Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-15-2011, 02:15 AM   #31
George's Kindle
Enthusiast
George's Kindle does all things with Zen-like beautyGeorge's Kindle does all things with Zen-like beautyGeorge's Kindle does all things with Zen-like beautyGeorge's Kindle does all things with Zen-like beautyGeorge's Kindle does all things with Zen-like beautyGeorge's Kindle does all things with Zen-like beautyGeorge's Kindle does all things with Zen-like beautyGeorge's Kindle does all things with Zen-like beautyGeorge's Kindle does all things with Zen-like beautyGeorge's Kindle does all things with Zen-like beautyGeorge's Kindle does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: kindle 3
I just updated to 3.3.

prior to update: K3w with firmware 3.1, jailbreak, screensaver hack, launch pad, mplayer, update physkbd 0.7.

Installation of 3.3 without prior removal of the hack - went through smoothly.

Jailbreak, screensaver hack, launch pad, mplayer, update physkbd, access to screensaver folder - all of this is still working after update to 3.3
George's Kindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 06:35 AM   #32
calvin
DRM remover
calvin began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, 4 & Touch, iPhone/iPad, Hanvon N516 (OpenInkpot)
that sounds good, my configuration and installed apps are nearly the same! So I will update my kindle soon.
calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2011, 07:57 AM   #33
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin View Post
that sounds good, my configuration and installed apps are nearly the same! So I will update my kindle soon.
The download links for the German folks can be found here, Calvin.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 02:11 PM   #34
metoo999
Enthusiast
metoo999 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
I don't know what's different. I had Yifanlu's jailbreak, screensaver hack, launchpad and probably some other things. I tried uninstalling the hacks, formatting to factory default, but no go. I double-checked that I downloaded the right 3.3 file for my Kindle 3 Wifi.

It's no big deal as the new features don't mean much to me, but it is annoying that I can't upgrade my firmware.

My firmware is 3.1 (558700031). I thought maybe it was because I had installed the provider hack months ago, so I tried uninstalling that, but no go (I'm not even sure if I had uninstalled in months ago after the 3.1 jailbreak came out).

Last edited by metoo999; 10-15-2011 at 03:30 PM.
metoo999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 02:22 PM   #35
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimW View Post
I got an email from Kindle customer support outlining the update features. I don't recall getting an email about any previous updates:

Dear Kindle Customer,

As a past user of the Kindle Personal Documents Service, we are pleased to let you know about some improvements:
• Your documents are now automatically archived in your Kindle library (you can control this from the Manage Your Kindle page at www.amazon.com/manageyourkindle).
• Archived documents can be re-downloaded from your archive to the all-new Kindle and Kindle Touch devices, as well as Kindle Keyboard (Kindle 3rd Generation--requires the latest software update v3.3 from www.amazon.com/kindlesoftwareupdates) – you will be able to find and download your documents from any of these devices that are registered to your account.
• Now (just as with Kindle books) Whispersync automatically synchronizes your last page read, bookmarks and annotations for your documents (with the exception of PDFs) across devices.

We expect to extend these features to Kindle Fire and Kindle apps (such as Kindle Cloud Reader, Kindle for Android, Kindle for iPhone, Kindle for PC, and Kindle for Mac) in the coming months.

You can control these new features from the Manage Your Kindle page at www.amazon.com/manageyourkindle where you can see a list of your archived documents, re-deliver documents to your Kindle, delete any document from archive, or even turn off archiving for your account.

Learn more about the Kindle Personal Documents Service from our help pages at www.amazon.com/kindlepersonaldocuments.

Thank you for choosing Kindle,

Amazon.com Kindle Support
I got the email but no update (and yes I made sure my wifi was on).
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2011, 03:42 PM   #36
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
I got the email but no update (and yes I made sure my wifi was on).
Did you do a "sync and check for new items" from the menu?
Zeebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 03:54 PM   #37
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeebra View Post
I got the same email and did what you suggested and still no firmware update. But I'm in no big hurry for it, so I guess I'll get it when I get it.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 04:06 PM   #38
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
I tried the wifi, no dice. Had to download it and update via usb.
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 04:07 PM   #39
force
force began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 3G B00A
Quote:
Originally Posted by metoo999 View Post
I don't know what's different. I had Yifanlu's jailbreak, screensaver hack, launchpad and probably some other things. I tried uninstalling the hacks, formatting to factory default, but no go. I double-checked that I downloaded the right 3.3 file for my Kindle 3 Wifi.

It's no big deal as the new features don't mean much to me, but it is annoying that I can't upgrade my firmware.

My firmware is 3.1 (558700031). I thought maybe it was because I had installed the provider hack months ago, so I tried uninstalling that, but no go (I'm not even sure if I had uninstalled in months ago after the 3.1 jailbreak came out).
Same was here aswell (same firmware), but now its went through.
I did a factory reset, than installed jailbreak, screensaver hack, launchpad, usbnetwork and at last the update_kindle_3.3_B00A.bin.
If still no go, than
1. backup your rootfs: dd if=/dev/mmcblk0p1 of=/mnt/us/mmcblk0p1.img
2. under Linux mount: sudo mount ./mmcblk0p1.img /mnt -o loop
3. search the incorrect files: sudo md5deep -o f -nM rootfs_md5_list.txt -r /mnt >> failed_hash_list.txt
4. replace the listed files with the original ones
Good luck
Attached Files
File Type: txt rootfs_md5_list.txt (172.0 KB, 551 views)
force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 04:54 PM   #40
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeebra View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
I got the same email and did what you suggested and still no firmware update. But I'm in no big hurry for it, so I guess I'll get it when I get it.

When I first heard about the new firmware being available on the K3 I turned on my wifi, synced, and checked for downloads. I got the email at midnight, saw it this morning and did it again. I just tried again - nothing.
Old 10-15-2011, 04:57 PM   #41
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post

When I first heard about the new firmware being available on the K3 I turned on my wifi, synced, and checked for downloads. I got the email at midnight, saw it this morning and did it again. I just tried again - nothing.
I've never gotten a firmware update automatically. I know others have but I always had to manually update my K3.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 05:06 PM   #42
metoo999
Enthusiast
metoo999 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by force View Post
Same was here aswell (same firmware), but now its went through.
I did a factory reset, than installed jailbreak, screensaver hack, launchpad, usbnetwork and at last the update_kindle_3.3_B00A.bin.
If still no go, than
1. backup your rootfs: dd if=/dev/mmcblk0p1 of=/mnt/us/mmcblk0p1.img
2. under Linux mount: sudo mount ./mmcblk0p1.img /mnt -o loop
3. search the incorrect files: sudo md5deep -o f -nM rootfs_md5_list.txt -r /mnt >> failed_hash_list.txt
4. replace the listed files with the original ones
Good luck
I tried factory install, NiLuJe's jailbreak and SS install and the 3.3 file. No dice. The other steps scare the heck out of me, I'm on a Mac and I use Terminal occasionally, but I'm afraid I'd really screw something up and fatally brick it.

It succeeds on the first progress bar, but then fails on the second one with an exclamation mark. On the lower left is "U006" and on the lower right is, "Step 1 of 2." Then it reboots back normally.

Also of note is after I hook up the USB after the failed update, the 3.3 update file and another 24 MB file have been placed in my linkss folder.

Last edited by metoo999; 10-15-2011 at 08:05 PM.
metoo999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 05:17 PM   #43
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by howyoudoin View Post
I tried the wifi, no dice. Had to download it and update via usb.
Well that sucks. My sister called looking for tech support for the update and I got her to turn on wifi and sync hoping it would update for her. If it doesnt work ill have to talk her through the update on the phone (she's in BC i'm in Toronto)
Zeebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 05:55 PM   #44
jaxsnop
Enthusiast
jaxsnop began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Anybody knows if the my spanish hacked menu and TTS spanish voices will be still after updating or they'll dissapear?!
jaxsnop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 06:50 PM   #45
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I've never gotten a firmware update automatically. I know others have but I always had to manually update my K3.
I've gone ahead and manually updated as well. It was much less painful than I was expecting.