Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-25-2015, 07:10 AM   #1
SciFiWriter
SciFi-natic
SciFiWriter began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Tab 4 7"
Get Amazon to recognize Calibre

How do I get Amazon to recognize Calibre as my Kindle device?

I can goto Amazon and buy a book but it doesn't want to download to Calibre.

Is it really simple but I am missing it?

I tried looking on Amazon when I buy the book but it doesn't seem to have any selections for me to download to Calibre.

Your kind assistance would be greatly appreciated.
SciFiWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 08:39 AM   #2
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Calibre is not integrated with or supported by Amazon. Amazon prefers to deliver books directly to a Kindle. However, provided that you have a Kindle on your account, Calibre will let you download a book to your computer for transfer via USB. This will usually be in the form of a file with the extension .azw3. You can then import this file to Calibre. If you have installed the appropriate Calibre plugin from Apprentice Alf then the DRM (Digital Rights Management), if any, will be removed and you can use Calibre to read the Book, convert it to a different format etc. If you do not remove the DRM Calibre is still useful but most functions will not be available.

It is also possible to transfer a file from your Kindle to Calibre, but not all books can be transferred this way. In particular, books with the new typographical features download to your Kindle as .kfx files which Calibre does not recognise. So downloading an .azw3 file directly is the best way at the moment.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2015, 08:39 AM   #3
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
I am pretty sure you CAN'T download directly to calibre. You'll have to install the Kindle for PC program, download to that and then add to calibre.
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 11:45 AM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
It's pretty easy to setup Kindle for PC to work with calibre. Assuming it is the only device on your account, all purchases will automatically queue to download into K4PC (if not, set your default device to K4PC).
As you buy books, they will download to K4PC whenever you open the application.
You MUST use the win32 version, not the Metro app. You can download the right version at http://amzn.com/kindlepcdownload/

Then, set your calibre auto-add folder (Preferences ==> Adding books ==> Automatic Adding) to the "My Kindle Content" folder.
Whenever calibre is opened, it will import your new books.

If you have the plugin by Apprentice Alf (https://apprenticealf.wordpress.com) then the books will be automatically DeDRMed as well,.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 08:33 PM   #5
SciFiWriter
SciFi-natic
SciFiWriter began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Tab 4 7"
Thank you so much for your kind assistance.
What you are saying is that I can't get there from here. I have to start from someplace else.
So I did. I downloaded both the Kindle4PC and the DeDRM plugin. I will have to figure out how to get the DeDRM plugin working... but I will.

Damn I love this site. You all are so helpful.
SciFiWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert