Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-08-2020, 06:37 PM   #46
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCIII View Post
After trying the Kindle and Kobo desktop apps and thinking more about the whole thing, I decided to go with Kindle. I'm waiting for Prime Day to buy an ereader, probably an Oasis. For now, I enjoy using the Kindle app on my PC.
According to a post in one of the Prime Day threads, the Kindle Oasis at 20% off is more expensive then the Kobo Libra H2O at 0% off.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 06:38 PM   #47
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
If you have a smartphone or tablet you should also be able to use the Kindle app on that.
IMHO, I find the Kindle app on a phone to be not a good reading experience. The screen is too small for the wide left/right margins used. And if you need large text, it gets worse.
Advert
Old 10-08-2020, 06:39 PM   #48
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
The biggest advantage Amazon has over Kobo (that I've seen) is that (in the U.S. anyhow) Amazon has a lot more old history and religious public domain books that have been cleaned up and repackaged for a dollar or two and these are what I mostly buy on Amazon. So it's probably a bigger deal to me than others but, for my purposes, Amazon's selection is much better. Some of these "repackaged" books are DRM'd, but not all of them.
Calibre 4.23 with DeDRM 6.8.0 and you can have an ePub from those Kindle eBooks.
Old 10-08-2020, 06:42 PM   #49
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
I am limited to one e-reader only, and the last 3 of those "one at a time" have all been Kobos, after 4 Kindles in a row. As you say, ymmv.
I have a Kindle PW3 and a Kobo H2O. I use the Kobo much more often. It's not just because of the larger screen. It's because of the better reading experience and better eBook management. With the latest Kobo 4.24.x firmware, the dictionary is no longer not as good as on a Kindle. It's ether better or comparable. I cannot say which.
Old 10-09-2020, 12:04 AM   #50
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Calibre 4.23 with DeDRM 6.8.0 and you can have an ePub from those Kindle eBooks.
I've converted quite a few Amazon books into ePubs, I'm just saying the Amazon market has a better selection of the books I most often buy. I try to mix up where I buy novels from because I don't want Amazon to get all my business. I've even recently bought some books from Nook (knowing that I couldn't DeDRM them) because I don't want them to go out of business either.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2020, 07:38 PM   #51
LCIII
LCIII began at the beginning.

Device: shopping for my first
I've had my new Oasis for a few days now and am enjoying it. I have a lot to learn about its features, but the basic reading experience is great. I like the device's quality feel. I might eventually develop an interest in another device as I learn more, but the Oasis seems like a great intro to the ereader experience.
LCIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 08:52 AM   #52
Larla
Addict
Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Tab S5E 12" Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I suspect some great deity will strike me dead but I actually will strongly agree with Jon. However, since I switched to my high-resolution Android tablet, I will never (never say never) go back to e-ink. The beauty and clarity of the displayed text is outstanding.
Larla is offline   Reply With Quote