Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 06-25-2021, 07:11 PM   #1
3Pi
3Pi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10
Kindle does not display covers on lock screen

On my ad-free Kindle Paperwhite 10 with latest firmware (5.13.6), ebooks converted with Calibre do not display their cover on the lock screen.
I suspect a bug similar to covers that were not displayed in the menu...
Is there a kind of workaround to solve that ? (like the thumbnails folder)
Thanks for any help !
3Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 08:21 PM   #2
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Books converted with the default settings and sideloaded via USB should show the cover on the lock screen. If you are emailing the books to your account or using conversion settings that mark books as a personal documents then the cover will not show.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 07:57 AM   #3
3Pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Books converted with the default settings and sideloaded via USB should show the cover on the lock screen. If you are emailing the books to your account or using conversion settings that mark books as a personal documents then the cover will not show.
Thanks for you answer, but all the books I put on my Kindle are USB sideloaded and there is cover for none of them (books covers are enable in the menu).
IS there a specific conversion option I should look at ?
Old 07-04-2021, 10:31 AM   #4
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Pi View Post
IS there a specific conversion option I should look at ?
Make sure that the "Enable sharing of book content..." option is not selected in the MOBI output or AZW3 output conversion settings.
Old 07-15-2021, 06:10 PM   #5
3Pi

Quote:
Make sure that the "Enable sharing of book content..." option is not selected in the MOBI output or AZW3 output conversion settings.
That option is enabled. I can see covers on the main page; the only problem is with covers on the lock screen (when device is turned off).
Old 07-15-2021, 07:14 PM   #6
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Pi View Post
That option is enabled. I can see covers on the main page; the only problem is with covers on the lock screen (when device is turned off).
That option has to not be set for lock screen covers to appear.
Old 08-04-2021, 03:15 PM   #7
3Pi

Quote:
I was used to set that option to see covers on the shelves!
I reconverted my eBook and now I see covers on the lock screen !!

Thank you very much for your help !
Old 08-07-2021, 01:59 PM   #8
dunhill
Guru
dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: moon+ reader, kindle paperwhite
Sorry but I can't find that option in my mobi output. Could you tell me?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.png
Views:	635
Size:	179.7 KB
ID:	188582  
dunhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 05:04 PM   #9
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunhill View Post
Sorry but I can't find that option in my mobi output. Could you tell me?
It it the last option, "Compartir el contenido del libro.."
Old 08-09-2021, 12:14 PM   #10
GPS1138
GPS1138 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
I am having the same issue. Books are sideloaded via USB with the default AZW3 options and "enable sharing" unchecked. Where would I check the "personal document" option?
GPS1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 04:44 PM   #11
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPS1138 View Post
I am having the same issue. Books are sideloaded via USB with the default AZW3 options and "enable sharing" unchecked. Where would I check the "personal document" option?
The "Personal Doc tag" option in the MOBI output conversion tab defines a tag that if present for a book being sent to a Kindle will cause it to be marked as a personal document. The default value is PDOC. Assuming you have not changed it you only need to avoid a setting tag with the name PDOC on any book you intend to send to your Kindle.

If these conversion options are set correctly then your book should have the proper metadata to enable display of the cover on the lock screen. If it still isn't working then make sure that Display Cover option is set to "On" in Settings, Device Options. (If this option is not shown then you may have an ad supported Kindle.)

If you see the title and author of the book on the lock screen instead of a cover image then there was a problem in extracting the cover from the book. The cover must be in JPEG format with JFIF (not EXIF) metadata. (That is normally the case if the cover is set during conversion.)
Old 08-09-2021, 05:07 PM   #12
GPS1138
GPS1138 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Thumbs up

Quote:
If you see the title and author of the book on the lock screen instead of a cover image then there was a problem in extracting the cover from the book. The cover must be in JPEG format with JFIF (not EXIF) metadata. (That is normally the case if the cover is set during conversion.)
That appears to be the case here. I didn't realize it was only this one title that wasn't working. I deleted it from the device, refreshed all the metadata, and selected another cover and now it is working.
GPS1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 05:57 PM   #13
omermor
omermor began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (10th Generation)
Quote:
Thanks!
I opened the following bug in Calibre detailing this issue: https://bugs.launchpad.net/calibre/+bug/1943495
omermor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 08:00 AM   #14
maqueca
maqueca began at the beginning.

Device: DOOKU, Kindle Paperwhite 10 Gen
I had the same problem with 4 old books. Thanks to your instructions I was able to solve it. Thanks again.

Last edited by maqueca; 02-08-2022 at 08:02 AM. Reason: response tp jhowell
maqueca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2023, 07:15 PM   #15
Grem135
Grem135 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle paperwhite signature edition 11th gen
I know this is a very old thread but thank you for the information. I finally got my books to show the covers on lockscreen!
Grem135 is offline   Reply With Quote