Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-10-2009, 04:31 AM   #1
rvdparis
Connoisseur
rvdparis doesn't litterrvdparis doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Touch + iPad 1 + iPhone 4
new Sony software out now!

Checked for updates totally by chance this morning, and right now I seem to be downloading the new version of the software...I'll update in a minute...
rvdparis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 04:42 AM   #2
rvdparis
Connoisseur

I believe I updated the software (it looks exactly the same as the old software, I think)

Maybe they've done some cosmetic changes to the Sony bookstore site, because other than that, I don't see any real changes (using Mac OSX version).

It seems a little faster, and I am keeping my fingers crossed, perhaps they've done some "under the hood" (my favorite new expression) changes that will keep it from crashing.

R.

Here's a screenshot:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sony.jpg
Views:	572
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	40974  
Advert
Old 12-10-2009, 05:02 AM   #3
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Looks like they switched to WebKit instead of using a homegrown renderer.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 05:06 AM   #4
rvdparis
Connoisseur

webkit versus renderer

Does that change anything for us?
Old 12-10-2009, 05:22 AM   #5
rvdparis
Connoisseur

damn, i spoke/installed/upgraded too soon.

I plugged in my eReader, and guess what? Software crashed. No GUI, etc. etc. Like the old software. Why can't they get this right?

PS, I'm on a late 2009 iMac with Snow Leopard (and I am NOT running in 64bit mode, which I found out before is not compatible with the Sony software).
Advert
Old 12-10-2009, 05:53 AM   #6
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvdparis View Post
Does that change anything for us?
Hopefully that means they will use the same site both outside and inside the Reader Library software. And I hope we'll have the option to download books using a browser of our choice.
Old 12-10-2009, 06:50 AM   #7
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvdparis View Post
Checked for updates totally by chance this morning, and right now I seem to be downloading the new version of the software...I'll update in a minute...

What software? Library? Firmware update?

The new sony "reader" website is available, and there is a download page for the Sony Ebook Library software, but the new version (3.1) is not available yet. the one that is there is the current version.

Hmmm, just check in the eBook Library software for updates and it does say there is an update available....

Just did the update to 3.1 Sony Ebook Library softward and it looks fine here

Last edited by kennyc; 12-10-2009 at 07:00 AM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 07:05 AM   #8
igorsk
Wizard

Direct links: Windows, Mac.
Windows version still doesn't work with DEP... argh!
Old 12-10-2009, 07:37 AM   #9
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Tried with 3.1 on PPC Mac.
Strange results. Sometimes internal partition mounts, sometimes memory stick partition mounts.
Internal partition still doesn't work. - I guess the Mac team haven't had access to a firmware updated PRS-500 yet..
Correction - sometimes it takes a long time for both partitions to mount Internal partition still produces error, memory stick works.
Tried with 3.1 on PC.
Both partitions take longer to mount now! Not sure why..
The only concrete difference I can see offhand is the change in name to "Reader Library" and the PRS-500 shows up as "Reader".

Last edited by AprilHare; 12-10-2009 at 08:54 AM. Reason: Moar
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 09:00 AM   #10
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
New Sony software 3.1 - cannot find account management

I just updated my Sony Library software 3.1 but cannot find where the Account Management is located or my Wish List at the store.

Their Help file just this minute activated says:

"Click on the Sign in link at the top of the page above Categories."

That link is not yet there. I did receive an email that the new software would not be fully enabled until Dec. 11, 2009. I guess I must wait until tomorrow.

Last edited by sirmaru; 12-10-2009 at 09:14 AM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 09:07 AM   #11
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Dunno why this topic is PRS600 All Sony Readers use it..
OMG, I'm so screwed! Anyone read this in the help notes?

Notes
Reader Library is not supported by the following environments:
  • An operating system other than those included above
  • Personally built computer or operating system
  • Upgraded manufacturer-installed operating system
  • Multi-boot environment
  • Multi-monitor environment
The computer I'm using right now ticks 3/5 of those boxes!
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 09:28 AM   #12
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilHare View Post
Dunno why this topic is PRS600 All Sony Readers use it..
OMG, I'm so screwed! Anyone read this in the help notes?

Notes
Reader Library is not supported by the following environments:
  • An operating system other than those included above
  • Personally built computer or operating system
  • Upgraded manufacturer-installed operating system
  • Multi-boot environment
  • Multi-monitor environment
The computer I'm using right now ticks 3/5 of those boxes!
that's just silly. i'm guessing they invalidated 80% of people's computers out there. well, with all the problems i'm reading maybe i'll stick with 3.0 for now. can anyone say 3.1 is working fine for them?
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 09:44 AM   #13
igorsk
Wizard

They don't mean it won't work, just that they do not guarantee correct behavior. I have two monitors and it works just fine. Also, I don't see the rest of items (expect first) giving any problems.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:07 AM   #14
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
I just updated my Sony Library software 3.1 but cannot find where the Account Management is located or my Wish List at the store.

Their Help file just this minute activated says:

"Click on the Sign in link at the top of the page above Categories."

That link is not yet there. I did receive an email that the new software would not be fully enabled until Dec. 11, 2009. I guess I must wait until tomorrow.

Exactly. The new store doesn't go live til tomorrow.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:09 AM   #15
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
that's just silly. i'm guessing they invalidated 80% of people's computers out there. well, with all the problems i'm reading maybe i'll stick with 3.0 for now. can anyone say 3.1 is working fine for them?

Seems fine here, but I've not tried buying anything from the store as it is not live til tomorrow.