Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-21-2018, 05:58 PM   #181
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Understandably so.

Hitch
Up until this latest response, it's been one sentence that utterly misses the point followed by 3 paragraphs of insincere boiler-plate groveling; or a 10 minute phone conversation with someone who seems to be carrying on the conversation with someone other than me.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 08:13 AM   #182
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by library addict View Post
It doesn't matter who the carrier is for me when Amazon waits 5 to 8 or more days before even shipping the item.
This is what kills me at a visceral level with Amazon at this point. The fact that they have an amazing shipping system, but that what Prime actually is, is them not intentionally sitting on an order for 5 days before they ship it the exact way the would have any how.

Instead of paying to get something good, it feels like you are paying to avoid having an extra bad step added. Sure there may be good economic arguments for this, but it feels like cheap coercion.

My other personal quibble with Prime is that I have difficulty in my major metro area getting items that Amazon delivers with its own carriers (they often cannot access my apartment complex and thus do not leave the package. UPS, USPS deliveries have no problem. But they also cannot/will not set it to deliver thu those carriers, so I end up having most items delivered to one of those pick up boxes they have scattered throughout town, which isn't much more convenient than going to a brick and mortar. Actually, probably less convenient than ordering through Target for me personally.

So I am a former Prime member who for the last few years has used the monthly subscription option each December for Xmas shopping and then promptly cancelled. Much as I subscribe to HBO each year for GOT, binge a couple other shows as well, and then bid them adieu for a while.
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2018, 01:23 PM   #183
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by soondai View Post
This is what kills me at a visceral level with Amazon at this point. The fact that they have an amazing shipping system, but that what Prime actually is, is them not intentionally sitting on an order for 5 days before they ship it the exact way the would have any how.

Instead of paying to get something good, it feels like you are paying to avoid having an extra bad step added. Sure there may be good economic arguments for this, but it feels like cheap coercion.

My other personal quibble with Prime is that I have difficulty in my major metro area getting items that Amazon delivers with its own carriers (they often cannot access my apartment complex and thus do not leave the package. UPS, USPS deliveries have no problem. But they also cannot/will not set it to deliver thu those carriers, so I end up having most items delivered to one of those pick up boxes they have scattered throughout town, which isn't much more convenient than going to a brick and mortar. Actually, probably less convenient than ordering through Target for me personally.

So I am a former Prime member who for the last few years has used the monthly subscription option each December for Xmas shopping and then promptly cancelled. Much as I subscribe to HBO each year for GOT, binge a couple other shows as well, and then bid them adieu for a while.
Sorry--what do you mean when you say, "...with its own carriers"?

The other thing I would point out is that prior to the existence of Amazon, there was a standard admonition on pretty much every single thing on earth that you (then by mail) ordered, "allow 4-8 weeks for shipping and handling." It's only been since the advent of Amazon, really, that this obsession with instant gratification seems to have run amok. (And without the prior existence of FedEx, which is also a fairly recent innovation of the last century, would never have come to fruition, either.)

When I order from other companies, quite often, they take a week to 10 days to fill an order--and you can see people whining about it all over the Net. To me, it's mind-boggling.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 03:10 PM   #184
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Now this one is a pleasant surprise. I placed an order yesterday afternoon (Sun) for a guaranteed 2-day delivery (Tue). Well, the post office just delivered it less than 12 hours after I ordered it, and on a major holiday no less.

The only downside was the package arrived in its retail packaging and opened. The contents were still sealed and the item works.

So, who opened the box?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 04:17 PM   #185
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
So, who opened the box?
I admit it, it was me!
S
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2018, 04:39 PM   #186
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverraven View Post
I admit it, it was me!
S

I'm leaning towards Col Mustard with a knife in the conservatory
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 04:59 PM   #187
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
The other thing I would point out is that prior to the existence of Amazon, there was a standard admonition on pretty much every single thing on earth that you (then by mail) ordered, "allow 4-8 weeks for shipping and handling." It's only been since the advent of Amazon, really, that this obsession with instant gratification seems to have run amok. (And without the prior existence of FedEx, which is also a fairly recent innovation of the last century, would never have come to fruition, either.)

When I order from other companies, quite often, they take a week to 10 days to fill an order--and you can see people whining about it all over the Net. To me, it's mind-boggling.

Hitch
I'm not sure I like your tone, young lady.
You seem to be suggesting that even though the state of the art has advanced tremendously, people should be satisfied with the same performance of days gone by.
A century ago the rate of women dying in childbirth was 40 times higher than today. Should people not "whine" about a hospital who's death rate was like it was then or only slightly better? Have their expectations for health care "run amok?"

I think the advances are wonderful! And its quite reasonable for people to expect a company to deliver all it promises. Deliver...see what I did there?

Last edited by ApK; 05-29-2018 at 02:26 PM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 06:22 PM   #188
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Sorry--what do you mean when you say, "...with its own carriers"?
I am in Los Angeles. Here, Amazon delivers some of it's own packages. About half the time that happens, my packages are declared "undeliverable." Hence, I use their pickup boxes which are mostly located in, or just outside, 7-11s.

I'm glad most of you are fairly happy with Amazon. I do use them still. But only after checking the other options available.
Old 05-28-2018, 08:38 PM   #189
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
I'm in the Charlotte, NC area, but not in the city, in a suburb. We get USPS, white dedicated Amazon vans and people in their own cars delivering here. And honestly, 99% of my orders are here in 2 days, maybe 3 depending on what time I place the order. Sometimes even one day. BUT we have a warehouse about 45 minutes from my house. And I think there is one in Columbia, SC. I'm sure that makes a difference.
S
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 12:15 PM   #190
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I am really perturbed by Amazon delivering too early. When we are a our vacation house (Idaho) I often see an item I would like. Well, 2 day shipping is 4 days because we are in the middle of nowhere, so I often pick no-rush shipping to my Chicago burbs address. Well, that has been coming in 2-3 days, instead of the week I was planning on it taking.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 06:02 PM   #191
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Today, I got something I ordered Sunday night with no-rush shipping. Guess they just want to clear the warehouse out.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 08:27 AM   #192
soondai
Guru

And I as a nonprime member ordered a paperwhite on the 23rd, when they went on that one day sale, and am to receive it this Monday the 4th of June (the last day on the delivery window for free shipping.)

I might actually have to read a paper book in the mean time
Old 05-30-2018, 08:37 AM   #193
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:

That's crazy talk. Certainly your loved ones would stage an intervention* before it came to that.

ApK

(*or burn you as a heretic, for the good of the community. Whichever.)
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 12:37 PM   #194
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
I'm not sure I like your tone, young lady.
You seem to be suggesting that even though the state of the art has advanced tremendously, people should be satisfied with the same performance of days gone by.
A century ago the rate of women dying in childbirth was 40 times higher than today. Should people not "whine" about a hospital who's death rate was like it was then or only slightly better? Have their expectations for health care "run amok?"

I think the advances are wonderful! And its quite reasonable for people to expect a company to deliver all it promises. Deliver...see what I did there?
Hopefully, pretty much everyone can make a distinction between the reduction of birth-related mortality and the mind-blowingly crucial importance of instant gratification?????

I guess I'm simply old and cranky. I'm sick of it. People can't even digest news or data any longer--and more importantly, can't be bothered, not when being FIRST-FIRST-FIRST with a tweet or FB post is more important than actual validity and veracity. John Doe posts a tweet, and it doesn't matter if it's real or not. Doesn't matter if he's a flake or a nut, or not; people cannot WAIT to leap on it. They're outrage addicts.

All of this--whether it's Amazon's delivery schedules, social media, expecting major publishers to "fix" (OMG, a MISTAKE!!!) in a book--I feel that absolutely none of this is healthy for humans, who clearly aren't capable of handling it. I mean, tell yourselves whatever you want, but most of the ants crowding this anthill are Sheeple. All you have to do is look at the outrage over some alleged political thing, just in the last 24 hours, that turned out to be a thing from four YEARS ago. But, bygod, everyone and their brother leapt on it, so that it permeated all the air in the room.

It's all much of a thing. Whether it's people whining (no offense, all) about how they have to wait an extra day for delivery, instead of 8-12 weeks; whether it's trying to be the FIRST to launch a new hashtag, or announce some newly alleged wrong committed by POTUS or what-ever. You cannot breathe anymore, and everyone's communicating--if you want to call it that--in 140-character Twitterings. Which, of course, provides no basis for actual communication--instead, it's a "ME TOO" engine. So that--back to my topicky-rant--enables them to feel as though they are participating, even though they've done zero research, of course, so they don't actually have to think about it.

It's made the manipulation of people ever-easier. Feed the outrage, don't enable them--god forbid--to think, or research, or do anything that takes effort. Anyone who's studied animals or worked with them knows that any animal--four-legged or human--will take the path of least resistance. Social media, twitter, Reddit, etc. all take advantage of that. So does Amazon, which has built an empire feeding it--overnight delivery, etc.

As I said--it's all part of the same thing. People grow less-informed by the day, but more easily manipulated in large numbers. Their demand for instant-gratification is getting greater, and the companies that feed that do well; those that don't, don't. People don't READ any longer, and no, it wasn't always that way. I have to deal with this daily--I've had to change my written instructions, in text, to PICTURES and COMIC BOOKS.

You can tell yourself that they're not related--that kvetching about Amazon delivery times is unrelated to the rest, but IMHO, it's not. All part and parcel of the mindset leading to the Idiocracy. Honestly--and I never thought I'd say this--I'm glad I'm not going to live long enough to see the unintended consequence of it all.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 01:53 PM   #195
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
And I as a nonprime member ordered a paperwhite on the 23rd, when they went on that one day sale, and am to receive it this Monday the 4th of June (the last day on the delivery window for free shipping.)

Surely there is a 12 step program for that.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote