Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-17-2015, 09:29 AM   #1
ozshots
ozshots began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Custom fonts on PW1 update 5.6.1.1

Hi All. Sorry if this been answered already.

I had silent update of my PW1, it's now 5.6.1.1 and I lost my custom fonts

I'm very disappointed with that, because this was the only way to read Old Church Slavonic on Kindle.

What is the easiest way to get custom fonts back? Do I get it right, jailbreaking of this version requires opening device and soldering wires?

Thank you in advance!
ozshots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 09:46 AM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
I've updated the JB hotfix, which *should* restore the JB on 5.6.1.1 (for previously jailbroken devices). One potential caveat is that this might depend on the presence of a not-completely-ancient JB *before* the update. Can't remember the history right now, I just remember that this was never an issue for the PW2, but it might be for a PW1 if it was originally jailbroken ages ago.

Reinstalling everything *from the snapshots* should do the trick, provided the JB can be saved.

(Completely untested, no time).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 07-17-2015 at 09:52 AM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2015, 12:22 PM   #3
pirl8
Pest
pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KT, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozshots View Post
I'm very disappointed with that, because this was the only way to read Old Church Slavonic on Kindle.
Well, not quite true. The best way is the custom font hack, of course. But in case you've lost your jailbreak you can still use your preferred font.

You should:
  • import the mobi/azw3 book to calibre
  • convert it to ePub
  • edit it using for example Sigil (include the font, provide proper @font-face sections in CSS, set it as default font for the whole book)
  • convert it back to AZW3 (enabling the option to encode included fonts)
  • upload it to your kindle

You will then find a "Publisher font" option in your font setting dialog.

Last edited by pirl8; 07-17-2015 at 12:33 PM.
pirl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 12:30 PM   #4
Ephemerality
Addict
Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
I've updated the JB hotfix, which *should* restore the JB on 5.6.1.1 (for previously jailbroken devices). One potential caveat is that this might depend on the presence of a not-completely-ancient JB *before* the update. Can't remember the history right now, I just remember that this was never an issue for the PW2, but it might be for a PW1 if it was originally jailbroken ages ago.
Just to confirm: On the off-chance it doesn't work, is it possible to downgrade from 5.6.1.1 back to the previous version on the PW1 via serial?
Ephemerality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 01:02 PM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephemerality View Post
Just to confirm: On the off-chance it doesn't work, is it possible to downgrade from 5.6.1.1 back to the previous version on the PW1 via serial?
Technically, yes.

But I don't think anyone has written up the specifics.
(It is very similar to "De-Bricking" the main partition, once you take apart the Amazon update package with KindleTool.)
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2015, 10:21 PM   #6
ozshots
ozshots began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Thanks a lot guys for a good advice!
My Kindle never was jailbroken, I didn't need that. I just used a hack with empty file USE_ALTERNATIVE_FONTS and it's no longer working.

Am I completely stuffed now?

Unfortunately creating azw/mobi files with my fonts does not work either, as they are not displayed correctly. epubs works fine on apple/android but azw/mobi is a failure. I've asked that question at this forum ages ago.
ozshots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 06:49 AM   #7
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozshots View Post
Thanks a lot guys for a good advice!
My Kindle never was jailbroken, I didn't need that. I just used a hack with empty file USE_ALTERNATIVE_FONTS and it's no longer working.

Am I completely stuffed now?

Unfortunately creating azw/mobi files with my fonts does not work either, as they are not displayed correctly. epubs works fine on apple/android but azw/mobi is a failure. I've asked that question at this forum ages ago.
I see that you also asked Amazon customer service (ref: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...30&postcount=6 ) but I do not see any details of what they told you.

PS: That was the Calibre Forum, not the Kindle Developer's Forum -
Same web site, different forums.
Old 07-19-2015, 05:57 AM   #8
oumlaut
Omnia sunt communia
oumlaut has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Voyage, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
I've updated the JB hotfix, which *should* restore the JB on 5.6.1.1 (for previously jailbroken devices).
Thank you NiLuJe! You made my day.

Quote:
One potential caveat is that this might depend on the presence of a not-completely-ancient JB *before* the update. Can't remember the history right now, I just remember that this was never an issue for the PW2, but it might be for a PW1 if it was originally jailbroken ages ago.
I've had the most recent JailBreak, i.e. v1.14.N, before the firmware upgrade. New hotfix works fine.

Quote:
Reinstalling everything *from the snapshots* should do the trick.
Indeed it does! I reinstalled kindle-usbnet-0.20.N, and kindle-linkss-0.23.N. I am back in, and got my screen savers back. I wish I could have that capability on my Voyage as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-07-19 at 12.42.21.png
Views:	631
Size:	155.8 KB
ID:	140359   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3191.JPG.jpeg
Views:	586
Size:	382.8 KB
ID:	140360  
oumlaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 01:35 PM   #9
Aboyaman
Enthusiast
Aboyaman will become famous soon enoughAboyaman will become famous soon enoughAboyaman will become famous soon enoughAboyaman will become famous soon enoughAboyaman will become famous soon enoughAboyaman will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite1
Quote:
Originally Posted by oumlaut View Post
Thank you NiLuJe! You made my day.

I've had the most recent JailBreak, i.e. v1.14.N, before the firmware upgrade. New hotfix works fine.

Indeed it does! I reinstalled kindle-usbnet-0.20.N, and kindle-linkss-0.23.N. I am back in, and got my screen savers back. I wish I could have that capability on my Voyage as well.
I installed the latest Jailbreak and usbnetwork wont instal. ANy help?
Aboyaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 02:59 PM   #10
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aboyaman View Post
I installed the latest Jailbreak and usbnetwork wont instal. ANy help?
Are you using the Mobileread Package Installer?
With 5.6.x series firmware, you **must** use MrPI.
Old 07-19-2015, 04:11 PM   #11
Aboyaman
Enthusiast
Aboyaman will become famous soon enoughAboyaman will become famous soon enoughAboyaman will become famous soon enoughAboyaman will become famous soon enoughAboyaman will become famous soon enoughAboyaman will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Are you using the Mobileread Package Installer?
With 5.6.x series firmware, you **must** use MrPI.
Thanks. I will try it. But how does it work.? MRPI?
Old 07-19-2015, 05:12 PM   #12
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aboyaman View Post
Thanks. I will try it. But how does it work.? MRPI?
It includes directions, which tell you how to use it (I.E: How to make it work).
If you meant how does it implement its intended actions, then let the source be with you:
http://cloud.ak-team.com/

Last edited by knc1; 07-19-2015 at 05:22 PM.
Old 07-20-2015, 07:58 AM   #13
Aboyaman
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
It includes directions, which tell you how to use it (I.E: How to make it work).
If you meant how does it implement its intended actions, then let the source be with you:
http://cloud.ak-team.com/
Thanks, it works now
Old 07-20-2015, 09:31 AM   #14
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
@ozshots

From wiki:

Quote:
The fourth/fifth/seventh generation Kindles, Kindle Touch, Kindle Paperwhite (1st and 2nd generation) and Voyage can display AZW, AZW3, TXT, PDF, unprotected MOBI, and PRC files natively.
All I can suggest is attempting to embed fonts in one of the above formats and see if it works. Pdf at least should work. Not ideal, I know...

Last edited by Rizla; 07-20-2015 at 09:36 AM.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 12:31 PM   #15
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
The issue I think is that .azw (MOBI) doesn't support embedded fonts.
But AZW3 (KF8) does -- that is one of the reasons it was created.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote