Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 07:43 PM   #856
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
PM sent.
Old 09-20-2018, 04:40 PM   #857
cypher
cypher began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Firmware Upgarde - Hung

Hi,

would it be possible for someone to send me the link for the N905C firmware please.

I'm hoping to reverse engineer the upgrade by removing the offending files.

Worst case I'll re-flash the SD card

On another note, does anyone know whether all the firmware versions for the N905C (going back to 2.1.5), required the device to be setup with a KOBO account ??

I have the original N905 and you could bypass setting it up, but I havent'y found an option on my mum's Touch.

Thanx in advance.
Advert
Old 09-20-2018, 07:30 PM   #858
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypher View Post
Hi,

would it be possible for someone to send me the link for the N905C firmware please.

I'm hoping to reverse engineer the upgrade by removing the offending files.
What do you actually want to do? If you want to go back a few firmware versions, just install that version over the current setup. If you want to go back further, do a factory reset and intercept the upgrade during setup and install firmware version you want to.
Quote:
Worst case I'll re-flash the SD card
The image is only needed if the device has stopped working. If it can boot, there are simpler options.
Quote:
On another note, does anyone know whether all the firmware versions for the N905C (going back to 2.1.5), required the device to be setup with a KOBO account ??

I have the original N905 and you could bypass setting it up, but I havent'y found an option on my mum's Touch.
The 1.9.x firmware could be setup without logging in, but were things you couldn't do until you did. All the more recent firmware needs an account. The simplest thing to do is give a fake email address. They aren't checked, it just needs to look OK. Otherwise, you can do a database update to set a fake account in all firmware versions. It has been discussed here plenty of time, so I suggest doing a search for it.

I haven't sent the link to the image as it doesn't sound like you actually need it. If I'm wrong and the device is not booting at all, tell me and I'll send it on.
Old 09-21-2018, 03:07 AM   #859
cypher
cypher began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Hi David
Thanx for taking the time with your reply.

I tried (unsuccessfully) to load v1.9 firmware on to a N905C with (what I thought was the right driver packages), however I must of missed something as the Kobo won't boot nor will it hard reset.

The screen is stuck on the Word restarting.

I'll have a look through the forum for stripping out the associated email address.

Reasons for all this is

I didn't want the KOBO Wi-FI enabled at all (I use Caliber for side loading books) and wanted as much battery life as possible.
Therefore the only other way to set up the device was having to install the Kobo desktop software (again something I feel I don't actually want).

However I obviously made a fundamental mistake with the firmware (wish I'd thought about a backup) as I wrongly assumed a Hard Reset would just take me back to the last known good OS.

If you can send a link to the Vanilla N905C firmware I'll reflash the entire card.

Thanx again in advance.
Old 09-21-2018, 03:49 AM   #860
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypher View Post
Hi David
Thanx for taking the time with your reply.

I tried (unsuccessfully) to load v1.9 firmware on to a N905C with (what I thought was the right driver packages), however I must of missed something as the Kobo won't boot nor will it hard reset.
And that is "not working as expected". The N905C was released after firmware 2.0 was released. It was released at the same time as the Glo, so it probably came with version 2.1.4. Anything earlier wouldn't have support for the hardware in it.
Quote:
The screen is stuck on the Word restarting.

I'll have a look through the forum for stripping out the associated email address.

Reasons for all this is

I didn't want the KOBO Wi-FI enabled at all (I use Caliber for side loading books) and wanted as much battery life as possible.
Therefore the only other way to set up the device was having to install the Kobo desktop software (again something I feel I don't actually want).
If that is all you want, then just turn the WiFi off. The device doesn't use if it is off. It won't even prompt you to turn it on unless you start a sync or try the browser. And you can set it up with a fake email address and then turn WiFi off. Kobo doesn't validate them except to make sure they look real.
Quote:
However I obviously made a fundamental mistake with the firmware (wish I'd thought about a backup) as I wrongly assumed a Hard Reset would just take me back to the last known good OS.

If you can send a link to the Vanilla N905C firmware I'll reflash the entire card.
Yes, you need the image. PM sent.
Advert
Old 09-28-2018, 05:18 AM   #861
ljozsa
ljozsa began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch N905C
Hi,

I have rewritten original firmware in my Kobo Touch N905C and didn't back up the original.:-/ Now I'd like to go back to the original firmware thus I'd like to ask you for SD card image. Would it be possible to get it here?

Many thanks,
Ladislav
Old 09-28-2018, 06:27 AM   #862
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

PM sent. But...

I'm not sure what you did. Or are trying to do. Did you try to install the first firmware over a recent one? If so, I would expect problems. You would really need to do a factory reset and then intercept the upgrade if you want to do this. If the device is starting, doing this is probably better than using an image.
Old 09-28-2018, 07:22 AM   #863
ljozsa

Many thanks for the link David. I replaced the original firmware with custom Android image and now I'm trying to get back to the original firmware. I have downloaded the file and writing the image to the SD card. We'll see how it goes then.
Old 09-28-2018, 07:28 AM   #864
ljozsa

It works!!! :-) Thanks again!
Old 10-04-2018, 05:50 AM   #865
choice2rejoice
choice2rejoice began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch n905c
Hi there,

Does someone please have an SD image for the n905c for me?
Old 10-04-2018, 06:22 AM   #866
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

PM sent.
Old 10-04-2018, 11:13 AM   #867
mastablasta
mastablasta began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo 905C
Could you send me the image as well for the 905C? Thanks very much!
Old 10-04-2018, 07:37 PM   #868
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

PM sent.
Old 10-15-2018, 05:22 PM   #869
ChangtCruz
ChangtCruz began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch 905C
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
PM sent.
Hi David. Could you please send me the image as well for the N905C? I don't really have much experience regarding this device as i'm doing this for a friend. I've fully reformatted the SD Card since the device keeps on crashing even when trying to perform the manual factory reset. Any guidelines or step by step process on how i can transfer the image the SD card successfully? Or is it just a matter of copying and pasting all the files directly to the card? Thanks and Regards. Carl.
Old 10-15-2018, 07:20 PM   #870
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

PM sent.

You need to write the image to the card. See Memory Upgrade Mod Guide. That is for the Glo, but the basic steps and tools needed are the same.
Closed Thread