Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-08-2021, 02:59 PM   #1
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
3G Support Ending Early 2022

Per a letter I received this morning from Boston Scientific their cellular provider is ending 3G support early next year so they are sending out 4G replacement communications link devices for their pacemaker/defibrillator monitor units that currently use 3G communications. They do not state what provider they use. I have a combined defibrillator and pacemaker installed so this info is important to me.

If this is true of the majority of cellular service providers then a hell of a lot of ebook readers and older portable and tablet computers are going to lose communications capability for new and personal ebook library downloads from Amazon and Kobo it looks like to me. Older portable and tablet computers may also lose web browsing and communications too. Is there a inexpensive 3G TO 4G converter available for purchase that will allow continued older ereader communication with their web libraries and Amazon/Kobo? If not then a lot of older ereaders used by average users are gong to be pretty useless.
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 03:38 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richwood View Post
Per a letter I received this morning from Boston Scientific their cellular provider is ending 3G support early next year so they are sending out 4G replacement communications link devices for their pacemaker/defibrillator monitor units that currently use 3G communications. They do not state what provider they use. I have a combined defibrillator and pacemaker installed so this info is important to me.

If this is true of the majority of cellular service providers then a hell of a lot of ebook readers and older portable and tablet computers are going to lose communications capability for new and personal ebook library downloads from Amazon and Kobo it looks like to me. Older portable and tablet computers may also lose web browsing and communications too. Is there a inexpensive 3G TO 4G converter available for purchase that will allow continued older ereader communication with their web libraries and Amazon/Kobo? If not then a lot of older ereaders used by average users are gong to be pretty useless.
Minor nit. The only ereaders that I am aware of that have built-in 3G capability are from Amazon. Kobo's ereaders do not use cellular technology. I have never run into a tablet or laptop computer that depended solely on 3G for connectivity. On Apple iPads for example, adding cellular connectivity is an extra cost option whereas WiFi is builtin. Ditto for Amazon's ereaders where cellular connectivity is not available on all models. For the Oasis for example, the 8GB version does not have the "Free Cellular? option while for the 32GB version, the "Free Cellular" adds $70 to the price.

A tempest in a teapot.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2021, 04:24 PM   #3
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
AT&T isn't shutting down their 3G until next year. Current Kindles with 3G connectivity also have WiFi, so the issue shouldn't be that difficult to work around. They have had WiFi connectivity since the Kindle Keyboard released in 2010.

People still using the older models without WiFi will need to side load, but given the ages of those models, I wonder how many are still in use?
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 04:51 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
AT&T isn't shutting down their 3G until next year. Current Kindles with 3G connectivity also have WiFi, so the issue shouldn't be that difficult to work around. They have had WiFi connectivity since the Kindle Keyboard released in 2010.

People still using the older models without WiFi will need to side load, but given the ages of those models, I wonder how many are still in use?
The DX/DXG does not have WiFi. Also,any iPad that does not support 4G is running an old version of iOS and should be upgraded if cell is still needed. But all iPads do have WiFi.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 05:18 PM   #5
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
... Also,any iPad that does not support 4G is running an old version of iOS and should be upgraded if cell is still needed. But all iPads do have WiFi.
I have an iPad Air 2 that has cellular. It runs the current version of iPad OS. As far as I know it only supports 3G and the cellular service will stop working soon.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2021, 05:29 PM   #6
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The DX/DXG does not have WiFi. Also,any iPad that does not support 4G is running an old version of iOS and should be upgraded if cell is still needed. But all iPads do have WiFi.
I never said they did. I had both the K2 and the DXG, and do know that neither had WiFi connectivity. I said Kindles since 2010 have had WiFi. The Kindle Keyboard, released in 2010 was the first model to have wifi.

Yes, the DXG was also sold in 2010, so not all models sold in 2010 had WiFi. I suppose I misspoke.

What would we do without the constant correction? It would be chaos I tell ya, utter chaos.

Last edited by Deskisamess; 06-08-2021 at 05:33 PM.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 05:43 PM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Mine's been in the bottom of a closet for years already.

If the batteries in most of those older 3G-only Kindles are still holding a charge, it's because they've cracked the case and done surgery to replace them.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 06:28 PM   #8
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
I only side load my books from my pc to all my devices, always have so it doesn't impact me at all.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 07:06 PM   #9
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
It is because of medical devices and the delay in accessing 4G replacements that they extended it from Feb 2020 to 2022. It took me nearly 6 months to get my cpap machine because of all the shipping/importation delays caused by COVID. The new one has 4G. Some people need these things set remotely, so just like your heart monitor.

As to ereaders and tablets, most models use wifi as well. It has to be pretty old tech that uses 3G only for those. Also, I had to upgrade to a smartphone because virtually all the flip phones use 3g. The tech at Microcenter said in some tech, they can swap out the 3g part for a 4g.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 05:19 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I never said they did. I had both the K2 and the DXG, and do know that neither had WiFi connectivity. I said Kindles since 2010 have had WiFi. The Kindle Keyboard, released in 2010 was the first model to have wifi.

Yes, the DXG was also sold in 2010, so not all models sold in 2010 had WiFi. I suppose I misspoke.

What would we do without the constant correction? It would be chaos I tell ya, utter chaos.
It wasn't a correction. It was because the DX/G was not mentioned.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 08:34 AM   #11
ShortNet
Connoisseur
ShortNet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (all flavors from 1 thru Oasis)
This is sad news. My non-WiFi kindles have been with me around the world - and many instances where Wi-Fi is not possible or practical. And as I travel with a kindle and not a laptop, side loading is not a good alternative. Oh well, at least the 4G ones will still work!
ShortNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 09:51 AM   #12
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What non-wifi Kindle are you still using that the original battery still holds a charge? Just curious more than anything.
Old 06-11-2021, 01:53 AM   #13
Bricorn
Addict
Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
What non-wifi Kindle are you still using that the original battery still holds a charge? Just curious more than anything.
I'm still using a Kindle DX.
I have 3; one has mainly died (kept for spares), one I'm using (which is a "bitzer" made from 2 faulty ones) and the last is my spare, almost virginal, just charged once a month to keep the battery healthy and left in a drawer.

I'll be sad when they're all gone, though there are much better choices these days. I still love the size and the "off white with dark grey writing" screen. Much easier on the eyes than brilliant white and black black.
Bricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 07:51 AM   #14
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Thanks. That makes sense, with the DX being one of the last 3G-only models off the conveyor belt, I guess. But it was my understanding that the clock on the life of those rechargeable batteries started ticking right after their manufacture. I didn't know they could be noticeably extended by not using/charging them as often. Maybe I'm thinking of more recent rechargables, but I was under the impression that the number of charge cycles wasn't as relevant to battery life as straight-up battery age was these days.
Old 06-11-2021, 08:57 AM   #15
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I bought a DXG when Amazon re-released old stock after the PW3 was out. It had original battery, which was replaced recently, 10 years old date.
The life is related to manufacturing date AND total number of equivalent complete cycles, which ever comes first might be battery death and number of cycles possible and capacity reduces with age.
Higher temperatures age faster.
Life is better than Lead Acid Gel cell and some high capacity NiMH, but the NiMH capacity doesn't reduce as fast per cycle. Lithium weigh less, but the best NiMH are actually similar volumetric capacity and have advantage that they can last for years if stored flat.
Lead Acid must be stored over 50% charge, and is destroyed if stored flat, esp. Gel.
Lithium best stored 33% to 66% charge and can't be recharged if totally flat. It destroys them.
Only regular NiCd, NiMH and Lead Acid can be trickle charged when charged. Gel Lead Acid, high capacity NiMH and all Lithium types must disconnect the charging when charged, trickle charging a full cell damages the cell, or for Lithium, risks fire or explosion.
See Battery University site.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote