Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-09-2018, 06:51 AM   #61
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The Forma is not slippery. Besides, those people trying to use the Oasis 2 without a case would actually find it easier to hold if they had a case. I find a case macks a Reader much easier to hold. The Oasis 2 is not too heavy. Those are just whiners complaining for nothing. My H2O is heavier than the Oasis 2 or Forma and I have no trouble using it one handed. I find the idea of trying to make new devices lighter and thinner do so at the ability to hold it. For example, the iPhone is too thin to hold easily without a case on it.
Is that in reference to to the ‘JSWolf standard hand’ and ‘JSWolf standard arm’? Or just a subjective statement about ‘all the whining’?
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 07:13 AM   #62
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I am saying the whiners are just doing so to whine for no good reason.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2018, 08:00 AM   #63
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebusinesstutor View Post
We have Kobos in our household (hand me downs from my stepdaughter) but I purchased a Kindle Paperwhite so that I could get Kindle Unlimited.

So a Kobo wasn't in the running.
In case you weren't aware, I believe you can get Kindle Unlimited books onto a Kobo.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 08:32 AM   #64
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
In case you weren't aware, I believe you can get Kindle Unlimited books onto a Kobo.
how ?
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 08:44 AM   #65
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I am saying the whiners are just doing so to whine for no good reason.
and there's me thinking that they were stating that they had dropped $200+ on a product ( verified purchase...) and regretted it , for the good reasons given in their respective 1 star and 2 star reviews.

and 7+11 = 18% of 857 reviews at amazon uk is a lot- its not just a handful of whiners.

I doubt they are professional whiners though I could be wrong. the fake reviews for most products are the 5 star ones, not the tail end
lets widen the net though, what see what amazon .com buyers think of the all new oasis...
well 9% of 4002 give it just 1 star, and another 8% give it 2 stars. that is a LOT of unhappy buyers...

there's no quick way to subdivide those into battery issues, form/weight issues, and other, but if we charitably delete 50% as being about the oasis battery life there's still hundreds of people with other things not to like, so much so that they are writing reviews...

If I was just about to launch a very expensive copy-cat shaped device, I'd be worried that I'd missed something
Advert
Old 10-09-2018, 09:28 AM   #66
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
how ?
Subscribe to Kindle Unlimited
Download the book using Kindle for PC (I believe this can be done)
Strip the DRM, if there is any (I believe this can be done)
Convert the book
Sideload it to the Kobo
Old 10-09-2018, 09:36 AM   #67
stumped
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Subscribe to Kindle Unlimited
Download the book using Kindle for PC (I believe this can be done)
Strip the DRM, if there is any (I believe this can be done)
Convert the book
Sideload it to the Kobo
My apologies, I thought you were implying it could be done legally.
Why don't you run that process past Amazon t and c
Kindle unlimited is a borrowing scheme. You are not supposed to steal copies
Old 10-09-2018, 09:48 AM   #68
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
No one mentioned keeping the book.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 09:52 AM   #69
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
My apologies, I thought you were implying it could be done legally.
Why don't you run that process past Amazon t and c
Well than, I'll add another step:

Delete all copies when the lending period is over.

Old 10-09-2018, 09:55 AM   #70
stumped
Wizard

What's this, let's all steal library books week ?
I thought mobile read disapproved of that sort of behaviour.
They guys who wrote the de DRM tools needed are 100% against them being used on loans.
You are also depriving the author of his share of the Kindle unlimited pot as Amazon will register no pages read once you have off lined his book into another format on kobo

I am not a mod but I think your" recipe "falls under assisting piracy and should be removed

Last edited by stumped; 10-09-2018 at 09:57 AM.
Old 10-09-2018, 10:17 AM   #71
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
No one mentioned keeping the book.
As stumped said, the same would applying to stripping DRM from public library books to transfer them to a Kindle, and discussing that is verboten.
Kindle Unlimited is a private library scheme, why should it be treated differently?

Last edited by murraypaul; 10-09-2018 at 10:19 AM.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 10:21 AM   #72
stumped
Wizard

"With a Kindle Unlimited subscription, you have access to over one million titles in the Kindle Store, including books, audiobooks, and magazines. Using your Amazon account, you can browse and borrow up to ten titles and access them from any Amazon device or Kindle reading app...."

I suggest the step by step how-to from a few posts back is snipped.

there should not be detailed instructions at this forum for how to get overdrive epub loans onto a kindle OR FOR how to get kindle unlimited loans onto a Kobo

as an aside, the Amazon prime lending ( if that is today's title) - the one which lets prime members borrow from a smaller selection of books to read on amazon devices is much more locked down. Those books only deliver to amazon hardware and not to Kindle for PC. I am sort of surprised the same lock down and restrictions have not been applied to Kindle Unlimited.

Last edited by stumped; 10-09-2018 at 10:28 AM.
Old 10-09-2018, 10:27 AM   #73
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
As stumped said, the same would applying to stripping DRM from public library books to transfer them to a Kindle, and discussing that is verboten.
Kindle Unlimited is a private library scheme, why should it be treated differently?
Did you know you can strip DRM from library books?

Hey look, I didn't get struck by lightening, the mods did not delete my post, ...

If you believe it is verboten, I suggest you contact an administrator and see the results.
Old 10-09-2018, 10:34 AM   #74
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
You are also depriving the author of his share of the Kindle unlimited pot as Amazon will register no pages read once you have off lined his book into another format on kobo...
I didn't consider this. But if you own a Kobo, and want to use Kindle Unlimited, than when you are done, just page through the book on the Kindle for PC and the author should get paid.

Quote:
... I am not a mod but I think your" recipe "falls under assisting piracy and should be removed
If you are going to quote T&C, why don't you quote guidelines:

Quote:
Do not comment about other member's possible guideline violations on open forum. Instead, please use the "report post" button to report any post that appears to contravene these guidelines. It is the button at the lower-left of posts and the upper right of private messages.
Do it.
Old 10-09-2018, 10:42 AM   #75
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Three points:
  • MobileRead has no objection to stripping DRM from OverDrive books for the sake of convenience. The assumption is made that the books are deleted in a timely fashion.
  • Kindle Unlimited is a special case and no action that results in authors' not being paid should be advocated or taken.
  • It is against the Guidelines to discuss how other members may be in violation. Report something and let the mods handle it.

Thank you.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
amazon, compare, ereader, fast, kobo