Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-28-2020, 04:15 PM   #31
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCIII View Post
The Kindle devices look great. My reservations about Kindle/Amazon more generally are:
- If I move overseas, buying books through Amazon might be more limited.
- Amazon seems pretty aggressive about the walled garden. I'm more of an open-source guy, and Kobo seems more compatible that philosophy (although I know Kobo isn't actually open source).
- I've heard that Amazon puts a lot of pressure on publishers to lower their prices, and the publishers and authors are feeling squeezed by it. I don't know what the various players' financials look like (maybe Amazon is talking more about cleaning up publishers' inefficiencies), but overall it doesn't look good.

Without getting into the ethics or the economics, I'll simply say that having made the switch from Amazon US to a more local Kobo account nearly 3 years ago, I can count on one hand the number of times a book I wanted was only available on Amazon, not Kobo. Buying books directly available on the Kobo is as easy as doing so on a Kindle is. And, imo, the hardware is better value for money, in terms of features for price.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 05:10 PM   #32
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
^ Awwwwww, Uncle, that's not nice! Kindles need lovin', too!

Why, just this morning I held my Kindle Oasis in one hand, my Kobo Aura One in another hand, and my Kindle Voyage in my remaining hand. All three got along nicely!

And you know what, I was able to read from all three simultaneously!
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2020, 07:47 PM   #33
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post

Why, just this morning I held my Kindle Oasis in one hand, my Kobo Aura One in another hand, and my Kindle Voyage in my remaining hand. All three got along nicely!

That's why I always recommend Kindles to every three-handed reader.
Old 09-29-2020, 07:10 AM   #34
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Touché!

Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 12:45 PM   #35
LCIII
LCIII began at the beginning.

Device: shopping for my first
After trying the Kindle and Kobo desktop apps and thinking more about the whole thing, I decided to go with Kindle. I'm waiting for Prime Day to buy an ereader, probably an Oasis. For now, I enjoy using the Kindle app on my PC.
LCIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2020, 02:43 PM   #36
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante

You've certainly researched and prepared well, you'll enjoy your new reader when you get it.
Old 10-03-2020, 02:57 PM   #37
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
If you have a smartphone or tablet you should also be able to use the Kindle app on that.
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 10:22 PM   #38
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
Without getting into the ethics or the economics, I'll simply say that having made the switch from Amazon US to a more local Kobo account nearly 3 years ago, I can count on one hand the number of times a book I wanted was only available on Amazon, not Kobo. Buying books directly available on the Kobo is as easy as doing so on a Kindle is. And, imo, the hardware is better value for money, in terms of features for price.
The biggest advantage Amazon has over Kobo (that I've seen) is that (in the U.S. anyhow) Amazon has a lot more old history and religious public domain books that have been cleaned up and repackaged for a dollar or two and these are what I mostly buy on Amazon. So it's probably a bigger deal to me than others but, for my purposes, Amazon's selection is much better. Some of these "repackaged" books are DRM'd, but not all of them.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 01:49 AM   #39
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
I don't want to turn this into an Amazon v. Kobo discussion. Both make great e-readers, and both have their advantages and disadvantages. Personally I think there is very little between them so far as the hardware devices and the software are concerned, though some features on one but not the other may make the choice very easy for those who highly value that feature. It is in the other areas that I believe Amazon is streets ahead.

I love my Kobo, but if I was limited to one e-ink reader only, it would definitely be a Kindle.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 01:59 AM   #40
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
I love my Kobo, but if I was limited to one e-ink reader only, it would definitely be a Kindle.
I am limited to one e-reader only, and the last 3 of those "one at a time" have all been Kobos, after 4 Kindles in a row. As you say, ymmv.

Last edited by Uncle Robin; 10-04-2020 at 02:03 AM.
Old 10-04-2020, 07:30 AM   #41
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
I don't want to turn this into an Amazon v. Kobo discussion. Both make great e-readers, and both have their advantages and disadvantages. Personally I think there is very little between them so far as the hardware devices and the software are concerned, though some features on one but not the other may make the choice very easy for those who highly value that feature. It is in the other areas that I believe Amazon is streets ahead.

I'm not limited to one ereader, but I do only use one, and it is a Kobo.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 10:12 AM   #42
Musicman
Evangelist
Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: EZ-Reader - Samsung Nook's- Nook S/T w/Glow - Kindle Fire - Nova 2
I would recommend that you take a look at the Onyx Boox Poke2 and Nova2. While they are a bit pricier, you are not wed to a single ecosystem. You can install the Nook, Kindle and Kobo apps and Libby for library books, which all function well. The built in reader app is fine and I use it for non DRM books.
Musicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 06:01 PM   #43
RETG
RETG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RETG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RETG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RETG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RETG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RETG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RETG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RETG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RETG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RETG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RETG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
If you plan to remove the DRM from your books, don't buy from B&N. You may not be able to even download your B&N books to your PC, let alone deDRM them. Besides, they only sell ebooks in the US. So forget B&N if you're going to live elsewhere.

The Nook is OK for sideloading, but it's less customizable than Kobo or even Kindle. No installing your own fonts, for example. And don't count on store assistance with sideloading.
Last month removed nook (B&N) DRMs from approx. 150 ebooks. Not that hard if you have the right software. Took maybe four hours and than included downloading books via Nook computer sofrware, then filtering via a software, then brining up into Calibre to load onto a KOBO reader.

As for a reader...I went from a glowlight to a Kobo and prefer it.
RETG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 06:04 PM   #44
RETG
RETG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RETG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RETG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RETG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RETG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RETG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RETG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RETG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RETG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RETG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RETG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20
Quote:
I don't want to turn this into an Amazon v. Kobo discussion.
However, you did!

Kobo readers are just as good, have and cost less. Example, Oasis 249, Kobo Calibre H20 169....
RETG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 06:34 PM   #45
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post

Kindles can have some loving when Amazon allows then to be turned off. Until then, um...
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote