Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 03-06-2019, 10:20 AM   #61
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I must admit I'm hoping for House of Names to make the slate. I've already read most of the other nominations, full and not, this month, and not only is House of Names new to me, it fits in with an Ancient History theme I'm pursuing this year.

I'm also interested in another unread which needs one more support, Compulsion. I plan to read both books in any case. But that's me, of course, and that's what makes a horse race.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 10:26 AM   #62
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I will second The Wild Girl.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2019, 11:52 AM   #63
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I'm also interested in another unread which needs one more support, Compulsion. I plan to read both books in any case. But that's me, of course, and that's what makes a horse race.
I first read Compulsion around the same time as I read In Cold Blood, when I was exploring books about murder and the death penalty and figuring out my beliefs. I've been intending a reread ever since the e-book release a few years back.

I plan to reread Compulsion (well, listen, actually) in conjunction with a nonfiction account of the Leopold-Loeb case, For the Thrill of It, by Simon Baatz.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 01:02 PM   #64
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
I'll be back...
Well, that didn't work out like I thought. My entire family got sick just in time for the weekend. Today is the first day someone hasn't had to stay home. Ugh.

I was trying to find a good book based on African, Asian, or South American legends/mythology to recommend but I was never able to get through the lists. I considred Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman but wanted something not written by a US or UK author.

Hopefully next month goes smoother.

At this point I am going to second The Beekeeper's Apprentice since I have wanted to try it and will check availability on the other nominations to see which other one I can bump to the vote. I should have time for that later today. (Crosses fingers.)
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 01:16 PM   #65
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I plan to reread Compulsion (well, listen, actually) in conjunction with a nonfiction account of the Leopold-Loeb case, For the Thrill of It, by Simon Baatz.
The price on For the Thrill of It is steep; fortunately one of my OD libraries has it. On my list! I see Baatz also wrote a book about the Nesbit murder; have you read that one?
Advert
Old 03-06-2019, 01:31 PM   #66
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The price on For the Thrill of It is steep; fortunately one of my OD libraries has it. On my list! I see Baatz also wrote a book about the Nesbit murder; have you read that one?
I did read the Nesbit one, but found it disappointing. I don't remember exactly what bothered me--I think Baatz went overboard on some details and skimped in other areas I wanted to know more about.
Old 03-06-2019, 03:46 PM   #67
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
I was the one who nominated H is For Hawk when we read it in the Lit Club. I was inspired at the time to nominate it because I had recently re-read The Once and Future King. I have The Goshawk on my TBR.
Thanks so much for nominating H Is For Hawk. It inspired a whole train of reading for me; I thought it was one of the best books I read that year.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 03:48 PM   #68
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I third House of Names.
Old 03-06-2019, 05:50 PM   #69
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
I have now managed to source a copy of All the President's Men, so I third it.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 08:46 PM   #70
bfisher
Wizard

I third The Wild Girl.
Old 03-06-2019, 11:23 PM   #71
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
I will third The Murder of Roger Ackroyd.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 07:23 AM   #72
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

The poll's up.

Just a reminder: we've switched to a three-day poll.
Old 03-07-2019, 12:06 PM   #73
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
I plan to reread Compulsion (well, listen, actually)
I decided to blow an Audible credit on this and it's most enjoyable; just what I wanted for the gym.
Old 03-07-2019, 12:23 PM   #74
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I decided to blow an Audible credit on this and it's most enjoyable; just what I wanted for the gym.
Speaking of Audible, a couple of books mentioned in this thread are in the new two-for-one-credit sale: I Was Anastasia and Lamb.

I finished Anastasia. It has an interesting structure, alternating the story of Anna Anderson going backward in time from her old age, with the story of Anastasia and her family's imprisonment going forward till the shootings. I found a lot of the early Anna parts (meaning the story of her later life trying to prove her claim) a bit uninteresting, but the suspense builds as the two timelines begin to converge.
Old 03-07-2019, 01:39 PM   #75
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:

I finished Anastasia. It has an interesting structure, alternating the story of Anna Anderson going backward in time from her old age, with the story of Anastasia and her family's imprisonment going forward till the shootings. I found a lot of the early Anna parts (meaning the story of her later life trying to prove her claim) a bit uninteresting, but the suspense builds as the two timelines begin to converge.
I can't imagine anyone doesn't know, but just in case I've added spoiler tags since I'm commenting on the real Anna Anderson.

Spoiler:
I think my issue with Anna Anderson is that it was more fun when it was just possible that she was Anastasia, however unlikely. But now that DNA evidence has scotched her claim forever I don't see the point. However, I imagine the book has to take that into account - not just the DNA evidence, but that you start the book knowing she's fraudulent. A story you'd love to be true, though.