Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 01-16-2019, 03:18 PM   #1
gbgbgb
gbgbgb began at the beginning.

Device: Sony DPT-S1
Note plus: shades of gray in apps are killing my eyes

I finally decided to fork for a Note Plus. Coming from a Sony DPT-S1 its almost miraculous to see a functioning web browser (as fast as my phone), and the google app store.

I quickly installed and configured some of the apps I use daily: gmail, feedly classic and pocket.

But once the initial excitement wore off, I quickly realized all three apps render a lot of their text in all kinds of colors which are not solid black, colors that show up as different shades of gray on the note plus. And all this gray shading is quickly fatiguing my eyes, which defies the whole purpose of an e-ink tablet.

I tried fiddling with "optimize" - the solution may be there but I have not hit on it yet. Either lots of text still renders in faint grays, or worse, I make some app buttons/text invisible.

Can people offer any advice?

* Maybe there are better apps for what I need?
** I saw folks were happy switching from pocket to instapaper(?). Can do, but that is just one tool in my tool chain.
** What to do with feedly classic (rss reader that saves into pocket)?
** What to do with gmail? (favorite feature: remove label/s from individual emails after i read them from a label inbox). Tried adding my gmail account to the native email application but it claims my password is wrong - will need to fiddle with manual setup.

* Are there winning setting for "customize" that make these apps solid B&W?

* If I got the same apps or rummaged for similar apps in the onyx store or the goodereader store (as opposed to the google store currently) -- would they be better optimized for black and white?

* Wish the e-reader itself had a state where it was trying to understand what portions of the display were text and simply making all those into solid black on white background, no matter what color the original app gave the text.

* I wonder if the Sony DPT-CP1 + goodereader app store is any better... (certainly it is even more expensive)

Would greatly appreciate any and all advice before the window closes on returning the device.
gbgbgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 08:19 PM   #2
blue_skies
Evangelist
blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue T62+; Boyue Mimas; and my old Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbgbgb View Post
I finally decided to fork for a Note Plus. Coming from a Sony DPT-S1 its almost miraculous to see a functioning web browser (as fast as my phone), and the google app store.

I quickly installed and configured some of the apps I use daily: gmail, feedly classic and pocket.

But once the initial excitement wore off, I quickly realized all three apps render a lot of their text in all kinds of colors which are not solid black, colors that show up as different shades of gray on the note plus. And all this gray shading is quickly fatiguing my eyes, which defies the whole purpose of an e-ink tablet.

I tried fiddling with "optimize" - the solution may be there but I have not hit on it yet. Either lots of text still renders in faint grays, or worse, I make some app buttons/text invisible.

* Are there winning setting for "customize" that make these apps solid B&W?

* If I got the same apps or rummaged for similar apps in the onyx store or the goodereader store (as opposed to the google store currently) -- would they be better optimized for black and white?

* Wish the e-reader itself had a state where it was trying to understand what portions of the display were text and simply making all those into solid black on white background, no matter what color the original app gave the text.
Hello. I'm sure others will come along who have your specific device, but I wanted to tell you that I totally understand your frustrations with Android apps being unreadable on eInk.

I bought an android eReader (Boyue brand) four years ago, and have tried tons of apps... and it was rare for me to find one that displayed properly on my screen.

For example, I tried almost every book reading app I could find, and every single one had issues with invisible or nearly invisible option menus. I honestly don't know how people who post about their favorite Android reading apps are able to use them. I had to go back to the built-in reading app, which ended up being the best experience by far. (If there were any special settings to customize these apps for eInk... I never saw any... but then again, maybe they were there but invisible on my screen.)

I also wanted to mention that, when I got my Android eReader, I too thought the GoodEReader app store would have apps that were vetted and/or optimized to work well on eInk screens... but I did not find that to be the case, unfortunately.

I like your idea about having the eReader recognize what is supposed to be text and defaulting to displaying that black on white... but I don't know how feasible that is.

Good luck! I hope you find the answers you are seeking.
blue_skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2019, 09:54 PM   #3
gbgbgb

Thank you blue_skies.

Maybe the saddest thing in this story is what a fringe community us e-ink reader folk must be. (It's not just ruining our eyes, it's ruining everybody's eyes..)

Because from a developer's point of view, adding a simple toggle for "render in B&W only" should be such a simple thing for 90% of apps. Almost trivial code.

Getting the e-ink device itself to convert color to B&W may well be more complicated. I don't know who lays out eInk images and how. Very likely doable (esp. as the processors keep getting better). But not simple.

An app developer option to only use B&W for all coloring is so simple to code, if we were only a bigger niche.

I also wonder if you are drawing a path of sorts for me: the three apps I want all have browser interfaces. So maybe I can use them strictly in the native browser. Not ideal. But better than nothing. (if an expensive web browser). I'll try...

Still hoping others would surprise me for the better. Thx again
Old 01-16-2019, 11:58 PM   #4
HappySunday
HappySunday began at the beginning.

Device: Boox Note
Hi,

I don't think any ultimate perfect solution at the moment because of the existing e-ink technology. I also suffer the same problem but do not have any hope thus no disappointed. However, I can tell you that i am looking forward the huge revolution of e-ink technology: color e-ink which would be launched in coming few years.

So, my principle: no upgrade my existing Boox Note and no waste money until mature color e-ink reader launch. Might be 1, 2, 5 years later. That's fine. Just stick to use the Boox Note.
HappySunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 12:06 PM   #5
chronoreverse
Enthusiast
chronoreverse is on a distinguished road

Device: none
I don't know if this is available on the Boox, but Android in general has a High Contrast Text mode in the Accessibility settings. Maybe it can be found on your reader?
chronoreverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2019, 04:26 PM   #6
whopper
Addict
whopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Boox max 2
they added contrast setting per app on the latest firmware, maybe that could solve your problem.

On my device it happens the same, some apps have low contrast fonts, but that doesn't bother me.
whopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 03:55 AM   #7
gbgbgb

@HappySunday: on my dpt-s1 b&w contrast is really good. can stare at it for hours.

@chronoreverse: good idea, but no such menu/option (that i could find) in the Boox Plus (2.0.1).

@whopper: that's what i ended up doing. play with the "optimize" settings.
its an improvement but much text still appears in really light shades of gray it is still not fun.
if someone has an optimize setting they are happy with, feel free to share - the menu there has a lot of options.
Old 02-02-2019, 06:06 AM   #8
Faeryink
Zealot
Faeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmos

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2
Hello, I get really bad eyestrain from using LCD screens. I have been using Onyx Boox Max 2 Pro in monitor mode and also native apps. I also have a Lifebook Mars as a secondary screen which has a backlight 300 PPI. I am not sure if I can be of much help but here are my thoughts:
1. Lighting: My best setup for my Onyx Boox Max 2 is a diy Lego cradle with a USB light directly illuminating the surface of the eBook reader. I use a warm light source. Then I have a reading lamp illuminating the screen behind me. Again I use warm light bulb as I get a headache using day light bulbs. But use what suits you.
2. There isn't a single solution for fixing the issues with 3rd party apps. Here is what I personally use for certain apps on my Onyx Boox Max 2 Pro (4gb ram, 13.3 inch screen, running firmware 2.0): Microsoft Word (9% contrast, use android app, Bluetooth Logitech keyboard, increased DPI to 290, I try not to use the A2 mode unless I am scrolling through a long document); Memrise, Babbel (Increased contrast to 9 or 6, don't use A2), Artrage and Sketchbook use with and without A2 mode and capacitive touch turned off, Scribd (260 DPI, 8% contrast, no A2 mode), Netflix, Youtube and Amazon Prime (Default setting, A2 mode, I prefer black and white videos and I have Bluetooth speaker for improved sound).

I also find that the contrast for web browsing on Like book Mars is slightly better perhaps its because it has a higher 300 PPI screen with frontlight. I found the factory Browser app better than Chrome. In the chrome and opera browser setting I increased the font size and in the optimization I changed the contrast to 20 and DPI to 280ish and use it without the A2 mode for reading articles or for still images. Obviously, I switch to A2 mode for watching animations and video content.

I hope you can share what particular apps you are not happy with so someone may have some solutions. But I also wonder do you experience the same issue with default apps such as Neoreader and the Notes app? If yes, then I wonder if its the unit or you maybe happier with a different device.
Faeryink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 08:18 PM   #9
HappySunday
HappySunday began at the beginning.

Device: Boox Note
just USD 3.

Worth to try
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TB2gWHslCFjpuFjSspbXXXagVXa_!!1058195457.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	169491  
HappySunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 10:59 PM   #10
whopper
Addict
whopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Boox max 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySunday View Post
just USD 3.

Worth to try
I bought the exactly same light as that on amazon for my max 2, it isn't enough.

You need to go for a bigger one with 13 or more leds and unfortunately they are much bigger and have higher weight

Those only works for the smaller readers.
whopper is offline   Reply With Quote