Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-31-2019, 02:11 AM   #1
sydmalicious
Cantankerous Contrarian
sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: MapleRead, iPad Pro 12.9" 2018, iPhone 12 Pro, Kobo Forma 32gb
How many of you are using Kindle Themes?

I’ve seen the option just never played around with it. I did read some of the comments to get some ideas. Going to test it out in the morning.

Do You Like the New Themes Option on Your Kindle? - The eBook Reader Blog

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
sydmalicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 06:48 AM   #2
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I set up a couple of profiles, it's not terrible to have, but at the same time, I don't feel like I do about my kindle, smartphone, or the internet, "How did I ever live without this?"
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 08:05 AM   #3
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
If I read books and documents from different sources I might use themes. I read only books obtained from Amazon so I have no need for themes.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 09:32 AM   #4
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Lol, the first comment pretty much describes my situation.

Quote:
I have no use for themes. I have my font/margins/etc set the way I like and I never change them.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 09:47 AM   #5
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
I change my font size, weight, and line spacing, almost daily. My vision can be flaky, which changes what works at any given time.

I also deal with variations on the books that are sideloaded, so what works for one book may not work for the next.

Basically I think the "themes" are a frou-frou feature.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 10:26 AM   #6
ElspethB
Passionate Reader
ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S3, Kobo Clara HD, Fire HD 8, Voyage, Oasis 3, PW5
I use the themes, mostly because my vision changes depending on the time of day. I have a "Day" theme with a slightly smaller font for my daytime reading and a "Twilight" theme with a larger font size and one additional level of bolding for evening when my eyes are tired and not focusing as well. It's a nice to have feature, but one I can live without (and did for many, many years).
ElspethB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 12:36 PM   #7
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I use them sparingly, but I do use them. I Hid the default themes and currently have 3: Bookerly-Portrait, Bookerly-Landscape, and one that uses a Custom font. I rarely switch, but sometimes I accidentally use pinch/spread gesture and change text size. Or I muck around with settings and just want to get back to a known state. Themes are good for that.

I wish there were a way to ‘pin’ a theme to a book so you could have different themes in effect for different books, but it already is not that easy to understand how it works.

For example, on the Manage page display theme page, what do the UPDATE buttons do? I’m sure I figured it out at one point but set these up weeks ago. I think it overwrites the theme with the current font/page/reading settings, potentially redefining the entire theme, without knowing exactly which settings you are overwriting. There should be a ‘confirm these changes’ dialog that tells you which properties you are changing. But there is not.

It is a viable feature, but is in need of a few improvements. I think we may never see any, however (hope I am wrong).

Last edited by tomsem; 01-31-2019 at 12:58 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 12:52 PM   #8
Sol Arkite
Zealot
Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: KV; PW3 ; PW2 ; k5; KT2
Hard-to-Read Fonts Promote Better Recall
https://qz.com/1417818/hard-to-read-...t-your-memory/
Sol Arkite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 01:21 PM   #9
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Arkite View Post
Hard-to-Read Fonts Promote Better Recall
https://qz.com/1417818/hard-to-read-...t-your-memory/
There is already a thread for that here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=314426

What does this have to do with themes?
j.p.s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 04:06 PM   #10
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
I change my font size, weight, and line spacing, almost daily. My vision can be flaky, which changes what works at any given time.

I also deal with variations on the books that are sideloaded, so what works for one book may not work for the next.

Basically I think the "themes" are a frou-frou feature.
Your use case sounds just like mine. I use it to switch font family / size / boldness depending on condition of my eyes / mood / reading environment / book formatting.

Btw: frou frou implies something fancy and frilly but not strictly necessary or functional. It sounds like you found some real use for themes.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 04:25 PM   #11
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post

For example, on the Manage page display theme page, what do the UPDATE buttons do? I’m sure I figured it out at one point but set these up weeks ago. I think it overwrites the theme with the current font/page/reading settings, potentially redefining the entire theme, without knowing exactly which settings you are overwriting. There should be a ‘confirm these changes’ dialog that tells you which properties you are changing. But there is not.

It is a viable feature, but is in need of a few improvements. I think we may never see any, however (hope I am wrong).
Any time you make a change in the Aa dialog, a temporary theme called Custom is created. If you want to save the current settings to a theme, you have to click update next to that theme, or save to make a new theme.

All the settings on the Aa page get saved. I think it'll be unnecessarily complicated to ask WHICH settings to save, because there is a whole bunch.

Would be nice if you can save settings for a book. Like an "apply to this book only" checkbox at the bottom of the Aa screen. Every book on the Kindle already has an .sdr folder that saves information about the book, so it's not a big deal to add a hundred or so bytes.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 03:22 AM   #12
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
Any time you make a change in the Aa dialog, a temporary theme called Custom is created. If you want to save the current settings to a theme, you have to click update next to that theme, or save to make a new theme.

All the settings on the Aa page get saved. I think it'll be unnecessarily complicated to ask WHICH settings to save, because there is a whole bunch.

Would be nice if you can save settings for a book. Like an "apply to this book only" checkbox at the bottom of the Aa screen. Every book on the Kindle already has an .sdr folder that saves information about the book, so it's not a big deal to add a hundred or so bytes.
That’s a good explanation.

I was only thinking about showing what UPDATE would change, not all 9 properties. But it may be too much anyway. Users don’t need to be coddled all the time; if they wipe out a theme once or twice, they’ll learn to be more careful.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 09:58 AM   #13
Futuregrace
Zealot
Futuregrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kindle Oasis 2019, iPad Pro 11, Voyage
If it allowed inverting text I’d use it
Futuregrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 05:59 PM   #14
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I played with it but I pretty much keep it as it was before that update
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 10:24 PM   #15
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
I use them. I have 3 different ones right now. I have a couple of side loaded fonts and my eyes need different font/boldness at night compared to say daytime. Quick enough to switch.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote