Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-08-2011, 05:53 PM   #151
moffattm
Addict
moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Glo
Kobo Touch Unboxing Video

For those interested there's a video on YouTube of someone unboxing their new Kobo Touch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mS24BUhCkhI

What I found impressive was the start-up time; my original Kobo takes about 35 seconds but it looks like the Touch takes just 1-2 seconds. I don't know how this compares to the Kobo Wi-Fi (second gen Kobo)?
moffattm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 06:21 PM   #152
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
There was also a tweet from Chapters Square 1 that the Touch will be available there on Friday--I'm not sure about anyplace else, yet.

Quote:
The wait is ALMOST OVER! The new Kobo Touch will be available on Friday, June 10. Come early to avoid the line-up.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2011, 06:25 PM   #153
siraks
use the force
siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo K1
i was in there today going to order my copy and they said if i pre-ordered online it would roughly 10 days due to the postal strike and if i bought one fri/sat then i'd get it right away.
i'm going to check friday regardless but they manager said saturday for sure. i'll check both days in the morning and see what's up.
siraks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 06:49 PM   #154
dixieknits
Addict
dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Color
[QUOTE=Zoshka;1594396]June 19, good news. I ordered a Nook Touch, but don't want to deal with the front screen book ads and the 75% of memory limited to BN content only. After playing with one, I also didn't like the side page-turn buttons, which along with battery life were the only advantages over the Kobo, I think.

I didn't realize that the Nook Touch has side page turn buttons. I really like that feature, but not the file structure and front screen ads. Does the new Kobo touch reader have side buttons also?
dixieknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 07:12 PM   #155
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
[QUOTE=dixieknits;1596315]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoshka View Post
June 19, good news. I ordered a Nook Touch, but don't want to deal with the front screen book ads and the 75% of memory limited to BN content only. After playing with one, I also didn't like the side page-turn buttons, which along with battery life were the only advantages over the Kobo, I think.

I didn't realize that the Nook Touch has side page turn buttons. I really like that feature, but not the file structure and front screen ads. Does the new Kobo touch reader have side buttons also?
No it doesn't. However, you can use the sides of the screen as super-silent-no-tactile-feedback "buttons"
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2011, 07:28 PM   #156
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I just spoke to my local Chapters in Red Deer, AB. I was told that alternative shipping has been arranged so that orders placed on-line will NOT be affected by the postal strike. The manager here recommended that I keep my on-line order. Last time Red Deer got their Kobo's late as they were diverted to Calgary stores instead .
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 07:31 PM   #157
siraks
use the force
siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
I just spoke to my local Chapters in Red Deer, AB. I was told that alternative shipping has been arranged so that orders placed on-line will NOT be affected by the postal strike. The manager here recommended that I keep my on-line order. Last time Red Deer got their Kobo's late as they were diverted to Calgary stores instead .
guess it's different all over the place. maybe i was told the 10 day period due to a late pre-order.
i'll just go in store and try to snag one fri or sat a.m.

Quote:
SameerH

No it doesn't. However, you can use the sides of the screen as super-silent-no-tactile-feedback "buttons"
i will definitely be using the side of the screen to turn pages rather than the swipe, but things may change.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:49 PM   #158
Canorka
Connoisseur
Canorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Touch
It's out on the 10th. Was just in the Eaton Centre Indigo in Toronto and they had a couple on display already. It's very nice, particularly the black edition which has the soft texture of the quilt applied to the front as well as the back, which I like.

My first gen still works perfectly though, and given that the touch doesn't do endnotes yet, I think I'll hold off for a while.
Canorka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 10:42 PM   #159
MechR
Connoisseur
MechR began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimW View Post
If anyone wants the older version, Borders has them for $60.

http://www.borders.com/online/store/...1&id=62667696&
Note that that's the one without Wifi.
MechR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 11:03 PM   #160
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechR View Post
Note that that's the one without Wifi.
Very true. However, if someone wanted a very inexpensive ePub reader, $60 isn't a bad price.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 12:27 AM   #161
joshmosh
Enthusiast
joshmosh began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canorka View Post
It's out on the 10th. Was just in the Eaton Centre Indigo in Toronto and they had a couple on display already. It's very nice, particularly the black edition which has the soft texture of the quilt applied to the front as well as the back, which I like.

My first gen still works perfectly though, and given that the touch doesn't do endnotes yet, I think I'll hold off for a while.
Wow, so the black has a different material front than the other colors? It's not the usual plastic? I dislike the black plastic on the current Kobo because I find that it scratches way too easily. To have a more durable front would be a great upgrade.
joshmosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 12:50 AM   #162
dafrizz
Ultimate Player
dafrizz will become famous soon enoughdafrizz will become famous soon enoughdafrizz will become famous soon enoughdafrizz will become famous soon enoughdafrizz will become famous soon enoughdafrizz will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo 1, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshmosh View Post
Wow, so the black has a different material front than the other colors?
I seriously doubt that. In the pictures and videos I have seen the black one has the same material (ie no quilts) on the front as the other colours. Not sure where Canorka got that info from.
dafrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 08:40 AM   #163
Canorka
Connoisseur
Canorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by dafrizz View Post
I seriously doubt that. In the pictures and videos I have seen the black one has the same material (ie no quilts) on the front as the other colours. Not sure where Canorka got that info from.
The front is not quilted. It just has the "soft" finish (or however you want to qualify it) that is applied to the quilt on the 1st and 2nd gen Kobos. I handled the thing myself in store.

I doubt it's more resistant to scratching than plain old regular plastic though. At least that has not been my experience with my Kobo.
Canorka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 04:20 PM   #164
Grumpy2906
Grumpy2906 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, Ipad
Hi, is the wi-fi only for purchasing books ?

Thanks.
Grumpy2906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 04:39 PM   #165
siraks
use the force

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy2906 View Post
Hi, is the wi-fi only for purchasing books ?

Thanks.
last i read the wifi is used to purchase books but it's also linked to social sites to keep you connected and let people know what you're reading etc.
i don't know the full details just looked at it briefly.
the seller for me is touch, i never used the wifi on the kobo wifi to purchase books and i'm glad it's not a browser as i don't see me surfing espn to check box scores while reading