Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-17-2016, 06:19 AM   #1
EuroReader
EuroReader began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
"Extremely" slow Kobo Aura

Dear forum

I wanted some second opinions on how my Kobo Aura is performing. As I see it is is performing very poorly, but maybe I am getting just to lightning fast speeds from the Apple devices I am using daily.

I haven't used my Kobo Aura for almost a year since it has been so slow. So I decided to do a factory reset and see if that helps. The video I have recorded is done directly after a factory reset. That means no changes in settings and no content loaded.

Currently running software version: 3.19.5761
I wanted to downgrade it but after the factory reset it automatically updates.

Please let me know what you think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwuyk9LtyKM
EuroReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 06:56 AM   #2
bookaho!ic
Evangelist
bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo Aura H20 2nd Ed
i am on the same software and yours in comparison to mine (over 2k books loaded) does seem to be very slow. no idea why though sorry
bookaho!ic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2016, 12:01 PM   #3
EuroReader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookaho!ic View Post
i am on the same software and yours in comparison to mine (over 2k books loaded) does seem to be very slow. no idea why though sorry
That is nice to know thank you!
Old 07-11-2016, 07:44 AM   #4
EuroReader

Anyone else having this problem?
It is still incredibly slow.
Old 07-11-2016, 09:29 AM   #5
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That's a very strange problem, almost like your CPU is running slower than it should. My Aura has always had very snappy performance.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2016, 01:59 PM   #6
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, Marvin 3
Try rebooting the Aura, as it sounds like there's something running in the background taking CPU cycle away from the reader app.
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 05:20 AM   #7
EuroReader

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisridd View Post
Try rebooting the Aura, as it sounds like there's something running in the background taking CPU cycle away from the reader app.
I have tried reeboting. Soft Facotry Reset, Hard Factory Reset... All of these multiple times and it still runs slow after the update is complete. The video was shot after a factory reset.

Will try one last time tonight but I don't think anything has changed in such a short while.
Old 07-15-2016, 05:33 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroReader View Post
I have tried reeboting. Soft Facotry Reset, Hard Factory Reset... All of these multiple times and it still runs slow after the update is complete. The video was shot after a factory reset.

Will try one last time tonight but I don't think anything has changed in such a short while.
If it's not on the latest firmware, install that. If it is on the latest firmware, reinstall it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 05:40 AM   #9
EuroReader

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If it's not on the latest firmware, install that. If it is on the latest firmware, reinstall it.
Will try that again and give you a status update.
Appreciate the feedback!
Old 07-16-2016, 02:41 AM   #10
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Also try turning off WiFi.
Old 07-16-2016, 10:05 AM   #11
EuroReader

Okay. Did a fourth factory reset and disabled wifi. Also I didn't move any content to it make the content wasn't bogging it down...

However responsiveness is still sluggish at best. I can put up another video if you would like to see...
Old 07-16-2016, 11:14 AM   #12
chrisridd
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroReader View Post
Okay. Did a fourth factory reset and disabled wifi. Also I didn't move any content to it make the content wasn't bogging it down...

However responsiveness is still sluggish at best. I can put up another video if you would like to see...
Does it feel any faster now? They're never "teh snappy" but your first video looked slower than my Aura. Another video might be a good idea.

A side benefit of disabling the wifi is that you can install an old firmware without it wanting to update itself. If older firmware is faster then ... well I'm not sure. But at least you'll have a more usable device.
Old 07-18-2016, 04:49 AM   #13
EuroReader

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisridd View Post
Does it feel any faster now? They're never "teh snappy" but your first video looked slower than my Aura. Another video might be a good idea.

A side benefit of disabling the wifi is that you can install an old firmware without it wanting to update itself. If older firmware is faster then ... well I'm not sure. But at least you'll have a more usable device.
Actually it doesnt feel snappier... Will do a video later today
It always wants me to update when i reset it. But I guess I guess I could disable wifi and let it stay on the original firmware.
Old 07-18-2016, 10:29 PM   #14
freekobo
Addict
freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What if you manually update using usb and http://download.kobobooks.com/firmwa...-3.19.5613.zip rather than using Wi-Fi, is it still slow after?
freekobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 01:30 AM   #15
chrisridd
Guru

There are instructions and links in the thread here on how to install different firmware versions without using WiFi.

Tags
aura, kobo, slow