Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Flea Market

Notices

Old 05-28-2018, 09:25 AM   #1
mercuree
mercuree began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Broken/Secondhand Kobo

I see quite a few posts here, and elsewhere, with people who have upgraded their Kobo devices due to age or due to a failing component.

I am in the market for a "new" Kobo (My Glo got really badly smashed - beyond repair.).

Due to a lack of resellers and really high import duties here - prices are prohibitively expensive even on second hand ones. A second hand Aura goes for around the price of an entry level laptop here!

That said, does anyone have old/unwanted Kobos lying around (Glo or newer) that they would like to sell?

For instance I saw a post with someone whose power button had stopped working, so they upgraded. This is something I could easily fix myself. Even cracked screens are not too difficult to repair, depending on the availability of spares.
mercuree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 09:37 AM   #2
JohhnyMix
Connoisseur
JohhnyMix began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H2O V2
I would just check ebay or aliexpress because they sell em pretty cheap and if you ask the seller to ship it to you with a lower value you have almost zero chance of getting caught.
JohhnyMix is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2018, 09:53 AM   #3
mercuree

I have been checking ebay. But shipping here literally doubles the price on anything. Even if I did the shipping myself I would only save a bit.

After (17% import tax +15% value added tax) + 35% Ad-Hoc tax (we get forced to provide proof of payment and original invoice at customs) never mind the horrendous exchange rate - I may as well just go buy a second hand Apple Macbook to replace my aging one.

Whereas if I buy something that is broken, there are 0% import fees. Likewise components, when imported raise 0% fees.

So basically getting a slightly damaged kobo second hand, and buying the screen/component (if I can't replace it from my own stuff) will mean I end up paying around what one goes for in a First World country.

It works the same with those cheapo motorcycles here. Importers buy them in parts and assemble them here to save on the massive import duties.

Last edited by mercuree; 05-28-2018 at 09:55 AM.
Old 05-28-2018, 10:07 AM   #4
mercuree

For instance, the Kobo Aura 2, if I purchase it new, locally, is 65% more expensive than if I purchased it from Kobo directly.

Not even the Glo HD is much cheaper. They all start at around the same price. People don't understand the concept of devaluation here.
Old 05-28-2018, 03:37 PM   #5
mercuree

FYI someone pointed me to http://chapters.ca quite a fair amount to be saved after currency conversion there. I still sit with the import duties issue.
Advert

Tags
fix, repair, secondhand, sell