Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-06-2020, 04:36 PM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Nobel Prize in Literature 2020 - Louise Glück

The winner of the Nobel Prize in Literature (2020) will be announced October 8.

Who's going to win?

Who's not going to win?
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 06:28 PM   #2
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Will the committee take any account of the year of protests around the world?
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2020, 12:13 AM   #3
Camellia
She / Her
Camellia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Camellia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Camellia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Camellia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Camellia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Camellia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Camellia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Camellia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Camellia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Camellia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Camellia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Will the committee take any account of the year of protests around the world?
I'm making an assumption and guessing that you're talking about the controversy surrounding Handke, so the most relevant information I can find is from this Guardian article. Here's a quote:

Quote:
Björn Wiman, culture editor at Swedish paper Dagens Nyheter, said: “Last year was an exhibition in how not to polish your brand. They followed up a year when they had been explicitly prohibited from awarding the prize with giving it to Handke. I’m sure they were aware of the colossal controversy that would follow, and which did, and which further deepened the crisis for the Swedish Academy.”

“This is important for this year’s prize because they will, I think, make a safe choice. They will give the prize to a female author, who is not from Europe, and who is, in the political and ideological and appearance-wise sense, the opposite of Handke,” Wiman added.
Camellia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 12:17 AM   #4
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I'm pretty sure there's always drama, like when Bob Dylan won it.
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 02:54 AM   #5
Number9
Dude
Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One; Kobo Aura H2o; Sony Reader PRS-T3
I think that Jamaica Kincaid will get the prize this year. 👍
Number9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2020, 09:31 AM   #6
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Louise Glück wins Nobel Prize for Literature

Quote:
Glück was recognised for "her unmistakable poetic voice, that with austere beauty makes individual existence universal"
My personal favorite is her collection The Wild Iris
Old 10-09-2020, 10:14 AM   #7
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Louise Glück wins Nobel Prize for Literature

My personal favorite is her collection The Wild Iris
It’s a difficult choice, but I think for me Ararat edges out Wild Iris. Both, happily, are in the volume of her collected verse, which is a terrific value as an ebook, but I’ll say as an aside that poetry is the one genre where I prefer paper to digital as the layout is so important. However, this is not to try to talk people out of trying her in digital if they haven’t read her poetry yet.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 12:00 PM   #8
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
https://www.poetryfoundation.org/har...rrated-poseurs

Quote:
Exemplary Lines: "This, this is the meaning of / 'a fortunate life': it means / to exist in the present."

She is perhaps our greatest example of mediocrity ascending to the very top (currently hands out the Yale Series of Younger Poets award--oh, how we have fallen from Auden!). As with Sharon Olds, her poetry is an accurate reflection of the abysmal decline of American feminism from its radical incarnation in the seventies. First book, Firstborn, was stillborn Plath, and it only got worse--though she took 17 years between books at one time to figure out her direction, going from Plath's angry confessionalism to pure domesticity. Takes herself so seriously that her domestic travails are the subject of her own mythology (herself=Penelope). Utterly humorless--a characteristic common to the other mediocrities on this list.
On a brief reading, I see nothing that merits a Nobel Prize, or even a prize really.

For sure, Dylan deserved it more:

Quote:
Darkness at the break of noon
Shadows even the silver spoon
The handmade blade, the child's balloon
Eclipses both the sun and moon
To understand you know too soon
There is no sense in trying
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 12:32 PM   #9
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I found this rebuttal of Shivani’s comments quite entertaining. And persuasive.

https://flcenterlitarts.wordpress.co...in-literature/

Quote:
But I guess Shivani got tired of sitting in neglected glory down in Houston, where his novels, short stories and poems are published by small presses and nominated for second-tier prizes.

In Shivani’s case, as in Peck’s, critical judgment, grounded in a specific, defensible aesthetic, has been replaced with angry subjectivity. And, I suspect, resentment. The entire problem with the 15 writers Shivani assails seems to be that that are more famous, honored and successful than Shivani himself.
Old 10-09-2020, 03:49 PM   #10
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I’ll say as an aside that poetry is the one genre where I prefer paper to digital as the layout is so important. However, this is not to try to talk people out of trying her in digital if they haven’t read her poetry yet.
I'm interested in getting into more poetry, could you give me an example of what you mean?
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 06:37 PM   #11
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Issybird may wish to expand upon this.

The scansion of a line of poetry (the metrical rhythm of the line) can sometimes be compromised due to the width of the screen size on an individual ereader.

To put it another way: A line of poetry may have to be shortened due to the screen realities of the individual ebook reader that one owns, which means that a 'long' line may have to drop to the next line (when no line break occurs in the original poem), which can impact upon the look as well as the reading and appearance of the original line. This can compromise the beauty and the meaning of some poems.

Some of these issues can be 'overcome' if one makes the print tiny.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 10-09-2020 at 06:40 PM.
Old 10-09-2020, 06:43 PM   #12
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Thanks for the explanation, Dr Drib. It sounds like reading in landscape might help lessen the damage in many cases, perhaps?
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 06:47 PM   #13
poohbear_nc
Now what?

Some publishers insert a page before the TOC displaying a sample line, with instructions to adjust your reader settings so that all the words fit onto one line. I use this line to decide whether to read in portrait or landscape mode.
Old 10-09-2020, 06:48 PM   #14
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
Thanks for the explanation, Dr Drib. It sounds like reading in landscape might help lessen the damage in many cases, perhaps?
Yes, that's true: it can lessen the issue.

(But Issybird may wish to expand upon some components of what I see as a limitation of reading poetry on an ebook reader - and I LOVE ebook readers.)
Old 10-10-2020, 07:44 AM   #15
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Issybird may wish to expand upon this.

The scansion of a line of poetry (the metrical rhythm of the line) can sometimes be compromised due to the width of the screen size on an individual ereader.

To put it another way: A line of poetry may have to be shortened due to the screen realities of the individual ebook reader that one owns, which means that a 'long' line may have to drop to the next line (when no line break occurs in the original poem), which can impact upon the look as well as the reading and appearance of the original line. This can compromise the beauty and the meaning of some poems.

Some of these issues can be 'overcome' if one makes the print tiny.
Exactly.

There are minor additional issues, but they’re more of a quibble. Poems that follow one on another on the same page, compounding the problem of a poem that overruns lines or page. And, the loss of the physical and psychological limitation of one slender book of poetry, as opposed to an omnibus, whether real or virtual. Poems take time. A thin volume with a limited number of poems as discrete entities encourages one to slow down, to savor, to examine the lines and what the poet is doing with language and meaning. You don’t want to bang through poems.