Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-24-2009, 04:04 PM   #166
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
We left out the "tools" part.

python \python26\tools\scripts\kindlepid.py
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 04:05 PM   #167
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Steinker View Post
think i understand now
You have to put a space between

python

and

\python26\....

And, as daffy said, the tools part might be missing.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2009, 05:52 PM   #168
J.Steinker
J.Steinker has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle
thanks guys you been a big help it worked now i have my pid
J.Steinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 05:54 PM   #169
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
thanks guys you been a big help it worked now i have my pid

HA! Which is why we never give up here............
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 07:03 PM   #170
J.Steinker
J.Steinker has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle
glad you didnt give up had to use the same format - inputing kindlefix.py for kindlepid.py to get it to fix the book to a format kindle to read but now it works
J.Steinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2009, 07:17 PM   #171
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
glad you didnt give up had to use the same format - inputing kindlefix.py for kindlepid.py to get it to fix the book to a format kindle to read but now it works
HOORAY! I think something is wrong with your PATH entry. Once you're comfortable, if you want to revisit this issue, let us know.

Good for you for sticking with it!
Old 02-24-2009, 08:43 PM   #172
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
HOORAY! I think something is wrong with your PATH entry. Once you're comfortable, if you want to revisit this issue, let us know.

Good for you for sticking with it!
I think most people have the problem are using Vista and the .py association isn't working properly. But, it could be a path issue too. But, if you are in the scripts directory and run it, it doesn't matter if scripts is in your path. The installer puts python in the path right?

BOb
Old 02-24-2009, 10:31 PM   #173
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I think most people have the problem are using Vista and the .py association isn't working properly. But, it could be a path issue too. But, if you are in the scripts directory and run it, it doesn't matter if scripts is in your path. The installer puts python in the path right?

BOb
I don't know. I've installed Python on 2 Vista (32 bit) computers and 1 XP (32 bit) and haven't had any problems.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:38 PM   #174
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
I don't know. I've installed Python on 2 Vista (32 bit) computers and 1 XP (32 bit) and haven't had any problems.
Me either.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 11:07 PM   #175
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Hmm... well, it's hard to tell what these people are doing wrong. But, it seems to common problems are a PEBCAK or a PICNIC error.

BOb
Old 02-24-2009, 11:10 PM   #176
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Hmm... well, it's hard to tell what these people are doing wrong. But, it seems to common problems are a PEBCAK or a PICNIC error.

BOb
I have no idea what you said.
Old 02-26-2009, 05:54 PM   #177
lala
lala began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I need help downloading books to my Kindle 2, please. I am a total newbie to ebooks and running scripts.

I used the Visual Kindle Guide to generate the PID, add the PID to my Northern California Digital Library (overdrive) account, download and convert a mobipocket book to .azw file. I even used Calibre to fix the meta data, add a cover, and download it to my kindle.

I can see the file on my kindle with the fixed meta data and the pretty cover. However, when I try to open the book, I get the following message:
"The selected item could not be opened. Please use your computer to visit Amazon.com and click on 'ManagerYourKindle" on the "Your Account" page for help in solving this issue."

I'm running XP

I have tried downloading another book from the library but with the same result. I tried to download the suggested title from BooksOnBoard, but it keeps bombing out on me with some weird "parse" error.

Last edited by lala; 02-26-2009 at 05:54 PM. Reason: added computer system info
lala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 05:57 PM   #178
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lala View Post
I used the Visual Kindle Guide to generate the PID, add the PID to my Northern California Digital Library (overdrive) account, download and convert a mobipocket book to .azw file. I even used Calibre to fix the meta data, add a cover, and download it to my kindle.
Did you run KindleFIX on the book?

Are you sure you have the correct PID? Did you copy-past the S/N from your amazon web page into the command window to eliminate any possible typos. Then copy and paste your PID to your libraries site?

BOb
Old 02-26-2009, 06:04 PM   #179
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Were you able to open it after you KindleFIXed it and before you ran it through Calibre?
Old 02-26-2009, 06:31 PM   #180
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by lala View Post
I even used Calibre to fix the meta data, add a cover, and download it to my kindle.
Calibre currently has problems with DRMed MOBIs (and KindleFIX does not remove the DRM), see Calibre and DRM in Mobi format. As daffy4u suggested, try on your Kindle immediately after the KindleFIX step.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle visual guide, kindlefix, kindlepid, mobi2mobi, mobi2mobi gui