Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 05-03-2016, 03:37 AM   #1
344a
Groupie
344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hong Kong is done.
How to move Calibre data to different OS?

Hi there,

I have been using Calibre in Windows to manage my Kobo library. Lately I am trying to move to Slackware Linux, and I just wonder how can I sync the data from Windows to Linux? Can I do it with my Kobo?

Thanks in advance.
344a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 04:00 AM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by 344a View Post
Hi there,

I have been using Calibre in Windows to manage my Kobo library. Lately I am trying to move to Slackware Linux, and I just wonder how can I sync the data from Windows to Linux? Can I do it with my Kobo?

Thanks in advance.
See How do I move my calibre data from one computer to another?

The import/export feature will take care of the differences between the operating & file systems.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2016, 07:39 AM   #3
344a
Groupie
344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post

The import/export feature will take care of the differences between the operating & file systems.

BR
Thanks you.
Old 05-05-2016, 02:02 PM   #4
344a
Groupie

Quote:

BR
Hi there,

I exported the data from the Window's Calibre. But I can't find the import function in the Linux's Calibre. My Linux Calibre's version is 2.56. Is it hidden somewhere else?

Last edited by 344a; 05-05-2016 at 02:21 PM.
Old 05-05-2016, 02:37 PM   #5
344a
Groupie

It is OK now. I managed to finish the transfer.

The file exported from Windows Calibre is 'part-0001.calibre-data'. Move this file to the directory of Linux Calibre. Rename this file to metadata.db. Restart the Calibre. Then you should see your books in the Calibre.

Last edited by 344a; 05-05-2016 at 02:41 PM.
Advert
Old 05-05-2016, 03:27 PM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
What????

The Import/Export dialog is in the same location in the GUI regardless of your operating system.
It is the same dialog, BTW.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 06:22 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
What????

The Import/Export dialog is in the same location in the GUI regardless of your operating system.
- the OP (344a) is sort of right

If you rename the .calibre_data file to metadata db and then use Switch/Create on the containing directory you do indeed see the book list of the exported library - what's more SQLite Browser appears to see the 'metadata.db' as a valid SQLite database

I did that on 2 windows machines.

BR
Old 05-05-2016, 06:37 PM   #8
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, the metadata.db is embedded in that data file.

But I am a bit surprised it doesn't throw errors on encountering random weird data appended to a SQLite database (and I assume though I haven't checked that this means calibre's Export tool writes the metadata.db first).

It definitely won't restore your actual books though.
Old 05-05-2016, 08:20 PM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Me too - a bit surprised

I made a feeble, and unsuccessful. effort at pulling a .calibre_data file apart when the feature was released. Looking at it with hex editor now suggests the file does indeed start with an actual metadata.db.

BR
Old 05-05-2016, 09:35 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
.calibre_data files are just dumps of other files with size and offset information stored in a separate index, for efficient retrieval.

@344a Do not open the exported data folder as a calibre library folder, you will corrupt it. If you dont see the export/import dialog in linux, it is because you are running an out of date distro version of calibre.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 10:37 PM   #11
344a
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
What????

Calibre in Windows:

Calibre in Linux:

Last edited by 344a; 05-05-2016 at 11:22 PM.
Old 05-05-2016, 10:43 PM   #12
344a
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
.calibre_data files are just dumps of other files with size and offset information stored in a separate index, for efficient retrieval.

@344a Do not open the exported data folder as a calibre library folder, you will corrupt it. If you dont see the export/import dialog in linux, it is because you are running an out of date distro version of calibre.
Hi kovidgoyal.

The exported isn't a folder. It is a file. So I didn't open it.

I am now running the ver. 2.56, which should be the most updated one. The source codes of the Calibre I got from SlackBuilds, and compiled and installed in my Linux by myself.

Besides the import problem, I got another problem. After I plugin my Kobo to my computer, I can see my Kobo in the filesystem, but my Kobo doesn't show in the Calibre. Did I miss something I should have done before Kobo plugined?

Last edited by 344a; 05-05-2016 at 10:51 PM.
Old 05-05-2016, 11:12 PM   #13
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 344a View Post
Calibre in Windows:

Calibre in Linux:
That would strongly indicate that your linux computer is running an old version of calibre.
Either that, or an up-to-date version that has been bizarrely patched to remove that feature. Which like I said is just bizarre, though theoretically possible...

Yet you say it has 2.56.0 installed.
Old 05-06-2016, 04:07 AM   #14
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

@344a - to remove any doubts I suggest you post an attached screen shot of the full calibre window including the status line. To attach an image (as a clickable thumb) go into Advanced mode and then click the paper clip icon.

I asked someone check 2.56 on Mint Cinnamon Linux, she says the Import/Export option appears in the Library menu just as it does on Windows.

BR
Old 05-06-2016, 07:27 AM   #15
344a
Groupie

Quote:
@344a - to remove any doubts I suggest you post an attached screen shot of the full calibre window including the status line. To attach an image (as a clickable thumb) go into Advanced mode and then click the paper clip icon.

I asked someone check 2.56 on Mint Cinnamon Linux, she says the Import/Export option appears in the Library menu just as it does on Windows.

BR
Hi there,
It seems I can't access Advanced mode. I put the image link below:

http://i1229.photobucket.com/albums/...szdylrpmh.jpeg

Last edited by 344a; 05-06-2016 at 07:32 AM.