are very few "Canadian" books available which I'm sure would be solved if a Canadian provider was available. Just saying.
Casca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 09:04 AM   #23
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casca View Post
It's great that Sony has signed a deal for French language e-books in Canada, but it would nice if they signed a similar deal with a provider for English Canada. While it is true that the Sony store allows purchases from Canada too many books I've wanted aren't available for purchase outside the U.S. Also, their are very few "Canadian" books available which I'm sure would be solved if a Canadian provider was available. Just saying.
What you should hope for is that they can expand the range in the sony store since you can always visit standalone stores yourself anyway.

The partnership route is what they use in europe and there is zero integration with the actual ebook library software like you get in the states and canada, all you get is a link to a site that then opens in a browser that has basically nothing to do with sony.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 04:09 PM   #24
nboshart
Connoisseur
nboshart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nboshart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nboshart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nboshart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nboshart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo
Canadian eBooks are coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casca View Post
Also, their are very few "Canadian" books available which I'm sure would be solved if a Canadian provider was available. Just saying.
Just a note, a lot of Canadian publishers are now in the process of converting their back catalogues to digital formats. You'll be seeing quite a few new titles being released as ebooks in the next few months with more to come.
nboshart is offline   Reply With Quote