Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-20-2020, 08:36 PM   #1
LCIII
LCIII began at the beginning.

Device: shopping for my first
First ereader: Nook?

I posted several years ago about getting an e-reader, but didn't go through with it. I'm now digitizing as much as possible to downsize, so having most of my books on an e-reader sounds like the way forward.

I'm considering a Nook Glowlight. For my first e-reader, I like the idea of support being available at any B&N. Do their associates typically know Nooks well? Will they be reasonably helpful with side-loaded books? I'm in the US, but lived overseas and hope to eventually do that again. Any issues with Nooks if you're overseas?

I assume I'll be fine starting out with just the Nook and B&N's e-book store. Eventually, I'll start exploring other markets and side-loading. At that point, I envision all of my e-books being centrally stored on my PC hard drive. I'll learn to use Calibre to manage my library. The reasons I see for storing everything on my PC are: 1) I want some control over my library, free of any device-specific obstacles; and 2) if I decide to switch to another company's e-reader, I want to be able to smoothly transfer my library to the new device (I assume having central storage on my PC would facilitate that).

If the Nook isn't a good choice for me, I'll probably consider Kobo next.

Thanks!
LCIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 10:49 PM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
If you plan to remove the DRM from your books, don't buy from B&N. You may not be able to even download your B&N books to your PC, let alone deDRM them. Besides, they only sell ebooks in the US. So forget B&N if you're going to live elsewhere.

The Nook is OK for sideloading, but it's less customizable than Kobo or even Kindle. No installing your own fonts, for example. And don't count on store assistance with sideloading.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2020, 03:49 AM   #3
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCIII View Post
If the Nook isn't a good choice for me, I'll probably consider Kobo next.

Thanks!
Unless the Nook has some killer feature for you, I'd personally recommend getting a Kobo and seeking your support here. I doubt whether B&N store support is going to be 10% the usefulness of that. (But hey, I could be wrong - does anyone have personal experience of great Nook support in-store?)
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 04:06 AM   #4
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Personally I wouldn't touch a Nook. Firstly, support for it has been sadly lacking from B&N for quite a while now. However, in fairness, there are some signs now that James Daunt places some importance on it which may result in improved support. Personally I wouldn't take the chance. Secondly is the unfriendly approach to DRM removal, though if you are not worried about removing DRM this won't matter. Which leads to the next point? Is B&N going to survive? If not, what guarantee is there that you could access your purchased books. Though Kobo or less likely another vendor may take over your account, this is far from guaranteed.

I've never owned a Nook but from what I have seen over the years they make good and attractive e-readers. But I don't think B&N's track record gives any confidence of their long or even medium term survival. Good luck to James Daunt, their British CEO, who I think has his work cut out for him.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 06:51 PM   #5
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
... (But hey, I could be wrong - does anyone have personal experience of great Nook support in-store?)
Do you mean do they sometimes have them plugged in and charging? (That's about the best you can hope for.) No, I'm afraid you're not going to ordinarily get good walk-in service with Nook (but the same goes for Kobo and Kindle). In-store service for eReaders is pretty much a thing of the past (in the U.S. anyhow). I don't know how difficult it is to exchange a reader with Barnes & Noble. I've never had to do that.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2020, 11:20 PM   #6
LCIII

Thanks for your helpful replies. I'll go with a Kobo. Now I'm just trying to choose a size.
Old 09-23-2020, 11:39 PM   #7
MustardOrMayo
Connoisseur
MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Likebook Mimas (main) + (many others)
Quote:
Thanks for your helpful replies. I'll go with a Kobo. Now I'm just trying to choose a size.
Yes! I really like Kobo for various advantages they offer over Kindle, and seemingly, Nook too! (I don't use Nook as I don't live in the US)

Would you like me to help you choose?
MustardOrMayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 07:13 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Kobo will give you a much better reading experience and eBook management experience then nook. Plus, you can get excellent support for Kobo here on Mobileread. There are lots of people who are very good at giving help.

So if you do move, you'd still have access to MR and the support you can get. Also, if you do move and your local library has Overdrive, you would be able to borrow eBooks for free with a Kobo. That's something you won't be able to do with a Kindle outside of the US.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 07:40 AM   #9
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
I posted several years ago about getting an e-reader, but didn't go through with it. I'm now digitizing as much as possible to downsize, so having most of my books on an e-reader sounds like the way forward.

Just to be sure, you're not talking about reading PDFs on an ereader?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 01:48 PM   #10
LCIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Just to be sure, you're not talking about reading PDFs on an ereader?
I don't think I'd use a 6-7 inch ereader for PDFs. I see an ereader as an upgrade for the reading experience I have with Google Play book samples on my phone.

I came across an interesting consideration in favor of the Nook. A couple of reviewers pointed out that B&N is the lifeblood the physical bookstore industry in the US. By using a Nook, you'd be helping the physical bookstore industry stay afloat. I didn't used to think of B&N as the good guy, but they're an important part of the US market and are a counterbalance to Amazon. That doesn't mean I'd automatically buy a Nook, but it's a consideration.
Old 09-25-2020, 04:33 PM   #11
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
I don't think I'd use a 6-7 inch ereader for PDFs. I see an ereader as an upgrade for the reading experience I have with Google Play book samples on my phone.

I came across an interesting consideration in favor of the Nook. A couple of reviewers pointed out that B&N is the lifeblood the physical bookstore industry in the US. By using a Nook, you'd be helping the physical bookstore industry stay afloat. I didn't used to think of B&N as the good guy, but they're an important part of the US market and are a counterbalance to Amazon. That doesn't mean I'd automatically buy a Nook, but it's a consideration.
That's a very altruistic motivation, but I doubt it's actually correct. Given everything that's been written here about B&N and their disinterest in/mismanagement of Nook, it seems likely that a much more practical way to keep the physical bookstore industry in your country stay afloat would be to go into one and buy physical books.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 05:09 PM   #12
LCIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
That's a very altruistic motivation, but I doubt it's actually correct. Given everything that's been written here about B&N and their disinterest in/mismanagement of Nook, it seems likely that a much more practical way to keep the physical bookstore industry in your country stay afloat would be to go into one and buy physical books.
No doubt, buying physical books is the best way. I do plan to continue buying physical books when it's the better format for the particular book, but I was thinking in terms of my ebook purchases also helping that cause. Again, though, I wouldn't pay for a substandard ereader over it. There's also the question of whether B&N will survive.
Old 09-25-2020, 05:17 PM   #13
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
I get the impression that B&N cares very little about their ebook division. And if they do go down, your purchases may go with them, it seems.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 06:46 PM   #14
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
https://www.thepassivevoice.com/what...nobles-future/

The link is to the extract on the Passive Voice of a post by Mike Shatzkin with his take on a James Daunt interview. I found PG's comments at the end particularly interesting, as are some of the comments.

Personally, I would not touch a Nook. Not because there is anything wrong with the devices themselves. Because of the many reasons in this thread, all having to do with Barnes and Noble.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 08:08 PM   #15
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
Personally, I would not touch a Nook. Not because there is anything wrong with the devices themselves. Because of the many reasons in this thread, all having to do with Barnes and Noble.
Well, a Nook wouldn't make sense for an Australian anyway. Kind of undermines the moral high ground.

I think the current Nook is a terrific device and a great value. I've only ever had good customer service from B&N, better than from Amazon or Kobo. Certainly I'd rather deal with B&N than Kobo if a device were faulty; Kobo is a horror show in that case.

I have a hard time seeing B&N as the big evil; there's plenty to go around.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote