Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 08-09-2011, 10:10 PM   #1
William F
Pirosopher
William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: kindle, pc
Book series that never end

This is my pet peeve. If you can't tell a story in five books maybe you need to rethink the story. I'll give a pass to books written in serial that have completely different story lines; mysteries and such. But, (and I'm looking at you authors of epic fantasy,) these recycled series of books that never conclude really annoy me.
For example, my favorite science fiction series, the Deathstalker books by Simon R Green was perfect. Five great books, and it ended. A satisfying conclusion to a great epic story arc. Then all of a sudden out of nowhere the series starts up again. Now I understand the reasons for it, I just hate it.
A story has a beginning, a middle and an end. Stop it already.
Thank you.
William F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:22 PM   #2
Joybells
reddit, reddit, reddit
Joybells ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joybells ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joybells ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joybells ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joybells ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joybells ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joybells ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joybells ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joybells ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joybells ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joybells ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Rendevous with Rama by Arthur c Clarke (I think). It was a good small book. Then a huge sequel came out, followed by another, and another even bigger, and the story got thin, wavery and unsure of itself. It petered out eventually, but why spoil the small, perfect gem of the original?
Joybells is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2011, 11:43 PM   #3
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
amen. it's one of the reasons why i never got into comics.

i need a beginning,middle and end. i need an element of "danger" that the character could die at the end of the series or something. when you start hitting 7,8 and 9+ novels, you've become a novelized comic book or friday the 13th film. it becomes a job to keep up, not a joy.

no story is THAT epic that its story should take 10 novels to tell. to me all it does is scream filler filler filler.

it looks like authors/publishers have gotten so embarrassed by the practice that they don't even bother numbering the books anymore.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 03:27 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joybells View Post
Rendevous with Rama by Arthur c Clarke (I think). It was a good small book. Then a huge sequel came out, followed by another, and another even bigger, and the story got thin, wavery and unsure of itself. It petered out eventually, but why spoil the small, perfect gem of the original?
The first book was just dull. No need for a sequel at all.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 04:01 AM   #5
Joybells
reddit, reddit, reddit
Joybells ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joybells ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joybells ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joybells ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joybells ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joybells ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joybells ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joybells ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joybells ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joybells ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joybells ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
@JSWolf - isn't that interesting? Rendevous with Rama is one of my alltime favourites!
Joybells is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2011, 08:19 AM   #6
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I think the Sookie Stackhouse books should have ended about four books ago. The introduction of the grandfather and the whole backstory with him just totally changed the series and the books have not been the same since. It's a shame she felt the need to 'explain' Sookie's psychic abilities. I would have rather it had just been one of those things. I have not cared for the most recent books at all.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 04:41 PM   #7
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
If the series is good, I'll read every single one the author publishes.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 07:34 PM   #8
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Patricia Cornwell's Kay Scarpetta series ran out of plots a long while ago .... now they're just kinda weird ...
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 01:41 AM   #9
William F
Pirosopher
William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: kindle, pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Terminator View Post
If the series is good, I'll read every single one the author publishes.
really? I lose interest pretty quickly these days if I don't sense some sort of resolution on the horizon. Sure, I read all 84 volumes of "Nana" but I think that's what put me over the edge. Much as I love the characters at some point I want to read "The End" so I can move on, even in a manga.
In novels its just inexcusable. Can you imagine if Tolkien (or his great nephew or whoever) was still writing Lord of the Rings stories? Sure there are a lot of great stories to be told in Middle Earth but... Uggh, just uggh.
There comes a time to just let it go and move on to something new and stretch the old writing chops a little.
William F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 01:59 AM   #10
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
Quote:
Originally Posted by William F View Post
really? I lose interest pretty quickly these days if I don't sense some sort of resolution on the horizon. Sure, I read all 84 volumes of "Nana" but I think that's what put me over the edge. Much as I love the characters at some point I want to read "The End" so I can move on, even in a manga.
In novels its just inexcusable. Can you imagine if Tolkien (or his great nephew or whoever) was still writing Lord of the Rings stories? Sure there are a lot of great stories to be told in Middle Earth but... Uggh, just uggh.
There comes a time to just let it go and move on to something new and stretch the old writing chops a little.

*cough Dune cough*

theres 6 main novels and 10+ prequels,sequels and "in between" novels.

when you're writing novels that take place in between the events of other novels it's time to let it the bleep go. no offense to brian herbert and his pub but they should just "weekend at bernie's" his dads corpse at this point, they cant possibly disrespect his memory any more.

based on the pee-poor reviews of her last dozen books, laurell k hamilton should have her computer taken away. authors need to let it go and realize when their series has jumped the shark.

i'd rather be left wanting more than force fed it until i puke.

Last edited by xg4bx; 08-11-2011 at 02:03 AM.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 10:53 AM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx View Post
*cough Dune cough*

theres 6 main novels and 10+ prequels,sequels and "in between" novels.
Amen (IMHO it should have wrapped about book 3)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 10:54 AM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Darkover, the 'this is not a series' series
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 01:13 PM   #13
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
But the Darkover novels were pretty much complete stories in themselves and usually had a different main character. They were just set on the same planet
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 03:34 PM   #14
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
I'm on the fifth book of the "A Song of Ice and Fire" series, and am afraid of the end of it, as it's the last one available. And yes, if there is another, I suspect I will have lost interest before it's published.

Of course I could just read the history of the War of the Roses.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote