Aragorn:bin david$ cd /Users/david/eBooks/Tools
Aragorn:Tools david$ ls -l kindlepid.py
-rwxr-xr-x@ 1 david staff 1048 Mar 1 20:40 kindlepid.py
Aragorn:Tools david$
CyberBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 10:33 PM   #197
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberBiker View Post
Here is what I got:

OK... everthing looks right there too. It is probably the shebang ... what is the line that you added to the top of the kindlepid.py file?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2009, 10:34 PM   #198
CyberBiker
CyberBiker began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2
Here is what I got:

Old 03-01-2009, 10:35 PM   #199
CyberBiker

#!/usr/bin/python
Old 03-01-2009, 10:37 PM   #200
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ok, I see in your previous message you appear to have done the correct shebang.

Just to be sure, you added a line to the top of the file... so only the shebang is on it?

Also, can you type

which python

And make sure that path is what you used in the shebang?

BOb
Advert
Old 03-01-2009, 10:41 PM   #201
CyberBiker

here is the "which python"

Aragorn:Tools david$ which python
/usr/bin/python

Here are the first few lines of "kindlepid.py"

#!/usr/bin/python
import sys, binascii

letters = "ABCDEFGHIJKLMNPQRSTUVWXYZ123456789"

def crc32(s):
return (~binascii.crc32(s,-1))&0xFFFFFFFF

Should there be a space between #! & /user/bin/python ?????
Old 03-01-2009, 10:41 PM   #202
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Biker,

In addition to the above, let's just take a step back...

Go into your ~/eBooks/tools folder with cd.

Then just type...

./kindlepid.py

And see is that works. Basically trying to run it without the link file and path need.

If that doesn't work try the brute force method just type...

python kindlepid.py

BOb
Old 03-01-2009, 10:44 PM   #203
CyberBiker

Both of those seem to work:

Aragorn:Tools david$ which python
/usr/bin/python
Aragorn:Tools david$ ls
kindle2sn.txt kindlefix.py kindlepid.old prc.py
kindlefix kindlepid kindlepid.py readme.txt
Aragorn:Tools david$ ./kindlepid.py
Mobipocket PID calculator for Amazon Kindle. Copyright (c) 2007 Igor Skochinsky <skochinsky@mail.ru>
Usage: kindlepid.py <Kindle Serial Number>
Aragorn:Tools david$ python kindlepid.py
Mobipocket PID calculator for Amazon Kindle. Copyright (c) 2007 Igor Skochinsky <skochinsky@mail.ru>
Old 03-01-2009, 10:45 PM   #204
CyberBiker

BOb,

Thanks for all your help. I now have the PID for the kindle.

cb
Old 03-01-2009, 10:50 PM   #205
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberBiker View Post
BOb,

Thanks for all your help. I now have the PID for the kindle.

cb
Cool. I don't know why your symbolic link isn't working. The whole point there is to try to set up the system so you can run these from any folder rather than having to be in the ebook/tools folder.

Anyway... I guess you have a way to run them now... glad you got the PID.

BOb
Old 03-10-2009, 05:52 PM   #206
healanb
healanb began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
With your directions, I've gotten much farther than I ever have with the python script. However, I get to step 9 and the computer screen says
C:\>

I have been very careful to put in the serial number from the box with the caps for the letters and no spaces. What am I doing wrong?

I appreciate any advice you can give me.

Healan
healanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 06:23 PM   #207
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by healanb View Post
With your directions, I've gotten much farther than I ever have with the python script. However, I get to step 9 and the computer screen says

I have been very careful to put in the serial number from the box with the caps for the letters and no spaces. What am I doing wrong?

I appreciate any advice you can give me.

Healan
If you got the above, then everything it right. Now, just run the same exact command you did to get the above but add your serial number to the line.

BOb
Old 03-10-2009, 06:36 PM   #208
radiationman
Connoisseur
radiationman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Well... I'm getting there. Apparently most people don't have the folder I am having them use.
BOb
I just wrote my problems off on me being too dense to use the terminal window...

Since I've got Vista running as a VM I just moved over to the dark side to get the scripts to work...
radiationman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 11:54 AM   #209
healanb
healanb began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thanks, Bob, for your advice. But I do put in my serial number, very carefully, and still get the message.

Here is the whole message
C:\kindlepid.py B00................9
Mobipocket PID calculator for Amazon Kindle. Copyright <c> Ignor Skochinsky <skochinsky@mail.ru>
Usage: kindle.py <Kindle Serial Number>

I have administrator priviledges and I'm using Vista. I can't see what I'm doing wrong.

Again, any more advice appreciated.

Healan
healanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 12:51 PM   #210
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by healanb View Post
Thanks, Bob, for your advice. But I do put in my serial number, very carefully, and still get the message.

Here is the whole message
C:\kindlepid.py B00................9
Mobipocket PID calculator for Amazon Kindle. Copyright <c> Ignor Skochinsky <skochinsky@mail.ru>
Usage: kindle.py <Kindle Serial Number>

I have administrator priviledges and I'm using Vista. I can't see what I'm doing wrong.

Again, any more advice appreciated.

Healan
Try this. Go the folder that contains the Kindlepid.py script. Right click on the script and select "open with". Make sure you select python.exe (browse to it if you have to) as the default program to open this file.

Then try running the command again.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle visual guide, kindlefix, kindlepid, mobi2mobi, mobi2mobi gui