Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 03-06-2019, 03:13 PM   #1
rickwilmath
rickwilmath began at the beginning.

Device: none
My first Kindle...is jumbled

I have completed a manuscript in Serif PagePlus. It is a book about landscape design and is mostly drawings originally done in autcad but converted to .png.
The layout is fairly simple, there are seventeen chapters with a page of thumbnails of the designs at the beginning of each chapter and the drawings represented by those thumbnails following.

I used Serif PagePlus to publish to epub3 and opened the file in Calibre and converted it to .mobi and it mostly showed half pages. The links didn't work and many of the drawings were cut in half.

Is there a way to format pages so an entire page will show up in whatever device is using it?

I can put one design on each page and even on a phone each design will be viewable. The designs would not look right if they were chopped in half and the reader would have scroll to the next page to see the other half.

Thanks
Rick
rickwilmath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 03:32 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moved to the Kindle Formats forum.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2019, 04:40 PM   #3
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
calibre is a great tool, but not the best one to use to prepare and preview a Kindle book for publication.

Amazon's Kindle Previewer can convert your EPUB into a Master MOBI suitable for publication and show how it will appear on a variety of devices, including those that support enhanced typesetting.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 11:11 PM   #4
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
calibre is a great tool, but not the best one to use to prepare and preview a Kindle book for publication.

Amazon's Kindle Previewer can convert your EPUB into a Master MOBI suitable for publication and show how it will appear on a variety of devices, including those that support enhanced typesetting.
I have to say that the ePUB3 outputs that I've seen from Serif Page Plus have not been exactly conducive to good ebook formatting. Much like InDesign, they seem to assume that they are outputting fixed-layout, which, of course, is a) the format of last resort, and b) utterly and totally unusable for making a fixed-layout MOBI. At least 2x weekly, I get an inquiry from some frustrated person, screaming about how they were given a "perfect ePUB!" from their print designer and yet, when they upload it to Kindle, they get a jumbled mess. At that point, I get to give them the "every device and retailer have their own proprietary fixed-layout format" conversation. What I've seen of SPP so far is that it does the same thing.

Now, about the "entire page" question--no. That's the honest and simple answer. That's a PDF, not an eBook. Think of it this way--do you really want the same "one page" to display on someone's phone, in landscape, on the screen, if that's what they're using to view it? No, right? Well...that's the beauty--and the occasional frustration--of ebooks. They're meant to adjust for the environment--one file to rule them all, so to speak.

But your images should not be halving. That's the Calibre-from-the-wrong-source-file effect.

Try KP3, but...I suspect the problem is in the ePUB.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 04:56 AM   #5
AlanHK
Guru
AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW-3, iPad, Android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickwilmath View Post
Is there a way to format pages so an entire page will show up in whatever device is using it?
I've seen a book that has the title page as SVG, and it kept all its elements, text and graphics, on one page regardless of settings, resizing the text -- it was actual text, not a full page image.
Inkscape can make SVG.
To just make an image into a full page SVG, in Sigil use InsertImageSVG
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=283333

SVG works in most epubs and Kindle AZW3, but not old KF7.
AlanHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert