Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-03-2011, 09:34 PM   #121
guyanonymous
Guru
guyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud of

Device: Ebookwise 1150 / 1200
I'm jumping in late here. Is this the type of touchscreen (non capacitive?) that could be used through plastic (a waterproof map bag)? Or is there any way to change pages while it's in such a bag?
guyanonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 09:33 AM   #122
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Well I found the unit in the FCC database Unfortunately, Kobo has requested confidentiality on some of the submitted data until August 16, 2011.

The link is FCC Database - FCC IDZJLKOBON905

What is interesting is that on (for instance) the Kobo Wifi the applicant in the FCC was Netronix Inc; for this unit the applicant is Kobo.

If the sample label is correct, power consumption is now listed as 5V 0.8 A compared to the Wifi being 5V 1.0 A.

Last edited by PeterT; 06-04-2011 at 09:41 AM.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2011, 02:45 PM   #123
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Well I was on the fence till this morning and Nook finally released their user guide for the Nook Touch. I'm really looking at the Kobo Touch now. It seems the Nook Touch internal storage is really small for non B&N books. The SD Card books do not appear in books section but under it's own section called My Files.

I did finally see some user pics and the reviewer was wrong. The Nook screen is as good as the K3 so I figure the Kobo Touch will be as well.

I really like the Kobo touch and so I can wait a couple months till someone other then Borders sells them.

I love there will be no more fees too. That really helped me decide.
I want a black one by the way.

Last edited by Blossom; 06-04-2011 at 02:48 PM.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 05:33 PM   #124
m_bisson
Groupie
m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.

Device: kobo touch :)
Why can't they ship them now!??! I want it! NOW!!!
m_bisson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 11:36 PM   #125
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_bisson View Post
Why can't they ship them now!??! I want it! NOW!!!
Even early winter will be "now", when time comes to it. So, your
request fulfilled.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2011, 08:03 AM   #126
Dedale
Guest Star
Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Sony PRS-700, Nook STR
I dropped to a Chapters yesterday. They had a list for people who wishes to know when the demo and stock would arrive.

I'll share the information in due time for those who are interested.
Dedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 08:24 AM   #127
cutterjohn42
Addict
cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm IIIx, EBM-911, REB-1100(dead), PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Well I was on the fence till this morning and Nook finally released their user guide for the Nook Touch. I'm really looking at the Kobo Touch now. It seems the Nook Touch internal storage is really small for non B&N books. The SD Card books do not appear in books section but under it's own section called My Files.

I did finally see some user pics and the reviewer was wrong. The Nook screen is as good as the K3 so I figure the Kobo Touch will be as well.

I really like the Kobo touch and so I can wait a couple months till someone other then Borders sells them.

I love there will be no more fees too. That really helped me decide.
I want a black one by the way.
Apparently all the Nooks do this, my Nook Color is like this as well, but once opened it will shop up in library and if they have a continue reading function it will re-open the book to the last opened page. (On a NC if you IIRC long press the last read it'll give a list of the last 5 or so books to pick from as well...)

It's not the greatest system, but it works better than Kobo's crufty book listing. I still prefer the Sony system to either Kobo or B&N Nooks though... esp. the ability to list books by date/time added...
cutterjohn42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 12:30 PM   #128
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedale View Post
I dropped to a Chapters yesterday. They had a list for people who wishes to know when the demo and stock would arrive.

I'll share the information in due time for those who are interested.
Please do!
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 03:15 PM   #129
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutterjohn42 View Post
Apparently all the Nooks do this, my Nook Color is like this as well, but once opened it will shop up in library and if they have a continue reading function it will re-open the book to the last opened page. (On a NC if you IIRC long press the last read it'll give a list of the last 5 or so books to pick from as well...)

It's not the greatest system, but it works better than Kobo's crufty book listing. I still prefer the Sony system to either Kobo or B&N Nooks though... esp. the ability to list books by date/time added...
Thanks for the info. I really don't want a reader where most space is reserve for B&N content only seeing I don't use their store. I have some freebies I've gotten from them but due to their 1 cent charges I had to stop getting free books them.

The New Kobo Touch will have a Favorites list for books.

From Kobo's site:
Quote:
Sort from A to Z, by 'Title' or 'Author' to easily find your next great read. Now with large cover images, multiple views, predictive search and a special list you can use to keep track of your favourites, our newly introduced features make navigating the library a breeze.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 03:32 PM   #130
HarryH
Enthusiast
HarryH began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Version 1 firmware v 1.8.3
new kobo

I dropped into Chapters yesterday .. all I got in info was sometime between now and fathers day

This is on the east coast of Canada ... they mention that they should be in all the outlletts at the same time

Harry
HarryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 09:26 PM   #131
nightfool
nightfool began at the beginning.

Device: nook color, kobo touch
I've read in Kobo's facebook page that it will be in stores the 10th in Canada, and the 17th in the USA. Or at least Kobo is hoping for, so who knows.
nightfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:18 PM   #132
Zoshka
Connoisseur
Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 & 4, Nook Tablet
I wish they'd get their story straight. On the Borders site it says the Kobo touch won't be available to order in the US until July 30, and this blogger emailed both Borders and Kobo, who confirmed the July 30 date:

http://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/201...l-end-of-july/

Note the "Get one for Dad" on the Borders site, which would be a little difficult if it doesn't arrive until August...maybe they mean get Dad a Christmas present. I'm disappointed, because I was excited to see the features of the Kobo Touch, but by delaying so long, they'd be marginalized by Nook Touch hype and momentum, and the US release would be around the time a new Kindle usually appears.
Zoshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 11:40 PM   #133
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyanonymous View Post
I'm jumping in late here. Is this the type of touchscreen (non capacitive?) that could be used through plastic (a waterproof map bag)? Or is there any way to change pages while it's in such a bag?
the screen touchscreen is infrared; very simply, there are beams that crisscross acrross the screen and when your finger break the beam, the device knows where your finger is. In other words, yes, you should be able to use it within a WP map bag.
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 08:40 AM   #134
davebalme
Enthusiast
davebalme began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 360, Ipad, Kobo Wireless, Archos 70b & 80G9. And a Kobo Arc
Is anyone aware of a UK release date for the Touch?
davebalme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 12:18 PM   #135
forkyfork
Zealot
forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: It's a long story ;)
Sorry if this has been addressed, but will the kobo touch allow you to tap the screen to turn a page (like the nook) or do you HAVE to swipe?
forkyfork is offline   Reply With Quote