Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 08-04-2016, 05:45 PM   #1
tetrault
Enthusiast
tetrault knows what time it istetrault knows what time it istetrault knows what time it istetrault knows what time it istetrault knows what time it istetrault knows what time it istetrault knows what time it istetrault knows what time it istetrault knows what time it istetrault knows what time it istetrault knows what time it is

Device: Kindle 3
Sigil messing up Head

Sigil suddenly decided that my perfectly correct head information needed to be wrecked. It changed this:

<head>
<meta content="text/css" http-equiv="Content-Style-Type"/>
<title>Jennifer’s Magic: Book 1 — Vigilante</title>
<meta content="version 1.6.1" name="description"/>
<meta content="Cocoa HTML Writer" name="Generator"/>
<meta content="1038.36" name="CocoaVersion"/>
<link href="../Styles/styles.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"/>
</head>

into this mess in the body:

<head>
<title></title>
</head>
<body>
(<meta content="text/css" http-equiv="Content-Style-Type"/>
<title>Jennifer’s Magic: Books 1–3</title>
<meta content="Cocoa HTML Writer" name="Generator"/>
<meta content="1038.36" name="CocoaVersion"/>
<meta content="version 2" name="description"/>

When I fix the Head info, Sigil changes it back when I close the document. I have many previous versions of the document, and they all have the correct version. What whent wrong, and can I fix it?

Sigil version 0.9.6 for Mac
tetrault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 06:36 PM   #2
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
What is this meta statement meant to do in an html file?

Quote:
<meta content="text/css" http-equiv="Content-Style-Type"/>
It seems to be saying this html is a css file. Have you tried removing that line?

Are you sure you have an **exact** copy of what was originally in head? Just to make sure please cut and paste from the exact original source of the entire head and paste it into CODE tags here. There must be something missing to cause gumbo to not recognize it as being in head.

KevinH

ps. I will copy your head into a blank sheet on my Mac to see what it does here.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2016, 06:48 PM   #3
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

FYI,
I copied exactly what you have in your head block into a html file "head" element via cutting and pasting from your post and Sigil changed nothing on Mend.

So you must have some other mistake that is confusing the gumbo parser.
Please try copying **exactly** what you have including any xml declaration, doctype, html tag and full head and pasting it inside a CODE box here. Do not retype it as you may inadvertently change things.

I can then copy it out and try it on my Mac to track down what might be wrong that is confusing the parser.

KevinH
Old 08-04-2016, 06:50 PM   #4
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Also make sure you are not missing the starting and ending body tag and that you do not have multiple head or body tags.

As I can not recreate what you are seeing at all with your input from the first post.

Last edited by KevinH; 08-04-2016 at 06:53 PM.
Old 08-04-2016, 06:56 PM   #5
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Or alternatively, copy just that one xhtml file and post it someplace online and then personal mail (pm) KevinH with the private link and I would be happy to take a look at it and let you know what I see on my Mac.
Advert
Old 08-04-2016, 07:30 PM   #6
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
I wasn't able to reproduce this issue with the Linux and Windows versions either, but I remember vaguely that something like that happened to me once when I pasted metadata entries outside the header section and/or deleted a required tag.

@tetrault: BTW, most of your header information will be ignored by epub apps. You only need a title tag, which can be empty, because it won't be displayed by epub apps anyway and link tags for stylesheets etc.:

Code:
<head>
<title></title>
</head>
(Without an empty title tag, your book will fail epubcheck.)
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 08:18 PM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Never seen anything like that before. I can't get Sigil to mess up the original either. If Sigil did it, then we don't have the whole picture.

But first let me take a stab and guess that you pasted your html into Book View?

When I paste your original code into an empty Book View tab (as plain text), I get this back out:

Code:
<head>
<title></title>
</head>
<body>
<p>&lt;head&gt;</p>
<p>&lt;meta content="text/css" http-equiv="Content-Style-Type"/&gt;</p>
<p>&lt;title&gt;Jennifer’s Magic: Book 1 — Vigilante&lt;/title&gt;</p>
<p>&lt;meta content="version 1.6.1" name="description"/&gt;</p>
<p>&lt;meta content="Cocoa HTML Writer" name="Generator"/&gt;</p>
<p>&lt;meta content="1038.36" name="CocoaVersion"/&gt;</p>
<p>&lt;link href="../Styles/styles.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"/&gt;</p>
<p>&lt;/head&gt;</p>
</body>
Which is eerily similar to your result.

Granted, you don't have all the entities in yours, but the metadata is certainly being moved out of the head and into the body and the title emptied. Perhaps you cleaned up the entities a bit first?

Last edited by DiapDealer; 08-04-2016 at 08:33 PM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 09:33 PM   #8
tetrault
Enthusiast
tetrault knows what time it istetrault knows what time it istetrault knows what time it istetrault knows what time it istetrault knows what time it istetrault knows what time it istetrault knows what time it istetrault knows what time it istetrault knows what time it istetrault knows what time it istetrault knows what time it is

Device: Kindle 3
I thank the respondents, but you were looking in the wrong direction. Sigil changed perfectly good HTML code on every chapter of every document it worked with today. The problem had to be a corrupt Sigil file or Sigil itself. I was hoping to learn which file was the likely culprit. I should have made that clear. (Message to Self: Don't post while you're p1sst.)

I solved the problem without discovering its exact cause. I trashed Sigil and every associated file, including invisible files and cache files. (I use the free utility EasyFind from DEVONtechnologies to find the files.) I reinstalled Sigil that was happy with the correct <head> and meta items. I used Find and Replace All to fix the weird errors.
tetrault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 12:10 AM   #9
KevinH
Sigil Developer

I really find that very hard to accept. Cache files are removed upon exit and never reused, and corruption of the ini may cause segfaults but shouldn't change documents head elements consistently. Also the main Sigil binary is code signed and the signature includes checksums for key pieces. If corruption happens, the signature test will fail and the OS will abort it.

So something else strange is going on. Sounds like memory issues coupled with alsr/pie security moving the binary load location into and out of bad memory banks when loaded to someplace else.

Either way, glad you have it working again. If it happens again, you may want to check the integrity of both your memory and your hd/ssd/storage device.

Last edited by KevinH; 08-05-2016 at 12:23 AM.