Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 03-19-2024, 10:18 AM   #1
vanessamartins00
vanessamartins00 began at the beginning.

Device: none
publisher font

Hello!
Is there any way to force epub to keep the publisher font on readers (kindle, ibooks, google play books) so that the reader cannot change it? I have some Arabic characters and I would like the reader to keep the font so that these characters appear on all devices.
vanessamartins00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 11:55 AM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
No, it's generally impossible. In fact by default some readers don't use the Publisher font and some apps won't let the user choose it!

Older kindles (4 models) neither have publisher font, nor Arabic script at all. Generally if it was an entire ebook in Arabic, only Arabic users with devices/ or apps supporting Arabic would buy it.

Also an image of the word fails due to not resizing with the main font, though it can have the Arabic as the Alt text.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 11:59 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanessamartins00 View Post
Hello!
Is there any way to force epub to keep the publisher font on readers (kindle, ibooks, google play books) so that the reader cannot change it? I have some Arabic characters and I would like the reader to keep the font so that these characters appear on all devices.
The 'cheat' to get around the issue is Use an image of the character (or word).

The downside: It will not scale well (if at all)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 01:11 AM   #4
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post

Id suspect it's also not entirely accessible for people who use screenreaders and the like.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 01:33 AM   #5
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Wouldn't it be better to display the characters from an embedded arabic font file?
Karellen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 03:16 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Id suspect it's also not entirely accessible for people who use screenreaders and the like.
alt=" " would take care of that if the correct glyph was available
(assumes FONT was for a specific look )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 06:25 AM   #7
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karellen View Post
Wouldn't it be better to display the characters from an embedded arabic font file?
Yes, but:
1) Some (many?) apps ignore embedded fonts.
2) Most dedicated ereaders require the user to pick the Publisher option. The chosen built in font may not have the characters.

It's less of a problem if the entire ebook is Arabic, Chinese, or Asian, Cyrillic etc, as the user won't buy it unless they know how to read it.

There is no "works for everyone" or "works on all ereaders" solution for an ebook mainly in "script x" which has a few words in "script y", where "script" is a particular writing system.

All that is true even if we ignore mobi and only consider epub, or even epub, azw3/KF8 and KFX.

Electronic systems have less support for non-Roman-Latin than other systems. Some won't even take accented words (Irish Health system, and an accent changes meaning!). Systems that cope with two unrelated script systems at the same time are rarer than ones that cope with a particular non-Katin-Roman system.
Old 03-20-2024, 06:29 AM   #8
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
alt=" " would take care of that if the correct glyph was available
(assumes FONT was for a specific look )
I mentioned that. However how good are screen readers at multiple languages in one document, even when there is a language property in a span?

All my systems want you to pick "A" language, though you can install multiple ones. Though they are poor subset of languages in daily use.
Old 03-20-2024, 08:12 AM   #9
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:

Another downside to images of letters is that some language’s letters (like Arabic) appear differently based on the surrounding letters. So, while you could put multiple letter images together, it wouldn’t read/look right.

Whole words would be a little better, but then you’d need a HUGE number of images for an Arabic book to cover the number of words used, rather than the 28 letters.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 08:25 AM   #10
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

An entire Arabic ebook isn't an issue, as people regularly reading Arabic will know how to do it.

The big issue is a few words in an unrelated language/script to the main body. You often need an embedded font, which might not work anyway.
Old 03-28-2024, 11:07 AM   #11
Ebookus
Enthusiast
Ebookus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ebookus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ebookus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ebookus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ebookus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ebookus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ebookus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ebookus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ebookus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ebookus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ebookus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanessamartins00 View Post
Hello!
if you mean, the main text is in English and some words are arabic, images would be best bet. That is how LOTR handles runes and the sort.

speaking from a pure user perspective, if a publisher were to force me to use whatever they consider a good font, I would return that book immediately. Very rarely have I found embedded fonts to be any good. If I wanted anything fixed, I would buy a physical copy.
Ebookus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 12:06 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebookus View Post
if you mean, the main text is in English and some words are arabic, images would be best bet. That is how LOTR handles runes and the sort.

speaking from a pure user perspective, if a publisher were to force me to use whatever they consider a good font, I would return that book immediately. Very rarely have I found embedded fonts to be any good. If I wanted anything fixed, I would buy a physical copy.
Sure LoTR botched it. They could have used an embedded font for the runes given that it's ePub.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 12:13 PM   #13
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Sure LoTR botched it. They could have used an embedded font for the runes given that it's ePub.
That’s what I “fixed” in LotR. I found a good font with the runes and replaced all the low-quality images with actual runes. MUCH cleaner and responsive!
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 12:40 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
That’s what I “fixed” in LotR. I found a good font with the runes and replaced all the low-quality images with actual runes. MUCH cleaner and responsive!
That's what I need to fix when I get a chance.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote