Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-20-2021, 06:45 AM   #16
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
The G-ereader review does highlight the one thing that does excite me about this device, Kobo leading rather than following Amazon. This device may help raise Kobo's profile in the ereader market space, where "kindle" is basically the generic term for an ereader.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 07:04 AM   #17
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
https://www.slashgear.com/kobo-elips...vice-20673655/
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2021, 07:07 AM   #18
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Pretty lazy reporting at the end of that article:
Quote:
. However, it’s unclear if the Elipsa can turn handwritten notes into digital notes
That exact feature is actually shown on video in one of Kobo's promo vids.
Old 05-20-2021, 08:02 AM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
Quote:
It’s worth noting that while it has a similar feature set compared to the reMarkable 2, and a similar price, the reMarkable 2 doesn’t include the stylus or folio cover. That potentially makes the Elipsa more appealing than the computing offering. However, it’s unclear if the Elipsa can turn handwritten notes into digital notes.
And yet the video just above this paragraph shows handwritten text being converted to digital text.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 08:09 AM   #20
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 6/14, Like-/Meebook 2/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by salamanderjuice View Post
Plus it will just be way better at reading ePubs out of the box. I've only tried the Boox side but Neoreader is still way way far behind Kobo's. I also haven't found an app on Android that supports ePub features as well as Kobo does, works well on eInk and has a good UI. Not to mention you can't use the pen for markup in an ePub outside Neoreader anyways.
I have more than 14,000 ebooks - it is not possible to manage them with the rather stupid Kobo software.
I need Calibre in the workstation for that, Calibre Companion on the reader and the one-time set Alreader is much more convenient to use than the Kobo reader software.
And to create handwritten notes in pdfs, a NeoReader, or the Likebook reader software is excellent - I don't need it for anything else anyway.
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2021, 08:23 AM   #21
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
I have more than 14,000 ebooks - it is not possible to manage them with the rather stupid Kobo software.
I need Calibre in the workstation for that, Calibre Companion on the reader and the one-time set Alreader is much more convenient to use than the Kobo reader software.
And to create handwritten notes in pdfs, a NeoReader, or the Likebook reader software is excellent - I don't need it for anything else anyway.
And I have a number of books with MathML or in Japanese that Neoreader can't handle and neither can most Android apps let alone in a pleasant way, yet even a Kobo Nia will handle perfectly. There is no perfect device AFAIK.

How do you even have 14,000 ebooks? Even if you've been collecting for 20 years that's 700 a year or 2 a day almost. That's just insane and I'm not surprised most readers can't handle that...surely that's 0.01% of eBook owners?
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 08:45 AM   #22
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
Nice but I think these devices doesn't really fill a niche. I use Samsung Galaxy Tab S7 to take notes, and it is much more usable in meetings and such.

This would offer an inferior experience at every level but reading books.
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 08:50 AM   #23
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
How do you even have 14,000 ebooks? Even if you've been collecting for 20 years that's 700 a year or 2 a day almost. That's just insane and I'm not surprised most readers can't handle that...surely that's 0.01% of eBook owners?
  • - I own app 25.000 paper books - if I want to read one of them, I look it up on pirate sites and if I find it, I download it.
  • - There is a lot of literature on Gutenberg.
  • - And of course I also bought a lot.
Old 05-20-2021, 09:08 AM   #24
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Elipsa is quoted $400 USD, including stylus and case.

A 10" Onyx Note / Note Air goes between $500-550, depending on the model. They also come with case and stylus.

The Likebook 10" Alita goes for $400, with a stylus, but without a case.

I don't know, but I assume the Onyx and Likebook come with faster processors, which I think is a big deal. At the same time, maybe the Kobo performs as well as it is Linux dedicated to a single task. I assume battery life is better. The Onyx and Kobo both come with 32GB. I assume the Likebook has an SD card slot.
Old 05-20-2021, 09:12 AM   #25
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante

Quote:
Originally Posted by GERGE View Post
Nice but I think these devices doesn't really fill a niche. I use Samsung Galaxy Tab S7 to take notes, and it is much more usable in meetings and such.

This would offer an inferior experience at every level but reading books.
Given the number of manufacturers already making similar devices, there clearly is a market for them. Even aside from the note-taking, one of the most common questions asked about any e-ink reader is "what's it like for PDFs?" 10.3 is incontestably better for PDFs than anything smaller, so for those whose reading is mostly PDFs, devices like this one will appeal. It may well also be that the ability to annotate more easily will be more relevant to the sort of reading material normally published as PDF. And I say all of this as one who has less than zero interest in buying any device of this sort.
Old 05-20-2021, 09:25 AM   #26
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Quote:
I have no intention of getting into a flame war on this issue, but honestly, why do you care? Live and let live; just because someone else has a different use case than yours doesn't make theirs wrong and yours right, and vice versa. Diversity is the spice of life, IMHO.
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 09:26 AM   #27
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
. I assume the Likebook has an SD card slot.
Yes, and I use my Alita with 512 GB.
Old 05-20-2021, 09:27 AM   #28
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Looks like a nice device from Kobo to me. It doesn't fit my needs due to the size and such, but I can see the appeal for those who need a larger screen or a stylus and more advanced note taking.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 09:29 AM   #29
Pajamaman
Wizard

Quote:
the automatic app whitening which is more of hinderence than a help to be honest, the different modes, having to fiddle with refresh settings etc.
I find the the refresh settings essential to make the most of the Onyx's functions. Using non-refresh makes note-taking and text-based web page browsing almost comparable to LCD. I wonder if Kobo will implement a no-refresh mode. This is an asset for note-taking and zooming/panning pdf files.

Edit: I note that on the video document reading and annotation only occur in portrait. To read a normal size pdf, you will have to put it in landscape. In portrait, you will probably have to zoom/pan. I am interested to see how smooth this is.

Last edited by Pajamaman; 05-20-2021 at 09:32 AM.
Old 05-20-2021, 09:34 AM   #30
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
  • - I own app 25.000 paper books - if I want to read one of them, I look it up on pirate sites and if I find it, I download it.
And you accused others of being thieves because they didn't buy the same book twice for a Kindle and a Kobo? Not that I want to stir that old discussion up, but this must be the very pinnacle of hypocrisy.

Otherwise I agree with you that it isn't particularly difficult to amass a huge number of ebooks. I have well over 20 000 ebooks. Yes, I buy A LOT.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote