Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-11-2012, 10:40 AM   #211
diba
Addict
diba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4, Kindle PW, Nexus7 3G
Since having installed the hack today I have the symbols for "Zeilenabstand" and "Wörter pro Zeile" in Aa - Abstand in bold. Thid was not the case before.
diba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:25 AM   #212
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
This is not related with font hack -- it can't be. It's impossible.

However, I also noticed some weirdnesses lately. As described in the jbpatch thread, the gear wheel (Unicode symbol) also suddenly stopped displaying properly on my device, and my Kindle behaved completely erratically for some time (wouldn't open ANY book or application, just giving errors). I don't know what is going on here, but something is phishy. Maybe Amazon has declared war on us and is now shipping OTA updates to break our devices

Last edited by ixtab; 05-11-2012 at 11:56 AM. Reason: geekmaster :p
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:40 AM   #213
diba
Addict
diba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolate

Could it be the freetype library?
As long as you have weird behaviour on your KT as well, I feel quite comfortable. I now you are able to solve this stuff, for me this is not true for a lot of this issues.

UPDATE: updating jbpatcher to 1.1.1 did not change anything.

UPDATE 2: uninstalling the libfreetype-6.8.1 solved the problem

Last edited by diba; 05-11-2012 at 12:17 PM.
Old 05-11-2012, 03:47 PM   #214
chanderk
chanderk began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Problem in changing content font

Hi,

I have tried this jail breaking and font hack in my kindle touch with 5.1.0 firmware. Everything was fine, I could see the font changes in status bar, menus, etc. However the font of table of contents and the actual book content is not changed. what am i doing wrong ??

After overriding all the fonts with the one I have installed, I have rebuilt the font cache as well restarted the framework and kindle. No help. did any one face the similar prob ??

give your suggestions pls..

Cheers !
chanderk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 05:52 PM   #215
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@ixtab/diba: If it's still like on the K3, check the logs when the framework throws a 'can't open this book' popup, and it will probably complain about failing to find/open/parse a font.

I have no idea how or why that happens, because a simple framework restart 'fixed' it [without switching fonts/ft engine], but it did happen to me a couple of times a whiiiile back on the K3 when playing a bit too much with the [Aa] menu and custom fonts... (I don't even remember if I had started using a custom ft lib at that time :/).

I haven't seen it since, though, but then I almost never open the Aa menu anymore .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 02:05 AM   #216
chanderk
chanderk began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Thanks NiLuJe

thanks for hinting me about 'Aa' Menu.. I changed the font-face to sans-serif.. it works great.. I can enjoy reading Tamil books..

I have only one issue that the tamil fonts are not shown correctly in table of contents.. but i dont mind having the titles in English.. The purpose of my kindle purchase is fulfilled.

Special thanks to ixtab... His name was everywhere when i was searching for solutions..

Cheers !
chanderk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 02:22 AM   #217
diba
Addict

@NiLuJe: thanks for your reply. I leave libfree uninstalled as long as the fonthack is working properly without it. Even if the "bold" symbols have no influence on how the Aa is working, I do not like having it like this. I have to restart, playing around and looking in to see if something changes ;-)
Old 05-12-2012, 04:27 AM   #218
feifeiqph
feifeiqph began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Got 'semi-bricked' after installing the fonthack

@ixtab: I have a Kindle Touch running 5.1. It has been jailbroken and with simple_screensaver installed. So I installed the fonthack v1.3.1, and it worked fine at first. Later when I tried to restart the device, it just appeared to be bricked, showing the Need Repair thing. Nothing went wrong before that, I didn't do any thing that would 'harm' the device. So I connected it to the computer and it restarted automatically and then the USB screen showed up. After ejecting the device, it still worked fine, but the fonthack seemed crashed, because the letters didn't look like it used to be when fonthack was working. However, since I'm using a Chinese font file, if the font hack had crashed, I should be seeing blank blocks instead of Chinese characters. Yet, Chinese still showed perfectly. A framework restart did solve the issue temporarily, but now I just can't restart the device and use it without a computer! It's no big deal, but I hope you could help me with this little problem.

Last edited by feifeiqph; 05-12-2012 at 04:27 AM. Reason: forgot something
feifeiqph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 07:13 AM   #219
wolftail
Connoisseur
wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by feifeiqph View Post
@ixtab: I have a Kindle Touch running 5.1. It has been jailbroken and with simple_screensaver installed. So I installed the fonthack v1.3.1, and it worked fine at first. Later when I tried to restart the device, it just appeared to be bricked, showing the Need Repair thing. Nothing went wrong before that, I didn't do any thing that would 'harm' the device. So I connected it to the computer and it restarted automatically and then the USB screen showed up. After ejecting the device, it still worked fine, but the fonthack seemed crashed, because the letters didn't look like it used to be when fonthack was working. However, since I'm using a Chinese font file, if the font hack had crashed, I should be seeing blank blocks instead of Chinese characters. Yet, Chinese still showed perfectly. A framework restart did solve the issue temporarily, but now I just can't restart the device and use it without a computer! It's no big deal, but I hope you could help me with this little problem.
I had the same problem. I fixed it by installing the custom version of libfreetype. http://ge.tt/3ZRY9XE/v/7
wolftail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:39 PM   #220
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I am not able to get the jailbreak to work. I've restarted multiple times, re-downloaded the jailbreak zip file but I can't get it to work. It just reboots to the home screen and I never get a diagnostics screen.

I have a KT with Special Offers running 5.1.0 FW. See the attached image for the files I have on my KT.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kt_jailbreak.JPG
Views:	299
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	86706  
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:43 PM   #221
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I am not able to get the jailbreak to work. I've restarted multiple times, re-downloaded the jailbreak zip file but I can't get it to work. It just reboots to the home screen and I never get a diagnostics screen.

I have a KT with Special Offers running 5.1.0 FW. See the attached image for the files I have on my KT.

There are a number of different jailbreaks. Please provide a link for the jailbreak that you used. You also need an ENABLE_DIAGS file (which you have) on recent 5.1.0 firmware (or use MfgTool to boot to diags). The data.tar.gz is only extracted in diags mode on the FIRST reboot, and the payload it deposits is executed on the SECOND reboot. You should reboot from the settings menu. A long power-hold reset does not always install things as you might expect.

DEVS: We need a smarter jailbreak payload that creates the missing log directory and file (so you can disable diags in the diags menu), and that also deletes ENABLE_DIAGS and does the idme and reboot commands, so the jailbreak instructions can be greatly simplified.

Last edited by geekmaster; 05-21-2012 at 08:50 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:44 PM   #222
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
There are a number of different jailbreaks. Please provide a link for the jailbreak that you used.
I used the one from the wiki linked in the first post of this thread.

EDIT: The Universal Method Jailbreak

Last edited by daffy4u; 05-21-2012 at 08:46 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 05-21-2012, 08:49 PM   #223
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:

So you mean that step 6 fails?
Did you skip step 5? We can't see that in your image.

Anything you can add to the trouble report of: "Does not work."?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:52 PM   #224
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
So you mean that step 6 fails?
Did you skip step 5? We can't see that in your image.

Anything you can add to the trouble report of: "Does not work."?
No, I did not skip step 5. The device_info.xml file is in the diagnostics_logs folder.

As I stated in my original post, when I restart the kindle it just reboots to the home screen. I never get a diagnostics screen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	step 5.JPG
Views:	239
Size:	10.6 KB
ID:	86707  
Old 05-21-2012, 08:53 PM   #225
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:

That should be correct. Be sure to follow all the steps in the README (especially the two restarts).
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle touch hacks