Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 06-09-2011, 12:59 PM   #1
kharrisma
kharrisma doesn't litterkharrisma doesn't litter

Device: Kindle I
Won't group author/series together

HI Folks

Okay, I've done my due diligence and searched for problems like this; similar, sort of, but not exact match. Also, many problems of this nature are being caused by carelessness in the metadata area.

I've got none of these. I've triple-checked all relevant metadata for typos, extra spaces, anything different between entries, and come up blank.

I have several series and authors (His Dark Materials triogy, by Randolph LaLonde; Projekt Saucer series by W.A. Harbinson; the "Wayfarer" series by Dennis Schmidt) as well as others, that do not list sequentially. No apparent rhyme or reason; one is correctly listed alphabetically by author, but the others are listed below that (and not always together; sometimes a pair, then another below that pair). In short, they're kinda all over the place.

The majority of listings display correctly; it's just these random few that are confusing things. Also, some books that are not part of a series, but are by the same author, are not grouped in with the author (all Richard K. Morgan listed together, except for one lone flier.)

Is there any way to ENFORCE a listing order, to keep series and/or authors grouped together? I'm entirely baffled as to what little detail I may be overlooking, and it's making me nuts. (My Kindle is the same way, the title listings are just abysmal, differing formats all over the place... *not* ready for prime time!)

Thanks in advance!

Karl
kharrisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 02:25 PM   #2
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by kharrisma View Post
Is there any way to ENFORCE a listing order
Yes. These are my Tweaks to enforce this.
Code:
title_series_sorting = 'strictly_alphabetic'
save_template_title_series_sorting = 'strictly_alphabetic'
First - Do you understand that titles and authors are not sorted by title and author? They are sorted by title_sort and author_sort. Those fields are created separately from the title and author. If those fields are wrong, you need to fix them. They are set separately from the title and author fields.

Second. Do you understand that sorting can be 'strictly_alphabetic' or library sort order, where leading articles like "the" and "A" are ignored? You can set what words are ignored with the Tweak settings.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 02:44 PM   #3
kharrisma

Hi Starson17

No, I most certainly did NOT realize these things; my experience with Calibre is fairly limited, having had it for only a couple of weeks now. I've got it populated, and backfilled in a lot of metadata and cover art, converted some formats to mobi (seems to be the best-behaved on my Kindle), but that's about it. I just last night found out about some plug-ins (didn't know they were even available), and so just last night "opened the hood," so to speak.

I can follow the code well enough; where does one input these tweaks? I guess what I should be asking for is a good (but not too heavy) source of info, like a wiki, for Calibre. I do a lot better with printed manuals, for technical stuff, than online or onscreen, for some reason. Probably comes with being nearly 60.

Again, thanks for the info; I'll be banging around down in the boiler-room, seeing what's in there and hauling my tired keister up the learning curve.
Old 06-10-2011, 02:55 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Hi Starson17

No, I most certainly did NOT realize these things; my experience with Calibre is fairly limited, having had it for only a couple of weeks now. I've got it populated, and backfilled in a lot of metadata and cover art, converted some formats to mobi (seems to be the best-behaved on my Kindle), but that's about it. I just last night found out about some plug-ins (didn't know they were even available), and so just last night "opened the hood," so to speak.

I can follow the code well enough; where does one input these tweaks? I guess what I should be asking for is a good (but not too heavy) source of info, like a wiki, for Calibre. I do a lot better with printed manuals, for technical stuff, than online or onscreen, for some reason. Probably comes with being nearly 60.

Again, thanks for the info; I'll be banging around down in the boiler-room, seeing what's in there and hauling my tired keister up the learning curve.
Preferences: Near the bottom, you will find Tweaks.
Each one is heavily commented.
After applying, you need to restart Calibre
(I'll never see 60... again)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 03:17 PM   #5
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
The online manual is the best source of information (other than these forums ). It is not a wiki as it is not open to editing by all and sundry, but I have found that Kovid is very responsive to incorporating suggested changes if you submit some text to him that you think is relevant.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 03:23 PM   #6
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
No, I most certainly did NOT realize these things
That explains it. I wasn't sure. We all start somewhere. You've been pointed to the tweaks. You need to look closely at the metadata editor screen to see if you've got problems with your title_sort and author_sort fields. Changing the tweaks affects future entries, not the past (although sorting is affected, field entries are not). If the data in the author and author_sort match according to the present tweak, the sort field will turn green.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 07:52 PM   #7
transmitthis
Addict
transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Nexus 7 16GB
When I first got this program, it took me 2 hours of messing about just to get the Authors to sort Alphabetically by first FN-LN, but looking back, the options you have are great even if there a little complicated at first.

One thing I hate is looking down a list of Authors, by LN-FN and trying to find the one I want, I know some like it that way, and its some sort of convention to sort names by last name, but meh, if I'm looking for Charles, I don't want to have to scan to the left and way down in the Stross's

Edit: -
Quote:
HI Folks

Okay, I've done my due diligence.... I've triple-checked all relevant metadata........
I have several series and authors (His Dark Materials triogy, by Randolph LaLonde)
Ok I can't let that pass, lol

Randolph Lalonde - That'll be those Spinward Fringe books
His Dark Materials - That is most defiantly Philip Pullman

I think my Due Diligence and triple checking is just more..... er diligent =P

Last edited by transmitthis; 06-10-2011 at 08:07 PM. Reason: There was someone wrong on the internet
transmitthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 07:15 PM   #8
kharrisma

Funny how data tends to get transposed in direct proportion to the frustration level of the typer, ain't it?
Old 06-22-2011, 12:52 AM   #9
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
The quality check plugin might help you a lot. it will find title_sort and author_sort mismatches quickly
Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote