Notices

Old 05-31-2021, 07:45 PM   #1
pavelh
Connoisseur
pavelh began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 3
Question Kobo Forma a good choice now?

Hi,
I have Kobo Clara HD now and I love the blue-less side lighting. I don't like the resolution though.
I have been thinking about upgrading to Forma, which should also have the blue-less side lighting but also much higher resolution.
I've waited so long for the latest Kobo to be introduced and did not want to buy Forma as I suspected it would become obsolete, but I am not thrilled with Elipsa as it lacks the blue-less night lighting (AFAIK) and I really don't need a pen.
Also no color reader seems to match Forma in color-resolution.
Am I right to aim for Forma now when my need is higher resolution, slightly bigger screen and blue-less side lighting or is it going way too backwards, pls?

Many thanks in advance for any kind help!

Best regards

P
pavelh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 11:04 PM   #2
rashkae
Guru
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
That's a ... confusing post.

1st. Clara HD and Forma have the same resolution (relative to screen size).. 300dpi.. if it's really resoluon that is bothering you, there will be no difference.

You're probably looking for a larger screen though.

I have a Forma and really love it,, but I think, the price for that extra inch is really dear. If I were to buy a new reader today, I think I would be happy with with the H20 Libra. A little smaller, but much less expensive, no odd side bar of light, and a more sensible power button.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2021, 08:32 AM   #3
codychan
Zealot
codychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud of

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Forma
Since you've been waiting for so long, why not wait for a little longer, there is a rumor that another device will be released later this year.
codychan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 09:49 AM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by codychan View Post
Since you've been waiting for so long, why not wait for a little longer, there is a rumor that another device will be released later this year.
Can you point to the rumour? I don't remember seeing one. The only discussion of this that I can think of, and that might have come from me, is the discussion of Kobo's timing for releases.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 11:30 AM   #5
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
That's a ... confusing post.

1st. Clara HD and Forma have the same resolution (relative to screen size).. 300dpi.. if it's really resoluon that is bothering you, there will be no difference.

You're probably looking for a larger screen though.

I have a Forma and really love it,, but I think, the price for that extra inch is really dear. If I were to buy a new reader today, I think I would be happy with with the H20 Libra. A little smaller, but much less expensive, no odd side bar of light, and a more sensible power button.
If it is really resolution that is bothering the OP, than the Forma will have a higher resolution.

If it is DPI that is bothering the OP, then the Forma will not be an improvement.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2021, 04:29 PM   #6
pavelh
Connoisseur

Hi,
thanks for the replies!

Clara HD is 1072 x 1448 resolution over 6"
Forma is 1440 × 1920 resolution over 8"

What is confusing about it?
The way I understand it, Forma should be able to show more letters on the page which is what bothers me with Clara. Although the size of the screen is more or less the size of a paperback, the letters need to be larger because of the resolution. Therefore I never get the same amount of text on a page on Clara as in a paper book. I believe higher resolution should be able to solve it. Am I wrong?

P

Last edited by pavelh; 06-01-2021 at 04:31 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 06-01-2021, 04:40 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone SE 2020, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavelh View Post
Hi,
thanks for the replies!

Clara HD is 1072 x 1448 resolution over 6"
Forma is 1440 × 1920 resolution over 8"

What is confusing about it?
The way I understand it, Forma should be able to show more letters on the page which is what bothers me with Clara. Although the size of the screen is more or less the size of a paperback, the letters need to be larger because of the resolution. Therefore I never get the same amount of text on a page on Clara as in a paper book. I believe higher resolution should be able to solve it. Am I wrong?

P
That's incorrect. The letters on screen do not need to be larger because of the resolution. They only need to be larger if that's what you prefer.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 05:33 PM   #8
pavelh
Connoisseur

If I decrease the size of letters on Clara so that they match the size of printed letters in the paperback, the letters on Clara are not as readable.
I am trying to (more or less) match the number of characters on the e-reader page to that of a printed book.

P
Old 06-02-2021, 03:36 AM   #9
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 7, Likebook 7, Tolino 7, Kobo 5, Kindle 3,
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavelh View Post
If I decrease the size of letters on Clara so that they match the size of printed letters in the paperback, the letters on Clara are not as readable.
I am trying to (more or less) match the number of characters on the e-reader page to that of a printed book.
If you use the same letter size on the Kobo Forma as on the Kobo Clara, you'll see it just as blurry, maybe even a little less sharp - because different screen technology is used.
But if you want to have the same number of letters on the screen, then they are 8/6 larger - you see them the same size at 8/6 distance, so sharper.
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 04:01 AM   #10
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo
If you just want more words on the screen, you are right, as long as you don't make the words larger. Why people are confused is because of the terms you used and that they don't know what you were actually wanting to accomplish. Some people want "better resolution" so that they can make the words smaller and still read it. That is generally what people mean when they ask for "better resolution". What you are asking for is a screen with the same resolution, but bigger, so you can use the same font size, but fit more words on the screen at once. The way you used the words resolution is generally used to mean DPI (ie they both have 300DPI) and is not used to mean larger screen at same DPI, ie the resolution numbers are larger.

But when you clarified that you want to fit more words on the screen, without changing the font size to be smaller, than yes, the Forma would accomplish that.
Uschiekid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 06:55 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone SE 2020, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
If you use the same letter size on the Kobo Forma as on the Kobo Clara, you'll see it just as blurry, maybe even a little less sharp - because different screen technology is used.
But if you want to have the same number of letters on the screen, then they are 8/6 larger - you see them the same size at 8/6 distance, so sharper.
That is BS. You will not see the letters less sharp when they are the same size on both the Forma and the Libra.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 07:19 AM   #12
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 7, Likebook 7, Tolino 7, Kobo 5, Kindle 3,
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
That is BS. You will not see the letters less sharp when they are the same size on both the Forma and the Libra.
You should deal with optical laws.

At the moment when there are the same number of bushes on both screens and you hold the Forma 8/7 further away from your eye, so that you see both screens in the same size, you will see a point 8/7 sharper on the Forma than on the Libra - this would only be different if the Forma screen was crap.

And if you think that Mobius is as sharp and contrasty as glass, you are wrong.

Last edited by ottischwenk; 06-02-2021 at 02:22 PM.
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 11:57 AM   #13
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
A bigger screen really helps. 7.8" is nice to read on and portable.

I think the elipsa does have the orange light, but not 100% sure. 10" is kinda big to hold, but it might suit you as you don't like 6".

Personnally, I would try to hold off. It's been a while since kobo have updated their ereaders...
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 01:31 PM   #14
codychan
Zealot
codychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud of

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Can you point to the rumor? I don't remember seeing one. The only discussion of this that I can think of, and that might have come from me, is the discussion of Kobo's timing for releases.
I heard it from another person in another forum, he heard from someone else.

He mentioned on 12 April that there will be a notebook with a pencil released in April or May, and now we all know, it is Kobo Elipsa.

And he also mentioned that there will another device released in September or October, didn't mention any more detail, just "new device", I personally hope it is Kobo Forma2.
codychan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 06:19 PM   #15
pavelh
Connoisseur

The life is so difficult. First I need to grasp my mind about resolution/DPI concept (will have to re-read several times the thick educational paragraph in one of the previous posts. Then decide whether to buy Forma while it is still in stock or perhaps gamble for maybe something better later this year. Choices, choices, choices :-)
Many thanks for all your kind replies though!!!
Bets regards and strong health!

P
P.S. I should be getting to all this information here soon, but not right away as I am in the middle of setting up my new PC with the latest Win10 21H1 and boy it is so nice to have Win10 settings shuffled around between releases or even removed alltogether. What a joy... I wonder if I would prefer a punch in the face instead of this (thinking... thinking...)

Last edited by pavelh; 06-02-2021 at 06:20 PM. Reason: typo