Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-18-2010, 03:37 PM   #1
Hiba1983
Hiba1983 began at the beginning.

Device: not yet purchased
simple ebook reader that opens PDF?

Hello All,
i am looking for a good e-book reader since i have many books stored in PDF and doc format. i live in UAE.. didn't find any store that sells these devices yet, so i decided to buy one online.. i just don't know which model is best.. i want simple one that can open PDF and doc files without complication... i was interested in ebookwis but customer service informed me it cannot be shipped to UAE plus,it cannot open PDF files.

any recommendation based on ur experience?

Thanks alot in advance!

Hiba
Hiba1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 05:14 PM   #2
Geppetto
Addict
Geppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS600, Cybook, Hanvon N520, Sony PRS300, Onyx Boox, Kindle 3
Sony PRS600
Geppetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2010, 08:00 PM   #3
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
I agree PRS-600 is very good for this. I'm not sure where you could buy it that would ship to you, though.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 02:37 PM   #4
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
PocketBook 301+
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 04:24 PM   #5
Ulli
(-:
Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.

Device: PocketBook 360°,302
I would prefer PocketBook for opening pdf files and doc too!

In my signature is a link where you can see how pdf-files are displayed on the PocketBook.
Ulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2010, 09:53 AM   #6
rjpawlak
Enthusiast
rjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Nook STR and Nook Tablet
The ability to read PDFs was one of my main criteria when I got my PRS-900. It's slightly bigger than the 6" readers, which allows landscape reading of PDFs, and autocropping of margins to increase the readable area. Single column PDFs work great this way, multicolumn ones are best converted to single column beforehand.
rjpawlak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 03:54 AM   #7
Hiba1983
Hiba1983 began at the beginning.

Device: not yet purchased
Hii All

thanks alot for your help in this matter...

i contacted sony to get more info but since they don't market it in middle east, they couldn't help... how much the cost of sony reader? and would some functions not work incase i use it in outside country like UAE?

PocketBook ... hmmm... never heard of it. I need to read more about it..

so far,the only devices i managed to know available in my country are not known to me:
1. Ectaco Jed book
2. IRver
3. Abron

I'm not sure of the spelling coz i was given the names by phone....

Thanks again
Hiba
Hiba1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 05:07 PM   #8
rjpawlak
Enthusiast
rjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Nook STR and Nook Tablet
Hiba,

I'm not sure if Sony has agreements with the cell phone carriers in the UAE to allow wireless functions to work. AS for the cost, it is approx $400 USD. You can get a discount by ordering thru Bing. I got mine from TigerDirect - free shipping + 10% Bing rebate.

Good luck to you.

Bob
rjpawlak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 05:24 PM   #9
CoolDragon
Addict
CoolDragon doesn't litterCoolDragon doesn't litter

Device: none
Why not eSlick? Foxit is famous for its PDF reader, and they implemented almost all PDF viewing functions on the eSlick.
CoolDragon is offline   Reply With Quote